all posts post new thread

Barbell Different rest pause and drop set strategies

Weight

Level 1 Valued Member
I read on the forum that rest pause in mike mentzer's style would be good for strength and hypertrophy.

This made me wonder about other rest pause strategies

I know mike's was(pause=10 secs): single rep, pause, single rep(He never did it in 2 reps. He did a few more than this. He also reduced the weight between sets)

I know dorian's was(pause=10secs): positive failure around rep 8, pause, rep, pause, rep
(pretty much what he did- he considers this as equivalent to doing 2 forced reps at the end of going to failure because he said for one of his exercises he would either do 2 forced reps or substitute it with this rest pause. This is not to ABSOLUTE failure- where the lowering portion is DONE)

But what about other rest pause strategies like:

All out low reps, drop weight + pause, hypertrophy reps to failure

What results would this give in the strength and hypertrophy department?

Trying to use this to change my training to change stimulus so i donr plateau?

What about mike mentzer's strategy but with 1-5. How would that differ in getting strength and hypertrophy?
This is wihtout forced reps. I assume forced reps dont build strength. Correct me if they do(i highly doubt that)

I read on the forum that rest pause in mike mentzer's style would be good for strength and hypertrophy.
Rest Pause

This also fall into Cluster Set Training.

That meaning a short rest period is taken between each repetition or a certain number of repetitions.

Doing so, allows for more repetition to be performed in a Rest Pause/Cluster Set.

It has to do with...

The Phosphagen Energy System
ATP (Adonsine Triphosphate) is the primary energy souce used with highly intensive training (Maxium Strength, Power and Speed).

ATP is pretty much depleted in around 10 seconds, meaning you are out of gas.

Restoration of Muscle ATP

1) 10 Second Rest Between a Rep or Reps

This short rest period allows some ATP Restoration; which enbles you to maybe perform another rep.

2) 30 Second Rest Between Rep or Reps

Approximatelty 50% of ATP is restored.
3) 45-60 Second Rest Between Rep or Reps
Around 80% of ATP is restored.

4) 3 Minutes Plus

100% Restored.
Rest Pause/Cluster Sets are more effective for Strength. Not so much for Hypertrophy.
Hypertrophy
Higher, Non-Stop Repetition are optimal for Hypertrophy.

They produce a build up of Lactate (Not Lactic Acid).

Lactate produces a downstream anabloic, muscle building effect, "The Pump".
forced reps dont build strength.
Force Reps

They work for increasing Strength and Hypertrophy; dependent on if the program is written and executed well.

Trying to use this to change my training to change stimulus so i don't plateau?
The best way to reduce plateaus is to have a coach and good programming. I'm not an authority on strength and hypertrophy, I do like rest pauses on deadlifts in particular to avoid strength leakages and sloppy form. It works out pretty well for me to do one rep, set it down, and reset. I'm not sure that doing rest pauses will guarantee you won't hit a plateau. Making sure you aren't going into the session and always pushing your limits will keep you from hitting a wall. For sets of 8-10, I would find my 8-10 rep max then back off that weight to set a baseline then build from there with that rep range. Maybe week one 3x8, week two 4x8, week three 5x8, then reset back to 3x8 with a little heavier weight.

I have been reading a lot on SF programming strategies lately along with Mentzers Heavy Duty training and have used rhe MM style for the last 6 months. As he describes it the first rep is an all out max effort rep, rest 10 sec, followed by another all out with assistance (if you can get a second rep by yourself the first one was not max effort) followed by a few more reps.

A few observations in my own training Using MM
1. The MM style with the extra rest pause and other strategies is very hard to do the way he recommended. It is incredibly demanding on recovery as the intwnsity is always all out. Very all out and the 4-7 or more days of rest between sessions is a must.
2. I found that the style was great for hypertrophy but meh for strength. Didn't get weaker but didn't get stronger.
3. Workouts were short, and that was great and needed for recovery
4. Worked much better for upper than lower but this may be me specific.
I felt i hit the intensity very very hard as I come from a conjugate/Westside background in PL. As a result of the above I am shifting the training around away from the MM style.

I would also direct you to read on APRE style lifting. Similar but better put together.

My experience:

- Drop Sets, best done with very heavy load close to failure on the initial set. 4-5 reps or less followed by two, step- reduced load sets, close to failure, with as little rest as possible between sets. They do not work well with a moderate or light load to start.

- Rest/Pause, almost any rep count, close to failure, 20-30 second rest, repeat for 2 sets or (!) until you get to a single rep.

- Cluster Sets, as typically programed 3 repeats at 30 seconds using 3-4 reps of a 6-8 rep max, rapid movement speed! Done for 3 sets per exercise. Finish crisp.

Is possible to use these as more of a "gym bro" approach by running the sets to failure, in this case failure is subjective inability to do another full rep count (eg 3 reps), or physical inability to complete (attempting 3 reps, only getting 2). In use this is probably more accurate than guessing if you can get another single rep, since a struggle to get all (3) reps on a given repeat all but guarantees you will not be capable of another full count, terminate the cluster. This also:

- prevents one from training to total failure

- allows for more volume at heavier load, about 20% increase over straight sets in the same session.

- somewhat defeats the purpose of doing Cluster Sets (maintenance/improvement of power output) as conceived since it blunts the rapid movement speed in later sets (in favor of increased hypertrophy and strength).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom