all posts post new thread

Barbell Do you GTG with Deadlifts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As far as I understand the GTG paradigm, it is not advisable. Heavy deadlifts are to taxing on the centrall nervous system, whereas light deadlifts will not get the job (efficient increase in strength) done. Have you experimented with it?

As far as I understand the GTG paradigm, it is not advisable. Heavy deadlifts are to taxing on the centrall nervous system, whereas light deadlifts will not get the job (efficient increase in strength) done. Have you experimented with it?
No.

I've done high-frequency deads (4-6x /week) following "Justa Singles" and Easy Strength templates with much success.

These aren't *exactly* GTG style, but if you're literally just focused on the DL and have daily (but limited) time blocks, those might be good places to start.

Well, why not to do optimal weight deadlifts (i.e. not heavy, not light) and GTG with let's say 6RM, "sets" of 2 reps, dropping the bar? I personally think it may work like a charm.

Well, why not to do optimal weight deadlifts (i.e. not heavy, not light) and GTG with let's say 6RM, "sets" of 2 reps, dropping the bar? I personally think it may work like a charm.

I can hardly dispute that finding the optimal weight, in general, sounds like a good plan. :) It would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually tested the GTG with the deadlift or weighted squat, as I am more than willing to nuancing my scepticism.

I believe @Hector G used this method to train his deadlift with great success. However, he is a gym owner and it's easy to leave a loaded barbell on the ground and just go and pick it up sometimes. That doesn't work for everybody.

Some movements are naturally self-limiting. Pistols, 1-Arm Pushups, pullups and the like. I can watch you deadlift sets of 5 up to an appropriate load, a load that will RELIABLY create an adaptive response. At that point, we have “customized” an adjustable resistance that meets - and can subsequently drive upward - your current strength level.

But how would we do that with, for example pullups, when the trainee can only do 1 good pullup? I can program 3 sets of 5 all I want, but obviously a different programming approach is necessary when the load cannot accurately be adjusted to meet the trainee’s strength level. Sure, I could program 10 sets of 1 using long rests between sets if my trainees had nothing to do for the rest of the day. That’s like an hour to an hour and ten minutes - just on pullups. So, since we can’t amass adequate volume in a reasonable amount of time, let’s amass adequate volume over an UNreasonable amount if time. Like ALL DAY.

Enter Grease The Groove.

Is this done?
@Kozushi, I believe I've heard that it has worked for some people, but the question becomes one of, "What is your goal?" For someone striving for a new 1RM, what I have heard, and I think this was from Pavel T., was that some people have to go quite heavy for this to have a positive impact. I should try it sometime; I never have.

-S-

I don't see why not, honestly. I leave my bar loaded to about 60 % and just hit it for a single a few times during the day, in addition to regularly training. A "light" deadlift will bring strength gains by practicing the high tension techniques and treating the weight like it is heavy.
This is sort of what I was having in mind, since deadlifts are not my specialization. Like, maybe set my bar at a mere 300lbs, and then when I feel up to it, do some reps here and there during the week. Why? The idea would be to not get sore but to maintain some kind of "Deadlift" strength and endurance that is just good for overall health and wellness.

The Daily Dose Deadlift Plan may be your best option to try out.
  1. Warm up – 2-4 light singles
  2. 3-5 singles (based on percentages on chart, rest 1-2 min between sets
  3. Shoot for 5 training days out of 7
daily-dose-deadlift-plan.jpg

I’m a 65 year old PTTP fan and think that GTG Deadlifting would be counterproductive.

Heavy Deadlifts are great, but are taxing enough that recovery time - the time spent not Deadlifting - is as important as actually Deadlifting.

I’m a 65 year old PTTP fan and think that GTG Deadlifting would be counterproductive.

Heavy Deadlifts are great, but are taxing enough that recovery time - the time spent not Deadlifting - is as important as actually Deadlifting.
Maybe if it were with relatively light weight? Like for me 300lbs instead of 340?

Maybe if it were with relatively light weight? Like for me 300lbs instead of 340?

As I seem to recall from some of your other posts, you’re a good bit younger than me, so maybe your recovery time is less critical. You might want to try GTG for a while and gauge your increases, fatigue, etc., and see how it works for you.

Good luck!

As I seem to recall from some of your other posts, you’re a good bit younger than me, so maybe your recovery time is less critical. You might want to try GTG for a while and gauge your increases, fatigue, etc., and see how it works for you.

Good luck!
The reason being that my main program is S&S. Deadilfts are something to add some limited "limit strength" on top of the S&S endurance qualities. I've also got a bar set to nearly 100lbs for curls and presses. It's just good to do these other moves even if my main program is S&S.

This is sort of what I was having in mind, since deadlifts are not my specialization. Like, maybe set my bar at a mere 300lbs, and then when I feel up to it, do some reps here and there during the week. Why? The idea would be to not get sore but to maintain some kind of "Deadlift" strength and endurance that is just good for overall health and wellness.

Just wondering if you ever got around to experimenting the GTG with deadlifts.

I'm a novice with deadlifts and was thinking of doing them this way at around 150 lb for a few weeks.

The goal for now is to establish sound and safe deadlift patterning.

Is there any reason why one can't do PTTP deadlifts GTG style, like one set in the morning and one later in the day, and also do the same with the press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom