all posts post new thread

Old Forum Easy Strength and Conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I recently re-read the article on the Total Package Strength and Conditioning (linked here: <a title="Total Package" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/a-total-package-weekly-template/">Total Package </a>) and after having tested a scheme of 'advances and retreats' from Easy Strength built around the following lifts in an A/B format:

Session A: Squat Clean and Push press, Bench Press, Front Squat

Session B: Same as A but I use deadlifts for my lower body work

I did a different session each day.

The loadings were as follows with each scheme of sets and reps being a distinct day of training (ie I did 3x3 on Monday and 5x2 on Tuesday.
3x3 @ 85-90% of my 1RM

5x2 @ 90-95% 1RM

2x5 @ 55-75% 1RM

6x1 @ 95%+ of 1RM

5,3,2 @ 80-85% 1RM
When I re-read the article I thought that a good strength and conditioning split using this same set of advance and retreat might look like this:

Monday: Session A

Tuesday: StrongFirst Roadwork

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Session B

Friday: Conditioning (mile repeats either running or with rucksack), road marching, interval work, etc...

Saturday: light activity (surfing, stand up paddle boarding, etc...) I normally go surfing or swimming on the weekends, nothing overly strenuous, just enjoying time on the ocean.

Sunday: Rest

Being in the military, strength and conditioning are both requirements for my line of work and I'd build conditioning days to reflect that reality. Just curious if this is an adequate barbell equivalent of the Kettlebell example given in the article.

Looks like it falls in line with the template to me.  I have done a similar routine in the past.  About a year ago, a buddy and I did the Russian Squat Assault on Mondays and Thursdays and light KB pulls and hinges on Tues. and Sat.  It worked well.

I would have a plan for getting plenty of sleep and food on your plan above.  Doing that in addition to any squad PT or ruck marches might be a bit much.  What do you do in the military?  That may factor into how well that plan will prepare you for your job.

Lone Rider, the weekly seems workable.  The loading is too heavy and not enough volume; the sets and reps were designed by Dan John for lifting twice a week.

Pavel and David, thank you for the inputs. I greatly appreciate it.

DavidT, to answer your question I am currently working in a HQ staff (desk jockey for now) but next summer I will likely be moving down to the line to take charge of a company. I came from a mechanized unit (basically we rode around in tracked armored vehicles) but I'm moving towards a light (basically walk everywhere) sort of engineer unit. My conditioning days for this template are built around the endurance required for anyone in a light infantry division.

Pavel, I found out through trial and error that the template Dan created was not intended for a five days in a row program when I tested the strength scheme of sets and reps over Christmas vacation but I certainly liked those sets and reps. I was trying to keep with the rule of ten and thus I kept the volume low and the weight high when I pieced the plan together yesterday.

I also substitute the squat clean and push press for the plain Jane clean and overhead press as the consummate full body movement as far as pressing is concerned.

For this template what's the volume for the lifting days you would suggest?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom