all posts post new thread

Barbell Easy strength for Squatting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Smolov is definitely brutal. I’ve ran it a couple times in the past. But I’ve always seen great results after running it.

How would you compare easy strength in regards to squat results to other programs you have ran if you don’t mind me asking?
I can't compare the two. I've never done Easy Strength training with the goal of improving my squat numbers.
When I was powerlifting, I was doing WS-like programs mostly with some training cycles following programs like Smolov, recommended programs from PLers and coaches, etc. (my best competition squat is 529 if that matters). Outside of PL training, my goals generally were/are to 'stay in shape' or trying to hit arbitrary very high rep numbers. For getting or staying strong, Easy Strength general rules of thumb are more than enough.

I think DJ probably knows as much about squat training as any other OLer. But whatever, we're getting into the weeds here. Not sure why it's even relevant

It's either completely irrelevant or highly relevant depending on why OP wants to squat more.

Consistency is the secret.

One can follow the super specialized squat program, and spends 5 days/week training. 3 months later they add 20 lb to their squat. That's great! Now what?

How about building the base? Dont waste time peaking, focus on getting stronger. For example. I squat 1 day per week, usually. 2 hr per week (squatting) vs many hours multiple times per week. Is it as effective? I dont know. But let's say it isnt. I bet it is at least 80% as effective. So 80% of the results with 20% of the work/effort? <Pareto's Law> . I can spend those other 4 days focusing on other lifts or other hobbies or family, etc... I know my example is an extreme exaggeration, but you get the point...

Which path is easier to adhere to and stick with? I'm not interested in a 3 month squat program. Mine is for Life. Consistency is the secret.

Regards,

Eric

If there are no specific goals, I tend to agree -- just do something consistent that fits with your life.

But OP says he wants to make fast progress, so.....

*shrug*

I would really be happy if I could get my front squat to match my back squat. I feel like I am a bit more hip dominant due to my leverages.
But I’d be happy just to get them close honestly.

Ummmmm...

If your front squat goes up, your back squat almost certainly will, too. Front squat is often expressed as a ratio of the back squat.

Unless there is some unusual physical or technique reason in your case why it wouldn't.

Or do you just mean you want to add 25 lbs to your front squat, with the assumption that your back squat will go up, too?

If there are no specific goals, I tend to agree -- just do something consistent that fits with your life.

But OP says he wants to make fast progress, so.....

*shrug*
I’m sorry if this thread has been slightly unclear. My original intentions had been mainly to find out if the squat works well with an easy strength approach or was it not suited for such a program outline and why. Just for curiousitys sake.

Then I went slightly off topic by asking others how they would best increase their squats if efficiency was taken into account.
I also brought my own arbitrary goals into the conversation. Which I appreciate anyone who offers guidance or help with but that wasn’t the original intent of the thread.
I have always been curious about the easy strength idea.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.
But I am enjoying this discussion from everyone. Some gold is in this thread

Ummmmm...

If your front squat goes up, your back squat almost certainly will, too. Front squat is often expressed as a ratio of the back squat.

Unless there is some unusual physical or technique reason in your case why it wouldn't.

Or do you just mean you want to add 25 lbs to your front squat, with the assumption that your back squat will go up, too?
Your latter assumption is correct.
Poor choice of wording on my part.

I’m sorry if this thread has been slightly unclear. My original intentions had been mainly to find out if the squat works well with an easy strength approach or was it not suited for such a program outline and why. Just for curiousitys sake.

Then I went slightly off topic by asking others how they would best increase their squats if efficiency was taken into account.
I also brought my own arbitrary goals into the conversation. Which I appreciate anyone who offers guidance or help with but that wasn’t the original intent of the thread.
I have always been curious about the easy strength idea.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.
But I am enjoying this discussion from everyone. Some gold is in this thread

Squat program debates are as old as the internet.

And never end. ;)

@flightposite - I'm have been playing with an easy strength approach to my front squat for the last 2-3 months or more - and although I am nowhere near your numbers - I would recommend trying it.

My feeling, as time has gone on, is that 10 reps is not enough - and that 15 total reps per session seems to work better as a base minimum - BUT I have a squat strength deficit. I'm doing approx. 4-5 strength sessions per week and gently nudging up my numbers without soreness or undue fatigue (caveat again, I would consider my current strength level to be at a novice/ intermediate level) along side 3-4hrs or running.

From what I remember in Dan John's book, 'Intervention' he mentions the 'half lifts' (squats / presses) should have 15-25 reps per session.
I think 15-25 reps are a more realistic minimum rep volume for creating improvements with the squat as opposed to DL which (in my case) tends to go up happily with 10 rep volume per session.

Perhaps if you're squatting 300-400lbs for reps you probably could still get some good return with the 10 rep total?

I reckon give it a crack at a reasonable, repeatable weight and rep scheme - and see where it takes you

@flightposite - I'm have been playing with an easy strength approach to my front squat for the last 2-3 months or more - and although I am nowhere near your numbers - I would recommend trying it.

My feeling, as time has gone on, is that 10 reps is not enough - and that 15 total reps per session seems to work better as a base minimum - BUT I have a squat strength deficit. I'm doing approx. 4-5 strength sessions per week and gently nudging up my numbers without soreness or undue fatigue (caveat again, I would consider my current strength level to be at a novice/ intermediate level) along side 3-4hrs or running.

From what I remember in Dan John's book, 'Intervention' he mentions the 'half lifts' (squats / presses) should have 15-25 reps per session.
I think 15-25 reps are a more realistic minimum rep volume for creating improvements with the squat as opposed to DL which (in my case) tends to go up happily with 10 rep volume per session.

Perhaps if you're squatting 300-400lbs for reps you probably could still get some good return with the 10 rep total?

I reckon give it a crack at a reasonable, repeatable weight and rep scheme - and see where it takes you
Thank you for your insight Kiwipete. I’m finishing up with about two more weeks of 5x5 training but once that is finished I think I will experiment with the easy strength style approach.

Question are you currently doing the forty day program Dan John lays out or more so following the easy strength approach?

Thank you for your insight Kiwipete. I’m finishing up with about two more weeks of 5x5 training but once that is finished I think I will experiment with the easy strength style approach.

Question are you currently doing the forty day program Dan John lays out or more so following the easy strength approach?
Not 40 day programme - just the basic Easy Strength principles -
Focus on small number of lifts, not straining, letting the strength increase slowly without forcing it over time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom