all posts post new thread

Disciplined - A log to stay accountable

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JPCross

Level 6 Valued Member
I will use this thread to chart daily work towards my goals.

Some info I will be keeping track of - date, morning dry weight, resting heart rate, nutrition, and training. I will throw some commentary in as well just to track my thoughts in real time.

Current Objectives - Continue building an aerobic base in anticipation of a half marathon training block (race is end of Feb, 2022), maintain a base level of strength and power as well. Aerobic work and endurance training/sport is the primary focus but muscle mass is (IMO) very highly underrated when it comes to the endurance world, especially as distances get a bit longer. Right now, the half marathon is what is in the immediate sights based on a variety of factors.

- I will be maintaining a weekly mileage of no less than 30 mpw, preferably more. I've gone as high as 55+ miles per weeks for 4 weeks on end and as long as I keep the majority of the work relatively easy, I recover pretty well. As long as I can go into a half marathon block when its time with a very consistent base of 30+ miles per week, I anticipate good things will happen.

- I will be strength training using a few different methods but the main focus is a Quick and the Dead style program. I will add in some addl core work or shoulder health and mobility work as well (likely on running days). I have KB's from 8kg to 48kg in the garage along with plenty of bands and an ab wheel.

- I do travel a fair amount for work so if I am on the road and away from my garage gym, I will (ideally) hit a run and lift when I get back home or will improvise with another strength training session based on equipment I have access to. In the recent past, I have added in some 10 rep circuits of things like pushups, dumbbell rows, dumbbell laterals, band pull aparts, shoulder dislocates, ab wheel roll outs, etc. as most hotels I have stayed in have a dumbbell set to 50lbs I can make due with in the short term.

Date: 7/18/21
Weight: 176.4lbs
RHR: 48bpm
Nutrition: 2518cals; 193P, 62C, 165F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: 10x10 2-handed KB swings (32kg) alternated with 10x10 power pushups (BW) per Q&D protocol.

Notes: Trying to get back into the more normal routine after a heavy week of travel for work. Weight slightly higher than where it's been sitting, as was RHR, but I expect it to come back down together over the coming days to where I had been sitting (roughly 174lbs and 46bpm or so). Saturday's run went ok; legs still a bit fatigued on Sunday. Even though the weight for the swings was far from heavy for me, the constant focus on max power output for 100 reps definitely provided a good stimulus.

Looks like a low carb.
Yes; most days are pretty low at this point.

I like to think of food as fuel and diet and training should really be synergistic.

Unless I have a harder training day with an extended period at higher heart rates, I am really looking to build aerobic capacity and increase fat utilization for energy so my diet is very much animal based with some addl items thrown in like fruits, veggies, and yogurts as a treat.

The half marathon is the most immediate focus but I would like to transition into the marathon distance and beyond after and I know how beneficial it will be to not be so carb dependent.

My two kids are getting older; they still require a lot of time and attention but I've noticed that as my older boy (4 going on 5 soon) crossed the 2ish mark, I had a lot more time. My younger boy is going to be 2 later this year so I am hoping next spring, there will just be more time available to me. The longer distances just require more time training so if all goes as I anticipate, I will be able to give more time to the endurance work next year and shoot for the marathon or possibly a 50 miler/100k run.

Date: 7/19/21
Weight: 175.8lbs
RHR: 47bpm
Nutrition: 2760cals; 207P, 44C, 190F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: Steady Run; 10.7 miles w/ 385ft gain/loss, 8:12/mi, avg HR 150 bpm

Notes: Backside (rear upper back, mid back, glutes and hams) were a bit sore this morning so it took a mile or two to really get into the run; started at 8:45 pace, dropped to 8:25 pace, and then more or less hung out around 8:05 pace give or take the rest of the way. The loop I ran has some decent short hills and a small amount of rolling hills as well but I think running a loop like this vs. something pancake flat provides benefit while building a base. Temps were a bit below what they have been (81 vs. high 80's) at 5:30a but humidity was much higher (61% vs. <20%) so dew point was up and it had my heart rate slightly higher than I would like. All things considered though, it was a solid run.

Date: 7/20/21
Weight: Unknown; did not weigh in
RHR: 41bpm
Nutrition: 2828 cals; 208P, 76C, 185F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: 10 rounds, 10 reps each - Band Pull Apart w/ Hold, Ab Wheel Rollout from 3" Elevation, Band Dislocations

Notes: Woke up with a bit lower resting heart rate than normal. It's happened from time to time where I float down to 40-42bpm and it's happened where I float closer to 50bpm; this night was a lower night. Legs felt a little heavy and upper back, hams, and forearms were still a bit sore from Sunday's session so I decided to forgo the Q&D "power" type work on the day as I find it hard to really generate max power output when feeling sore. I did a bit of a circuit with three movements, 10 reps each, and 10 rounds total...finished in about 35 mins or so. I would like to work up to multiple reps of standing ab wheel work hence why doing it from a slight elevation (makes the movement just a tad harder with more stretch). Wednesday's training will be up in the air because of work; I have a 4 1/2 hour drive to an appointment, a ~2 hour appointment, and a 4 1/2 hour drive home. If I get home when I am hoping, I will be tagging my wife out from kid duty so she can get to her kickboxing class...if that happens (which I think it will), I will run Thursday morning before work and try to get a lift in during the afternoon.

Date: 7/21/21
RHR: 49bpm
Nutrition: 1298 cals; 105P, 78C, 61F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: None

Notes: Not a good day overall but it is what it is. Woke up much earlier than normal which is what I think contributed to the higher resting heart rate (lack of quality sleep). 9 + hours in the car for work plus a 2 hour work appointment left me very much underfueled and underhydrated on the day so by the time I got home, even though I had done less than 5k steps worth of movement, I was just beat. Planning on hitting an easy run on Thursday morning and either strength training in the afternoon or on Friday depending on how the day goes as my older has testing Thursday afternoon for his next belt in taekwondo and I want to make sure he's prepared. I will likely run both Saturday morning and Sunday morning, targeting 20+ miles across the weekend, as they generally are a bit more open for me schedule wise.

Date: 7/22/21
RHR: 48bpm
Nutrition: 1875 cals; 199P, 70C, 90F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: Progression run; 9.4 miles w/ 299ft gain/loss, 7:59/mi, avg HR 165bpm

Notes: Woke up to my alarm and felt a bit dehydrated so opted to push my run to a few hours later than normal (8:30ish start as opposed to 5:30) so I could get some fluids in first; this was the right call but unfortunately those three hours allowed the temps to get up and the humidity was higher than normal again so dew point made the run a bit tough. I told myself to go out very, very easy and that I didn't want to dip under 8:30/mi at all as I wanted it to be a very easy run after a day or two of feeling less than good. Checked the watch at the first mile and clocked in at 8:13, told myself to stay true to being disciplined and slow down a bit, clocked in at 8:09 for the second mile. Ended up just caving and pushed pace despite the food/fluids the last couple of days being off and temps being high. Run went ok on the whole; I've had similar distance/avg pace runs with slightly lower heart rate in the recent past but conditions were more ideal (coming off better sleep/hydration, cooler temps and lower humidity, etc.). My older son tested in the afternoon for his next belt at taekwondo and passed so we celebrated with a meal at his favorite place - El Pollo Loco. My calories were a bit low on the day given the training and expenditure but protein is where it needed to be so not terribly concerned. The plan will be to get a strength training session in on Friday, Q&D style, then runs on Saturday and Sunday morning as temps should be good (albeit humidity up) at easy pace, with discipline to stay at easy pace.

Date: 7/23/2021
RHR: 46bpm
Nutrition: 2556cals; 207P, 57C, 158F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: 10x10 2-handed KB swings (32kg) alternated with 10x10 power pushups (BW) per Q&D protocol.

Notes: Half decent night of sleep from Thursday to Friday and felt like it would be a good day to train hard with the kettlebells and power pushups. Got my training done mid to late morning and overall the session went pretty good, felt like I was able to produce a lot of power on the swings. Pushups started strong but I feel like I faded a little towards the end so I will need to make sure I am giving proper attention and intent to each rep of each set for both movements. On the 9th round, I tore a callous on my left hand so it may be a few days until I hit swings again as I want to make sure that starts to heal first.

Date: 7/24/2021
Weight: 174.6lbs
RHR: 46bpm
Nutrition: 3141 cals; 205P, 329C, 129F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: Easy run; 11.5 miles w/ 367ft gain/loss, 8:25/mi, avg HR 152bpm

Notes: Woke up feeling pretty good but took some extra time to get fluids and coffee in before the run. Dew point was 65 and I did a better job taking that into account when it came to setting a target pace/HR and staying disciplined to hitting it. The goal was to hit anywhere from 8:30/mi - 8:45/mi with an average heart rate at 150bpm or less; pace was just a tad quicker and heart rate a few beats faster but happy with it overall. Based on everything I have read, it seems like pace takes about a 4% hit, give or take, with the dew point where it was. That works out to being able to hold 8:05/mi pace with similar heart rate and elevation gain/loss...if I extrapolate that out to much more ideal conditions and a flatter course I will be running, I am setting myself up with a good base (provided I can maintain at worst or improve further). Nutrition was clearly a bit off from where it normally is but the wife wanted to grab some all you can eat sushi as a late lunch and I am not one to turn down a meal.

I see you are eating a lot of proteins. How do you feel? My intake is about 1g/kg of bodyweight. BTW I'm on keto.

I see you are eating a lot of proteins. How do you feel? My intake is about 1g/kg of bodyweight. BTW I'm on keto.
I do shoot for a minimum of 1g/lb of bodyweight in protein but end up over that in most cases; years ago, I used to push this even higher but have since pulled back.

If you are strength training or even training for endurance (protein intake is highly underrated in this area), I would guess you could see a benefit by increasing past 1g/kg of bodyweight, provided you don't have any health conditions that would be impacted.

Here is an article that summarizes a lot of research done on protein intake, especially in athletes.

Date: 7/25/21
Weight: 176.4lbs
RHR: 47bpm
Nutrition: 2191 cals; 192P, 69C, 126F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training:
1). 5 rounds, 10 reps each - Band Pull Apart w/ Hold, Pushup (from handles), Band Pull Apart w/ Hold, Ab Wheel Rollout, Band Dislocates
2). 5 rounds, 10 reps each - Band Pull Apart w/ Hold, Ab Wheel Rollout, Band Dislocates

Notes: Weight was up slightly from the sushi fest on Saturday which I was not shocked about. I did have a hard time getting up and out of bed in the morning, just felt like I needed to sleep more, but the kids both had me up pretty early and because I normally work during the week, I got up with them so my wife could get some extra sleep as she is normally up with them during the week. This had my training pushed off to later in the day and I ended up doing 2 different circuits in the garage as opposed to running while my older son worked on some forms and combos and a new elbow strike on his bag. Overall, hit 150 reps of pull aparts, 50 reps of pushups from an position that gave me more of a stretch, 100 reps of ab wheel rollouts, and 100 reps of band dislocates. The weather looks to be pretty crappy here on Monday but should be able to get in a run at some point during the day.

Date: 7/26/2021
Weight: 176.2lbs
RHR: 45bpm
Nutrition: 2946 cals; 204P, 107C, 191F (per MyFitnessPal)

Training: Easy/Steady Run; 10.7 miles w/ 370ft gain/loss, 8:23/mi, avg HR 153bpm

Notes: Solid day of training again. A few numbers may not show it per se, but as I dive into the details, it was a great deposit into the endurance bank so to speak. Weight is staying a bit higher these last few days but I am not concerned and actually pleased; when I end up transitioning into a half marathon (or longer) prep block, I am willing to bet weight will come down naturally from the increased workload and mileage. Run was a tad shorter than the last but had similar elevation changes, pace was a few seconds faster and heart rate was one beat per minute higher, making the performance look pretty darn comparable on paper. BUT, dew point was 72 when I left the house and 73 when I came back (as opposed to 65), making it even tougher conditions and around a 5%-6% affect on pace or performance. This was also a run with a meal in my stomach as opposed to my normal fasted runs and I have found that running fasted, provided it is early in the day, normally results in a little lower heart rate. For me to be able to hold that pace for that distance and feel pretty comfortable is a great thing! Tuesday will likely be a Q&D style session with two movements. I have not yet decided which two as it will depend on how the torn callous is healing; if its not 100%, I don't want to risk another tear and will do hill sprints alternated with power pushups as opposed to swings alternated with power pushups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom