all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Define "owning" a weight

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

Curious what different thoughts are around claiming a weight is owned and justifiable to jump to the next weight?

I'm not sure if you mean in a particular movement or overall owning the bell.

For the latter @Harald Motz once said you only own a bell when you can bottoms up press it. I thought that was excessive, until I saw video on him backing the sentiment up with a beast if memeory serves! Since then that's pretty much stuck in my head.

For a given exercise it all depends. I don't use the same KB for everything, so if its what I call a "secondary" exercise I'll jump up when I can reliably hit 10 even on an off day and hit a dozen or more on a good day.

For me an example might be circular cleans. If I can hit it for 8 I'm starting to think I need to bump up - I'm sure when I can hit 10.

For a heavier weight on a feature lift like TGU, Bent Press, Jerk, - stuff where I normally hit for 6-8, once I can reliably hit more than 6 reps on a bad day I'm thinking about a bump.

For me it all depends on what I'm doing. I tend to run in cycles of higher intensity to get gains, then somewhat lower intensity to give my joints a break and lock in the gains.

I'm also at an age/medical history where it can pay better returns to cruise at a given weight as long as its challenging rather than risk an injury or more likely, aggravate an existing condition. I don't automatically bump up unless my whole body agrees.

@Bro Mo "Owning" the weight has different standards for everyone in my experience . Here are my personal standards for owning the "Big 6" prior to any type of progression:

TGU - 60 second getup on each side

Double Press - 10 slow reps

Double Cleans - 10 comfortable, easy reps

Double Front Squat - 10 comfortable, easy reps

1H Swing - 15 comfortable, easy reps

1H Snatch - SFG 5 minute test performed in 4:15 or less with zero "no counts."

My competitive event is long cycle. Until I can consistently (2-3 times a week) get 50 reps in a 10 minute set, I don't do much with anything heavier. I call 50 reps the "price of admission", since in most organizations, competitors in my body weight rank with 53-57 reps. Right now I'm at 22k.

I think "owning" a weight depends on what you are doing with it, and what your goals are, but it's an important concept. Most of my injuries and setbacks have been from going too heavy, too soon. A year ago I was consistently getting 50-60 reps with a pair of 20k's and feeling beat up all the time. I backed off and built back up with weights I "own", and now I'm working harder and feeling better than before.

You own the bell in a given exercise if you are able to use the bell next size up for that exercise even if only for a few good reps.
Next size up is of course 8 kg up.

To me, owning a weight means you are can do the movement with the weight hungover the next morning. It shouldn't be a guess if you will get it or not

From this week's Blog article by Mark Reifkind, about as good a definition as I've ever seen:

So what does “owning the weight” mean in real terms?
  • It means being able to do the sets and reps with confidence and concentration. You are not in “survival” mode where all your attention goes into the effort. You should still be able to focus on the details of the lift and what is happening in your body.
  • It means you could probably do another rep at the end of each set or come close.
  • It means you don’t have to psych, get your blood pressure up, or get slapped on the back by your training partner.
  • And, it means the weight doesn’t scare you anymore.
The article is The Triple Progression System Explained

@Pavel Macek
"moderate perceived rate of effort
For me, it's a "feel" thing. It's a smooth effort. It's still work but I'm in the flow where the reps are crisp and I know I can make the time without thinking about the time. I get my breath back very quickly after the set is finished.

@Anna C
"it means the weight doesn’t scare you anymore."
This one resonates with me. I have been working partial getups attempting to move up to the next weight. The first attempt the bell came crashing down as I worried about whether I could push it up or not. Yesterday, I did my first full getup with the new weight. I definitely don't "own" the weight yet. I respect the weight and its challenge but I'm moving in confidence under it. I 'own' my current weight with the getup because I KNOW I can push up the bell with absolutely NO question.

My personal impression:
Owning a weight is when you can move it confidently even if you have not prctised the move for a long time like doing 5 solid front squats with two 32kg bells after 6 month

Hello,

IMO it is when the weight seem too light for at least one month and when I am not scared (without lying to myself) to go heavier.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Finally hit the time targets with the 24k on s+s when I really didn't think I would (I don't test that much) - big ego boost but still feel far from owning that weight and still feel the 24 has a lot to teach me about swings and get ups before I move up.

Not so scared of the weight but still pretty respectful of it - I guess the 24 isn't my b@tch quite yet but I am confident she will be. If only the same principles applied to my relationship!

@Pavel Macek
"moderate perceived rate of effort
For me, it's a "feel" thing. It's a smooth effort. It's still work but I'm in the flow where the reps are crisp and I know I can make the time without thinking about the time. I get my breath back very quickly after the set is finished.

@Anna C
"it means the weight doesn’t scare you anymore."
This one resonates with me. I have been working partial getups attempting to move up to the next weight. The first attempt the bell came crashing down as I worried about whether I could push it up or not. Yesterday, I did my first full getup with the new weight. I definitely don't "own" the weight yet. I respect the weight and its challenge but I'm moving in confidence under it. I 'own' my current weight with the getup because I KNOW I can push up the bell with absolutely NO question.
Yes when one can take the weight casually then it's good sign you " own " it

When the next weight up becomes a reasonably comfortable work weight. When your routine is centered around 32kg going back to 24kg will seem easy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom