all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Distribution of weights for PS70 MP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fredrik

Level 4 Valued Member
I was calculating the different weights for PS70 and PS50 cycles for the kettlebell MP. My 1RM max is 28kg at the moment. The weights turn out as follows:
24kg = 85,8%
22kg = 78,6%
20kg = 71,5%
18kg = 64,3%
16kg = 57,2%
It gets a bit easier to write a PS50 cycle with these weights but I cant find a weight for all of the zones for any of them. How should I think? I do not want to have 1RM max in the program and don't have a 26kg KB which would be 93% of 1RM. What do you think about using 24kg, 22kg and 20kg or the PS70? Two weights would then be in the 71-80% range. Similarly for the PS50 I wouldn't be able to find one KB for all the ranges. Have anyone tried to write a program with two weights in the same range?

@Fredrik, I can't comment on PS50 as I've never written nor never done one of those, but you look like you're all set for a fine PS70 with 20, 22, and 24 kg. You could even make it work without the 22 if you had to. Yes, two weights in the same range is just fine. You may end up having to adjust how much of each you do in order to hit the intensities you're looking for.

-S-

Thanks @Steve Freides! So as long as the ARI is in the range its all good? You meant adjust NL for each weight in order to find the right ARI/intensity?

The simplest way to say it is that you must figure out the NL for each of your two 70% weights in order to make the ARI come out correctly. It's just one more bit of the math.

-S-

I've used 2 weights in the same range. For example 72.5% and 77.5%. Offers the training a bit more variety of weights and it workes perfectly.
As long as ARI and NL are calculated well there's no reason for it not to work.

Yes I thought that it should work but was a bit unsure. Did a program just to try it with 20, 22 and 24. NL turned out 73, 96 and 91 with an ARI of 79,02%. Since NL of the three was so similar I found out that I had to adjust the variants so that I didnt end up with a negative NL when subtracting for the lowest weight.

I was calculating the different weights for PS70 and PS50 cycles for the kettlebell MP. My 1RM max is 28kg at the moment. The weights turn out as follows:
24kg = 85,8%
22kg = 78,6%
20kg = 71,5%
18kg = 64,3%
16kg = 57,2%
It gets a bit easier to write a PS50 cycle with these weights but I cant find a weight for all of the zones for any of them. How should I think? I do not want to have 1RM max in the program and don't have a 26kg KB which would be 93% of 1RM. What do you think about using 24kg, 22kg and 20kg or the PS70? Two weights would then be in the 71-80% range. Similarly for the PS50 I wouldn't be able to find one KB for all the ranges. Have anyone tried to write a program with two weights in the same range?
You may either design a PS50 or a PS70 plan with the sizes you have available. You may either pick one out of the two sizes that fit in the 70-79%1RM zone, or use both, as long as you make sure that the ARI (or HARI in case you decide for PS70) fits in the proper range. And you don't necessarily have to include reps with 100%1RM in the plan (or in the 90-100%1RM) if you don't want to. One thing you may consider is that of including some loaded cleans with 100%1RM in the plan. In this manner, while staying consistent with your desire of not including 100%1RM reps in the plan, your will get your body and nervous system accustomed to that weight, to the point of finding it much easier for you to press when you decide to go for a PR.

You may either design a PS50 or a PS70 plan with the sizes you have available. You may either pick one out of the two sizes that fit in the 70-79%1RM zone, or use both, as long as you make sure that the ARI (or HARI in case you decide for PS70) fits in the proper range. And you don't necessarily have to include reps with 100%1RM in the plan (or in the 90-100%1RM) if you don't want to. One thing you may consider is that of including some loaded cleans with 100%1RM in the plan. In this manner, while staying consistent with your desire of not including 100%1RM reps in the plan, your will get your body and nervous system accustomed to that weight, to the point of finding it much easier for you to press when you decide to go for a PR.
Thanks for the advice @Fabio Zonin I like the idea of including heavy cleans. I started to think that I maybe could include cleans with the weight I at the moment am aiming for? In my case that would be the 32kg which is 114% of my 1RM. It doesnt feel to far off and I have no problem cleaning that weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom