all posts post new thread

Dr Rhonda Patrick - Vigorous exercise benefits

I get the impression that AXE/Q&D type training is not even on their radar, so it's hard to say how they fit in with what these folks would prescribe as an over-all S&C program.

So, I just do what Pavel says and trust that The Party is always right.

Hello,

Basically, "vigorous exercise" stands for activity beyond lactate threshold (any activity performed hard enough for long enough to make you create more lactate than your body can handle).

AXE, Q&D, etc...are all "high intensity training". They are all interval protocols. They "just" change the work to rest ratio so eventually, they'd be considered as vigorous exercises. How you change them is where the magic happens. Most of them have their place in the training table, but their goals may differ. The Norwegian 4x4 for instance (4 minutes on, 4 minutes off, 80%+ of max HR, 3 minutes aerobic break between sets) may be interesting to increase running speed if one choose this training modality. However, this kind of interval would not be considered as "StrongFirst approved".

Most of interval work protocols will increase VO2 max to a degree, even if, based on TFTUA, VO2max is only a small portion of the cardio-respiratory system.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Interesting podcast:

Timestamps are in description.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was just watching her series on youtube. there's another doctor that has her same beliefs and put them into practice on himself and dropped 15kgs. of visceral fat doing some form of sprint work three days a week. He started off as a fat marathon runner, running 5-6 days a week and having a ton of joint pain. Switched to some form of sprint work and dropped weight like crazy. He's now in his early 60's and looks 40.

Haven’t had time to listen to the whole thing. That said:

It’s interesting to see studies and what kinds of outcomes people had from different protocols. It’s also interesting to see how different protocols elicit different adaptations. But it’s always kind of funny to me when someone comes out saying “look at how exercise improves things!” I wish we didn’t need experts to tell people that.

Haven’t had time to listen to the whole thing. That said:

It’s interesting to see studies and what kinds of outcomes people had from different protocols. It’s also interesting to see how different protocols elicit different adaptations. But it’s always kind of funny to me when someone comes out saying “look at how exercise improves things!” I wish we didn’t need experts to tell people that.
Agreed brother!

In his latest newsletter, Micheal Easter (author of Comfort Crisis) states that the CDC and American College of Sports Medicine define vigorous exercise as any exercise that is greater than 6 METs.

I have reviewed my recent AXE (snatch) and IC sessions and the Zones App tells me they were between 6 and 6.5 METs so, by the definition above, they would qualify as ‘vigorous exercise’ even though they are not very taxing.

In his latest newsletter, Micheal Easter (author of Comfort Crisis) states that the CDC and American College of Sports Medicine define vigorous exercise as any exercise that is greater than 6 METs.

I have reviewed my recent AXE (snatch) and IC sessions and the Zones App tells me they were between 6 and 6.5 METs so, by the definition above, they would qualify as ‘vigorous exercise’ even though they are not very taxing.
Do you have any Q&D data to evaluate?

I’ve not done Q&D yet but suspect it would be more ‘vigorous’ than either AXE or IC.
In my opinion you are correct. I ran Q&D for several months during Covid and found that it had a much higher pace than say AXE/A&A. For real fun I ran Q&D with the snatch using the 033-protocol vice 044. That was when the real fun started. It did become more of a Cross Fit type session once I got up to 5-6 rounds. I then switched back to 044 for the snatch.

I am in week 2 of an 044 block following twelve weeks of AXE snatches. The contrast is significant.

If Q&D isn't solidly "vigorous" then I won't be doing "vigorous."
You're good with the Q&D as your vigorous exercise. She and a couple other doctors that have Youtube channels usually see vigorous exercise as sprints with a short rest in between rounds. Q&D seems to fall into that category.

She has an interesting point to make regarding total volume in a training plan, noting that a professional endurance athlete following the 80/20 rule is still doing more HIT than many recreational athletes' total weekly training, and suggests that the lower one's weekly volume, the more the percentage of that volume should be HIT.

Here is an interesting read which takes that to the extreme:

Amazon product ASIN B00LZWEQ7A

She has an interesting point to make regarding total volume in a training plan, noting that a professional endurance athlete following the 80/20 rule is still doing more HIT than many recreational athletes' total weekly training, and suggests that the lower one's weekly volume, the more the percentage of that volume should be HIT.

Here is an interesting read which takes that to the extreme:

Amazon product ASIN B00LZWEQ7A
Agreed, the two or three other Drs. make the same point. If you are only doing 4 sessions a week, 3 should be HIT, one being LISS. But that’s for your average person.

there's another doctor that has her same beliefs and put them into practice on himself and dropped 15kgs. of visceral fat doing some form of sprint work three days a week. He started off as a fat marathon runner, running 5-6 days a week and having a ton of joint pain. Switched to some form of sprint work and dropped weight like crazy. He's now in his early 60's and looks 40.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you remember the name of this doctor? I'd be interested to check him out.

Back
Top Bottom