all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Density and plan strong

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
It may have been too obvious for the experienced coaches and designers of the plan to emphasize, but Fabio Zonin mentioned something just as an aside that turned out to be the most important thing that I took away from the Seminar. If your focus is Strength, not hypertrophy, then WHEN you get your sets in, is not that important. It may not be optimal but it is not a significant barrier to progress. He mentioned that some trainers get in their PS (Planstrong) sets in between clients at the gym.

I took this principle and did my reps of KB/Dumbell pressing in my office throughout the day and it was effective and not that hard to follow (at least at my modest level).

I think this principle of Density (reps/time) could be emphasized more at the seminar. It is not the same as grease the groove as you are following your scheduled sets for the day. Since this the number of reps is not that high, it did not cause sweating in work clothes. I have a private office, of course, to make this work. You can also do your higher intensity lifts during the day and get the volume at the gym. This works for pressing better than the other lifts of course.

Second,

What is the relationship between PlanStrong and the Reload book?

It may have been too obvious for the experienced coaches and designers of the plan to emphasize, but Fabio Zonin mentioned something just as an aside that turned out to be the most important thing that I took away from the Seminar. If your focus is Strength, not hypertrophy, then WHEN you get your sets in, is not that important. It may not be optimal but it is not a significant barrier to progress. He mentioned that some trainers get in their PS (Planstrong) sets in between clients at the gym.

Strength has always liked rest - the more, the better.

Second,

What is the relationship between PlanStrong and the Reload book?
They are two different approaches to strength training, both of which will make you stronger.

-S-

Yes. When one trains according to the Plan Strong methodology, which is based on the Soviet weightlifting system, what really matters is that he/she fulfills the prescribed daily volume, no matter how long it takes. It is also suggested that if a day calls for a volume that is higher than 30 NL (number of lifts or reps) in a given lift, the best is to divide that volume in two or more sessions, separated by at least 30 minutes. So there are severa options for training with that methodology. One can fulfill the volume in one or more smaller session, or even spread it across the day. And the latter option seems to be working very well. Of course not everyone can afford to train in this manner. Having a private office and your own kettlebells of course helps.

Yes. When one trains according to the Plan Strong methodology, which is based on the Soviet weightlifting system, what really matters is that he/she fulfills the prescribed daily volume, no matter how long it takes. It is also suggested that if a day calls for a volume that is higher than 30 NL (number of lifts or reps) in a given lift, the best is to divide that volume in two or more sessions, separated by at least 30 minutes. So there are severa options for training with that methodology. One can fulfill the volume in one or more smaller session, or even spread it across the day. And the latter option seems to be working very well. Of course not everyone can afford to train in this manner. Having a private office and your own kettlebells of course helps.

Thank you for the confirmation. The only issue I found was to save some of the 70 or 80% RM reps before the 90% so it would function as a warmup. Less than 90s didn't really need a warmup. The 90 or single didn't feel good starting cold.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom