all posts post new thread

Density training for pullups

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member

Started the above, started with the 20rep goal and 10x 4 Pullups emom.
I did that for 3 weeks felt pretty comfortable but not easy.
Just started the second part 8x 5 reps...wow so much harder, definitely at failure last rep of every set after about 4 rounds.

My max startung this was 8/9, not tested after completing the 10x4 though.

Is it normal to go from comfortable to quite hard with only the 1 rep increase?

I don't know about you but I'm about 255lbs right now walking around. 1 clean full pullup is very taxing for me. I've worked my way up to 3 chins at home. I have been doing dedicated biceps work and single reps every week and almost every day for about 6 months to go from 1 pullups to 3 pullups at about ~250 lbs.

I think the weight is already so high compared to the chain of muscles involved that the relative effort is so high that progres by 1 rep per set is a very meaningful increase in ability.

Especially compared to adding 5 lbs to a barbell for another movement.

Thanks, didnt seem like much, only 1 rep, guess it adds up. Im only 160lbs right now

Thanks, didnt seem like much, only 1 rep, guess it adds up. Im only 160lbs right now
I mean - add it up in terms of tonnage and realize it's an upper-body movement. then compare the amount of muscle that would be involved in a squat or a deadlift of the same weight.

Awesome work, Gary. Pullups are awesome and hard
An idea would be is to break it down by set.
Since you can do 4 sets x 5. Your next goal should be 5 sets x 5. Try and add one more set every week. As far as the volume is concerned, after you fail to do 5 reps, just do sets of 3 or 4 until you get to 40.

Did the article inspire you to get any tattoos?

Last edited:
Performing high rep pull ups is impressive and a good goal. On the other hand singles, doubles or triples, weighted or unweighted will give the same or better results if done using perfect/strict reps for the same volume or even less. It just takes time to do.

Back
Top Bottom