all posts post new thread

Old Forum Deadlifting with overhand grip (both hands)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeanmid

Level 1 Valued Member
I am currently deadlifting with the overhand grip for both hands, doing singles with a short break between each rep (but not max singles, hex plates).

Now, I know that the mixed grip allows you to lift heavier weights, but how much can you guys lift with the overhand grip? I'm currently at about 110% bw, progressing steadily.

I've also started doing farmer's walks (thanks for the link Andy) which should help with grip strength.

I wonder at what point it gets too difficult to use the overhand grip for most people? 1.5 bw? 2.0?

I feel the overhand grip feels less awkward so I'd like to keep using this technique, but it is starting to feel heavy (for the hands).

Also, since this is my first cycle (I started very light to work on form since I hadn't deadlifted in a very long time), should I start a new cycle soon (since it's getting difficult for the gripping muscles)?

Thank you for your advice / suggestions.

Jean

At least double bw seems ok. The mixed grip isn't stronger for any reason besides not allowing the bar to rotate. Just oh double overhand until work sets and then on backoff sets if you want.

I am not a great deadlifter, there are a couple on this board, but in my limited experience I would just throw out "it depends". There is a recommendation in Deadlift Dynamite about where to take your same grip deadlift too, but I don't see a problem with extending it as long as it doesn't affect the saftey for your lift.

A simple idea that you could let yourself be guided through is the simplest of question: What is your goal?

Hi,

I am also not top of the deadlifting foodchain (around 2.5BW).

But if searching for a rule of thumb I would ask for % of your 1 max rep rather than BW.

My observation when doing a 5/3/2 (with obviously progressing weight): parallel overhand becomes difficulty in the last rep(s) of '3', than I need to switch to the mixed grip.

I would guess around 90% of max becomes challenging, BUT

individual grip strength, form of the day, previous trainings and even equipment plays a role (e.g. I have a cheap bar at home which easily roles out of hand, you might use a 30mm bar without rotation etc.).

As you, I prefer overhand in all trainings, variate with snatch grip and switch as late as possible to mixed.

I noticed that trying to have the 2 mixed grip variations fairly balanced (left-right, next time right-left) puts me under a certain risk because one of them does not feel natural. So I prefer OH and take my stronger mixed grip variation only for the late, or max rep(s).

Cheers,

Sven

<a title="View Jean D's profile" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/users/jeanmid/">Jean D</a>, standard, good practice is to stick with a double overhead grip (sometimes called a clean grip) until it becomes a limiting factor, then switch to over/under or hook grip.

-S-

Thanks for the replies, the thing is I don't know what my 1 RM is since I haven't tried, just progressing slowly focusing on keeping good form; I feel the same as for Sven, switching from right to left over/under feels strange to me so I'd rather avoid it.

Today I lifted 90kg and it felt ok (during the lift), but between the lifts the hands hurt a bit (calluses area); however I used to feel the same about 60kg when I started with that, and now that weight feels easy for the hands (no soreness/pain between sets). So I'm hoping it might be because the hands just need to get used to the weight and I'll be able to progress using the same technique.

Jean, it is a good way to start DLing, as it teaches you to get tight and prevents you from yanking the bar.  At some point you will have to mix the grip or use the hook grip to pull more.  It is OK to still use your grip on lighter sets.

Jason Marshall recently pulled 500 with a double overhand grip (his mixed grip max is a little over 600).

Double overhand = 78% 1RM or 2.4x bodyweight for me. That's without chalk so it might change things a bit, but my best DL was also without chalk and I didn't have any problems with grip.

Using DO for warmups until the weight gets too heavy for it is a great idea, I think everyone should do it.

My hook grip is very weak, I haven't spent much time with it and am not any stronger than I am than just with normal DO grip. Avoiding a supinated grip is objectively safer, though, so developing the hook grip might be useful for many people.

I suppose it also depends on whether you want to train your forearms with the deadlift or want to lift the most weight possible.   I prefer the latter.  I get my forearm training doing heavy one arm swings.  When I go dead lifting I want my forearms to be as fresh as possible for my last set. DO grip quickly exhausts my forearms.  I find that using a hook grip does the job for the warmup sets.  On the last set I use the mixed grip so I can lift the most weight.  Every now and then I'll go mixed on the second to last set if my thumb has had enough.

There is an adjustment period to the hook grip.  You're pretty much using your thumbs as straps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom