all posts post new thread

Barbell Different forms. Are they all right??

Weight

Level 1 Valued Member
For someone trying to get strong(like in real life activities. Not professional powerlifting) they could follow the form of andy bolton, mark rippetoe, Ernie Frantz(made a book called ten commandments of powerlifting. I vaguely remember him telling you to tense your whole body), marty gallagher purposeful primitive(in the book i dont see any breathing or bracing. Perculiar), marty gallagher's article(no bracing): Five Phase Mastery Progressive Resistance Training by Marty Gallagher

, jim wendler 531(havent checked this out), westside book of method(havent checked this out), power to the people bench press and deadlift, [insert whatever other powerlifting books], fred Hatfield's book & etc

I imagine if i asked an expert i assume they wud say a list of forms(most likley harshly writing off some of the marty gallagher ones) and say that of these i can do whichever one i want to

So, is there a right answer??

My view is this: Each method exists in its own ecosystem. Take the advice and cues and particulars out of the ecosystem and you can hang them out to dry (an expression that means, the support disappears). You see it often on the internet. "X says do Y when you Z -- and that's ridiculous because A, B, C" Well, Y exists in the ecosystem of X and loses its meaning when you remove it and examine it within the context of A, B, C. If you take the time to really understand X, that's where the value lies, and you can get the good out of it.

So my advice is to pick a method you like and really delve deep and learn it. If it has stood the test of time, it has value. But also pay attention to those who have tried it, and fallen by the wayside. Attrition matters, too -- in fact, it may matter as much or more than success stories.

Personally I've delved deep into a few methods and come back to StrongFirst because I've found that it holds the most value overall. I think a few other people here can say the same. If you have time and resources, it may be worth taking a deep dive in to many methods. But most people don't have that kind of time and would be better off to go deep into one method as opposed to learning the surface level of many, getting themselves confused and spinning their wheels.

For someone trying to get strong(like in real life activities. Not professional powerlifting) they could follow the form of andy bolton, mark rippetoe, Ernie Frantz(made a book called ten commandments of powerlifting. I vaguely remember him telling you to tense your whole body), marty gallagher purposeful primitive(in the book i dont see any breathing or bracing. Perculiar), marty gallagher's article(no bracing): Five Phase Mastery Progressive Resistance Training by Marty Gallagher

, jim wendler 531(havent checked this out), westside book of method(havent checked this out), power to the people bench press and deadlift, [insert whatever other powerlifting books], fred Hatfield's book & etc

I imagine if i asked an expert i assume they wud say a list of forms(most likley harshly writing off some of the marty gallagher ones) and say that of these i can do whichever one i want to

No right answer. No wrong answer. Many of the coaches you mentioned largely agree with each other and differ on some relatively minor details.

How old are you and what is your training history? How would you assess that you are strong for life? Are you primarily looking at training with a barbell? Are there moves you are particularly interested in? Are there injury/mobility limitations that make certain moves difficult, painful, or currently unfeasible?

A friend of mine who is deep in the world of non SF kettlebells said it best.
"There are lots of variety in safe and effective techniques, but very strict standards in technique."

Which is why you see swings that aren't SF standard done by people who are absolutely safe and strong while doing them. You have to find the technique that works best for you and your levers. Look at the differences between John Haack and Ed Coan's lifts. They are extremely different, but they work great for them. John squats highbar and Ed squats low bar.

Gallagher and Bolton both use a very similar system. 5/3/1 is similar to it as well (they are all cycles of 12 weeks, 8 weeks, and 3 weeks respectively.)

Finally, you have to keep in mind that on the internet people love to trash other systems over minutia that doesn't matter all that much in the long run. If you go on Reddit, they say Starting Strength is so bad that you might as well not even lift. Despite it being "the worst" I used it to work up to my first 405lb deadlift just fine.

If one actually believes in getting strong, first, Rippetoe's Starting Strength is absolutely worth studying, understanding, and following for a while. I truly believe everyone interested in strength should do the SS Novice Linear Progression at least once. "Starting Strength" was named for the exact same reason "StrongFirst" was. They believe absolute strength is the master quality, and have refined all of the details to the same extent Pavel has gone with the swing+TGU.

You have to follow the actual program though. Don't use some bastardized version from Reddit.Buy the books and study their official youtube channel, etc. I have never met a single person who claims they did SS that was actually following the program as written.

Is there a right answer? There is only 1 way to find out. Try a few of them.

Every one of them will work as long as you stay consistant.

If one actually believes in getting strong, first, Rippetoe's Starting Strength is absolutely worth studying, understanding, and following for a while. I truly believe everyone interested in strength should do the SS Novice Linear Progression at least once. "Starting Strength" was named for the exact same reason "StrongFirst" was. They believe absolute strength is the master quality, and have refined all of the details to the same extent Pavel has gone with the swing+TGU.

You have to follow the actual program though. Don't use some bastardized version from Reddit.Buy the books and study their official youtube channel, etc. I have never met a single person who claims they did SS that was actually following the program as written.
Agree. Definitely worth a few months if you have the resources to do it right, including getting coaching if possible. I learned so much about programming from doing this simple program in 2018 that is so well thought out, not to mention adding 40 lbs to my deadliftand 60 lbs to my squat... and that was after doing SFL. Just don't go too far down the paths of "strong only" and " one true way".

Back
Top Bottom