all posts post new thread

Barbell Drag Curl for PTTP?

Tall guy Andrew

Level 4 Valued Member
Added barbell curls to my PTTP program after sumo deadlifts and overhead presses. Was curious if the drag curl would be a good alternative for strength or if it's better as a mass builder?
I know it's popular in bodybuilding, right now my focus is strength. Extra mass is fine, but heavier lifts are the goal.

Are drag curls the one where you keep the bar as close to the centerline as possible?

If so that is just being more efficient with the lift, allowing you to lift more, which increases your measurement of strength.

Added barbell curls to my PTTP program after sumo deadlifts and overhead presses. Was curious if the drag curl would be a good alternative for strength or if it's better as a mass builder?
I know it's popular in bodybuilding, right now my focus is strength. Extra mass is fine, but heavier lifts are the goal.

Which heavier lifts are the goal?

Biceps aren't really the limiting factor on any lift except curls.

That's just anatomy.

(although they play a major secondary assisting role in many exercises)

Are drag curls the one where you keep the bar as close to the centerline as possible?

If so that is just being more efficient with the lift, allowing you to lift more, which increases your measurement of strength.

Drag curls you let the elbow move behind the body as you pull the weight up.

It's almost a pseudo-row.

Was curious if the drag curl would be a good alternative for strength or if it's better as a mass builder?
Drag curls are historically performed with a barbell. Where you drag the weight up the torso (hence drag curl) pulling the elbows behind you. They are said to add shoulder stability and strengthen the forearms and biceps with a strong contraction at the top.

Last edited:
Which heavier lifts are the goal?

That's just anatomy.

(although they play a major secondary assisting role in many exercises)
Immediate goal is balance. Biceps aren't simulated in my routine.
Medium and long term goals would be rows and chin ups. I know those work the back with the bicep as assistance. Right now I'm relying on the deadlifts for back stimulation. Don't want lagging biceps when that time comes.

Immediate goal is balance. Biceps aren't simulated in my routine.
Medium and long term goals would be rows and chin ups. I know those work the back with the bicep as assistance. Right now I'm relying on the deadlifts for back stimulation. Don't want lagging biceps when that time comes.

Because rows and chin-ups combine shoulder extension with elbow flexion, the drag curl is probably a good choice.

Drag curls are historically performed with a barbell. Where you drag the weight up the torso (hence drag curl) pulling the elbows behind you. They are said to add shoulder stability and strengthen the forearms and biceps with a strong contraction at the top.

Yeah, it's shoulder extension + elbow flexion

Shoulder extension + elbow flexion + contraction. A barbell provides a better contraction because the palms are up.

Depends which muscle you're trying to work.

Biceps brachii vs brachialis vs brachio radialis.

All 3 cross the elbow joint and influence the appearance of the mass of muscles that people colloquially call their "biceps".

That's why bodybuilders do hammer curls, Arnold curls, etc, to work all the angles.

Bingo

Biceps are one of the smallest muscless in the body. They "Aren't the limiting factor in any lift".

Biceps are one-third of the mass of the arms. Triceps are two-thirds.Biceps aren't simulated in my routine.
Biceps aren't simulated in my routine. Medium and long term goals would be rows and chin ups. I know those work the back with the bicep as assistance.
Biceps Stimulation

Biceps are dramatically stiumated in Pulling Movements; Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Olympic Pulls, etc.

Since Biceps are the smaller, weaker muscle in comparison to the Upper Back, the are stimulated and developed in Cpmpound Pulling Movements.

Right now I'm relying on the deadlifts for back stimulation.
Deadlift Upper Back Training

This is an incorrect assessment. In the Deadlift, an isometric is performed by the Lats.

The Lats are to some degree stiulated but to a lesser degree than you believe.

For optimal Lat Develpement. the key is to place the majority of work on them with Straight Arm Pull Downs, Bent Arm Pull Overs on Bench, etc.

Don't want lagging biceps when that time comes
Poor Investment

You obtain more than enough work and Biceps stimlation from Pulling Movements.

It amount to investing money in a saving account that pay 2% vs one that pays 5%.

A better investment in other areas of training will yield you greater benefits.

Last edited:
A barbell provides a better contraction because the palms are up.
More Effective Biceps Training

Dumbbell Incline Curls incresase the loading and development of the Biceps.

It works the Biceps through a litter greater range of the movement.

It dramatically stretches the Biceps in the bottom part of the movement.

Loaded Stretch

Rsearch show, previously posted on this forum, that Loaded Full Range Movement increaase Hypertrophy and Strength in Muscles.

Exercise like Dumbbell Bench Pressing, Full Squats, etc are examples.

Long Length Partial Range Movements

This provides research on the effects of Long Length Paritial Range Movement for Hypertrophy and Strength gains.

Back
Top Bottom