all posts post new thread

Kettlebell discomfort is elbow during renegade row

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

King Cobra Fit

Matt - CSEP-CPT, SFG I, FMS I&II
Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to throw this questions out there. I find that during double bell renegade rows I get pain/discomfort in the outside both elbows. Its not while pulling, its more while stabilising on the handles and after the reps once up and walking away from the bells. There have been times that a dull pain sticks around for days.

I've tried internal/external rotation positions of the arms, angling the handles of the bells, lighter/heavier bells....nothing seems to make it any better (or worse).

I've substituted them for inverted rows, renegade rows with the non-working arm on a slightly elevated platform and pull-ups, but really like the challenge of the full renegade row.....

Anyone experience this, or have any suggestions. I'm following the Total Tension Complex and like following it as closely to written as poss.

thanks everyone, much respect for everyone here

Oh and Happy Halloween!

@King Cobra Fit I have had a similar issue, but mine was related to over training the military press.

I realized that with most kettlebell training, there is a lack of horizontal pushing movements. For myself, I implemented a GTG daily routine for push-ups (2,000 total this month) as well as working the Bottoms Up carry and Press into my warmup drills.

I believe these movements contributed to an increase in my anterior chain stiffness, lat activation and hypertrophy of all 3 heads of the Triceps. Add up all three and the elbow pain is now gone.

That's a good point @natewhite39 I have been doing endless amounts of overhead work and I'm cycling back in to GS practice for two arm long cycle (TALC). I'm totally on board with Jon Engum and believe happiness truly is putting heavy things over head haha, but need to balance it out I guess ;)
I do use bottoms up presses in my warm-up but I will add some carry's into my day. as well as pushups.
see how that treats me.

Thanks for sharing Brother!

Keep close tabs on that, it sounds like it could be Archer's Elbow (tendonitis). It could be from the serious grip exertion needed to stabilize, or it could be from the repetitive pulling.

It can give you trouble when pulling, or right after as the tension is released. I used to shoot a lot of Bow, wound up with this condition for a few - severe pain in the outside of the elbow.

Had the same thing with ttc. I've never run it before so was a bit wary of my chosen weights. After a couple of weeks had some elbow pain and dropped the weight of the bell for the rows and flipped the bell on its side, to avoid the grip tension. Resolved totally, continued like so for the next 2 weeks and then the final 2 weeks gripped the bell's handle again and had no problems. Flipping the bell on its side, maybe? Takes away the greater grip tension for stabilising. May give some respite with just a minor tweak?

I have a similar pain on the inside of my elbow that hurts the worst with heavy grip work - I believe it's from a lot of pressing but only hurts with heavy grip work at lockout. I think ice and rest are the only things that help it unless it needs surgery. You could try not locking out all the way - though you won't be able to hold it as long, which might be good in it's own way.

Hey thanks very much for sharing guys. Nice to know that I'm in such good company with this haha.

I've been using a small step for the "post" hand and that has helped quite a bit, the discomfort is slowly getting better so that's a good thing.

I have been hammering my grip 5-6 days per week lately, between TTC with MOTM snatches, S&S on off days and one day a week of GS practice. I might run a cycle of BW training in two weeks once I'm finished TTC to give the ol claws a break before jumping back into GS training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom