all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double front squats with different-size KBs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zirbo

Level 4 Valued Member
Hallo everybody,
I am not new to the forum, but this is the first time I post. I've read the "Before you ask for training advice" post but I'm sure I'll screw up somehow... most likely writing too much ;)

On to the question: is it bad to double front squat with two different-size KBs on a regular basis?

My situation is: I have a 20kg and a 28kg KB, and since I live in a very small flat (35m²) I'd prefer not to get a third one, since they wouldn't fit anymore in the broom closet ;)
This summer I started doing (once, sometimes twice weekly) sets of double front squats using both KBs. I do a first set leaving a few reps in the tank, then, after a few minutes rest, a second set switching hands, matching the reps of the first set; and then a third and fourth set in the same fashion. I started doing singles and doubles, now I'm doing sets of 8-10 reps.

Since the summer I experienced a nice increase in my standing vertical jump, and never had any kind of pain. All this seemed nice, but recently, after a basketball game, I discussed this with some friends, and they told me that training with asymmetric weights is extremely dangerous for the back, the knees and the hips, and I should either get a second 28kg or give up weighted squatting altogether.
Are they right? Should I really stop?

Some background on me: I'm 28, average size (1.80x80kg, roughly 6'x175lbs) and relatively lean, never had any serious injury except an osteitis pubis (I'm not 100% sure of the translation, in german and italian is called pubalgia...) first when I was 16 and again at 18, but never more since I started stretching regularly.
I never squatted with weights before this summer, but I've been doing pistol squats weekly since years.

@Zirbo, welcome to StrongFirst.

It's fine to goblet squat with one bell held in the center; it's fine to front squat with one bell in the rack position, even though the weight isn't the same on each side; it's fine to squat with two unequal size bells, just switch sides for some balance. Try to make your clean look the same on both sides even though the weights are different - that's a great exercise right there.

-S-

Hello,

is it bad to double front squat with two different-size KBs on a regular basis?
+1 for each assertions above.

It will force you to stay straight, comparing to a bell centered. Make the same number of reps each side with both bells...to make it symetrical.

Regarding to the jump, pay close attention to your balance due to the different weights.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Well to be honest i do, but if someone got big difference i think its better to Clean that using single limb work. But if he wants strength then i would buy 8kg and work on single front squats separetly. But thats just me - i have read in ROTK about asymetrical work but never tried it myself so i cant recommand doing so.

Good suggestions all.

But just to be clear...
... and they told me that training with asymmetric weights is extremely dangerous for the back, the knees and the hips, and I should either get a second 28kg or give up weighted squatting altogether.
Are they right? Should I really stop?
No. They are not right.

Good suggestions all.

But just to be clear...

No. They are not right.

Adding to that, many people, including Gray Cook and Stu McGill, advocate one-sided carries to protect the back.

When you train for quality with focus on proper alignment and posture (as suggested in this thread several times) you greatly improve body management. Moreover, asymmetrical loading is one of the easiest ways to expose and correct asymmetries.

If you work yourself out, without focus any focus on quality of movement, exhausting yourself to a near-death-experience with asymmetrical weight than, yeah, probably not the best thing to you back. But slouching under load is bad for your back regardless of symmetry.
So does slouching in front of a desk...

Hello,

Adding to that, many people, including Gray Cook and Stu McGill, advocate one-sided carries to protect the back.
Is there some kind of limit (a percentage of a centred load for example) and the assymetrical load ? I mean 40kg on the right and 0kg on the left for e.g (this is an extreme example)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' my experience with suitcase and rack carries is that once a single weight gets over half your bodyweight it is actually easier to carry something in both hands. I remember reading (somewhere that I wish I could find) Gray Cook reccomending an 8kg difference between bells that you are carrying. That way you still get a big overall load and some of the benefits of the unilateral exercise.

Edit: pretty certain it was Gray Cook but also could have been Dan John's blog I found that advice on.

Hello,

my experience with suitcase and rack carries is that once a single weight gets over half your bodyweight it is actually easier to carry something in both hands
It is also my experience.

As @Anna C said it, when one exceeds a certain weight, one does not challenge stability, one compromises it. Then, depending of what one wants, it can be an option to weight symmetrical or almost symmetrical, but with a total heavier weight.
eg: instead of 30kg one sided, 25 on both side (so 50 in total).

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I have Suitcase Deadlifted my 80kg and 92kg bells, and I have Dinnie Lifted and Farmer Carried all combinations of my monster bells. I have suitcase carried up to 80kg. I have a 56kg, 64kg, 80kg, and 92kg.

The only load limit is yourself. As long as you feel safe a stabile, push it. Hackenschmidt Suitcase Deadlifted well over 400lbs, and One Arm Deadlifted over 700lbs.(I cannot remember the exact numbers)

What @Anna C and @Geoff Chafe said.
Just like any lift, challenge is good, compromise is bad.

I use suitcase carries ranging from 32kg to 44kg, one side rack carries from 24kg to 32kg, 16kg BU rack carries and waiter carries 16kg-24kg. My route at home has a mirror in mid-point, so when introducing new weight once in a while I take a look at the mirror to validate my alignment.

At SFGII you are expected to do a half-bodyweight C&P... And for many the Beast is above half-bodyweight...

Hello,

I usually do suitcase carry with a 42kg weight. I find this much more challenging than a 2 * 21. However I do my pistol squats with a centered bell because I feel my alignment better that way. I guess all options are worth considering as long as you maintain good technique.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Alternate goblet squats, one kettlebell front squats, and two kettlebell front squats (making sure you alternate sides), and you will be alright.

As Gray Cook said in his praise to Pavel's The Naked Warrior, sometimes the best way to symmetry is an asymmetrical road.

If you want to increase your vertical jump, low rep barbell (back) squats with progressively heavier weight, plus heavy swings, plus GTG jumps, are probably better choice. Please refer to Easy Strength and THIS article by Pavel.

@Zirbo - Welcome!

Yes, you're probably just fine. Nothing in life is perfectly symmetrical.

I typically pair offset weight exercises with ground-based moves (dead bugs, crawls, side planks, etc) to keep things "zipped up."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom