all posts post new thread

Barbell Different grip widths in the bench press

Weight

Level 1 Valued Member
(I'm not a competing powerlifter)

I just grip my bench press where i feel strongest at the bottom

Deadlift dynamite said you can vary your grip widths in training

So, how would i go about changing my grip width in the bench press to wide and close?
(I assume you'd give me a range of what constitutes each and say whatever feel comfy within the range which i would be satisfied with)

Do i even need to do my bench press where im strongest?
So cant i just do a medium grip benh press(an optimal range where i select a grip i feel comfy in)

Also how would i do the closed grip bench press form which is geared toward hypertrophy?(hands as close as possible without stressing wrists???)

For me I’m 5’9”. So a wide grip would have my index fingers on the first ring of the bar. Closer grip would have my pinky fingers on the first ring. A close grip bench press that focuses more on the triceps would have my index fingers lined up on the line of the knurling of the bar.

So, how would i go about changing my grip width in the bench press to wide and close?
(I assume you'd give me a range of what constitutes each and say whatever feel comfy within the range which i would be satisfied with)

So cant i just do a medium grip benh press(an optimal range where i select a grip i feel comfy in)

Also how would i do the closed grip bench press form which is geared toward hypertrophy?(hands as close as possible without stressing wrists???)

I don't know anything about "deadlift dynamite" but I would not change your normal bench press grip unless you're doing close grip bench for tricep work or such. Imo you want consistency in your lifting meaning you want your preferred grip, preferred stance, etc. I wouldn't go changing things unless you have a reason to.

You don't *need* to vary your gripth width. You can just one one grip.

"Close" and "wide" are relative to where your current grip is. For me, close grip is fingers at the transition from knurl to smooth. For me, wide is a thumb's length away from that transition. My "normal" grip - the grip that allows me to bench for weeks and weeks without shoulder pain - is roughly two fingers off that transition.

I will say, ease into wide grip bench and don't go too heavy too fast. If your shoulders aren't used to it, it can be a lot of stress and lead to achey shoulders. This isn't to say don't go wide, but give your body time to adapt.

For close grip benching, keep the elbows tucked (riding down your ribs) and bring the bar down to below your sternum. Exactly where the bar touches will depend on your upper arm length. You still want to keep your wrists and elbows more or less under the bar, so the closer you grip the bench the lower it'll touch (and the wider you bench the higher you'll touch).

I'm a fan of varying your grip width for no other reason than it's probably healthier for your shoulders in the long run.

If you're looking to maximize your bench numbers (i.e. you're going to compete), generally a wider grip is preferable, but even then, for training, varying the grip is a good idea.

I'm a fan of varying your grip width for no other reason than it's probably healthier for your shoulders in the long run.

If you're looking to maximize your bench numbers (i.e. you're going to compete), generally a wider grip is preferable, but even then, for training, varying the grip is a good idea.
How does varying your grip help your shoulders?

So, a lot here.even though you don't compete there is a best grip width and bar path and that should be used until it is second nature

Even though different grips do help with training they should be used I ly after establishing a solid technique...see above paragraph.

Interestingly, the proper path and grip for each person is usually their strongest combo and also their safest technique.

In general, I like to have set-ups go with pinky fingers on the rings. Do that for a few sets and then move 1 inch in or out until you see a stacked set- up...hands over wrist ( no bend) over elbows when the weight is up and down on the chest. I also like a bulldog grip in which the bar sets a bit crooked in the hands.

Deadlift Dynomite is a great book, helped me a lot in form and gains.
Narrow Bench targets the triceps.
But narrow should be straight up from shoulders, not so narrow that hands touch on the bar, that is bad.

Back
Top Bottom