all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Ebooks vs Hard Copy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I read an interesting article today on ebooks in which the author writes about his experience using an ebook reader. I've used an ebook reader for years and I like the portabilty factor. Most of the books I have by Pavel are in ebook form. One of the problems with ebooks that the article flags up is the same issue that I thought that I only suffered with. I find it difficult to retain information when I read it in Ebook form. If I read a physical book I retain much more information. Has anyone else experienced this??

Not really. I find formatting and small pictures can be an issue but otherwise it's electronic all the way for me.

I've never read an ebook. When I get something in this format, I will have it printed and bound for myself. Maybe my age is showing but I find it distinctly unappealing to read content on my computer or phone.

-S-

I read electronic format as well, but I still like the feeling of paper in my hands.

Although ebooks have a lot of advantages, I definitely prefer the reading experience of hard copies and think I do retain information better after reading on paper.

I can often visualize a page of text that I've read, and can usually skim through a book quickly to find a particular passage or the place I left off (I never use a bookmark). But I can't do either nearly as easily with electronic books.

I'm old school, I have a general disdain for e-books. I find it hard to stare at a screen for an extended amount of time, but can easily read a book for hours. I don't know if I have any difference in retention, however. I agree with the above though - it is much harder to earmark a selection in an e-book.

I much prefer a 'real' book, but that being said... I can carry around all Pavels stuff, and Dan John, and some others on my tablet when I travel, which I do a lot. It's great to have some of this stuff at your fingertips

An ebook does not have the value of a real book. You need electricity, a "device" and you have to hope your file doesn't get corrupted or erased by some kind of virus or program glitch.

A real book is really owned by me. I can read it in the middle of the woods if I want to. It will not disappear on me into cyberspace.

It's like being truly strong in your real physical body or creating an online game character that's all jacked and ripped but you yourself are fat and weak.

I buy most of the new books as a an ebook.
Old books (like really old) always in paper - never a modern reprint, or as an ebook.
Pavel's books - in all possible formats, as I need them for reference on daily basis.

I prefer reading hard copies although I don't mind reading on an ebook. Having all the books in one place is great organised into folders and portability is very useful. I have felt for a while that I just don't seem to retain information as readily when reading on an ebook. As to why this is the case I am not entirely sure..

I read an interview with a local bookseller who discussed the market for bound books vs e books. When it came to college text, the demand for hardcopy was enormous, only people who signed up late for a class and couldn't get a hardcopy would settle for an ebook...and would swap out at the first chance.

For retaining info I definitely feel print is more effective but that might be a generational thing.

I don't mind reading light content on a screen but more involved stuff I far prefer hardcopy.

I advocated a proposal at the shop where I work to print single, fair use hardcopy of people's ebook, but no one wanted to deal with the legal hassles. There's a market there...

I prefer hard copy, but the convenience factor and price difference made me go electronic for most things. I don't know if it's different for you in the US/Canada, but over here in Germany most ebooks on amazon are usually only 1/3-1/2 the price of the hard cover...
Some examples:
Naked Warrior ebook 6,49€, hard cover 48,99€
S&S ebook 9,34€, hard cover 35,20€
PttP ebook 5,99€, hard cover 45,92€
EtK ebook 11,09€, hard cover 42,49€

I actually sometimes go back and upgrade from a mere paperback to a glossy hardcover edition of the same book just to enjoy the reading experience more the next several times I reread it.

I prefer hard copy, but the convenience factor and price difference made me go electronic for most things. I don't know if it's different for you in the US/Canada, but over here in Germany most ebooks on amazon are usually only 1/3-1/2 the price of the hard cover...
Some examples:
Naked Warrior ebook 6,49€, hard cover 48,99€
S&S ebook 9,34€, hard cover 35,20€
PttP ebook 5,99€, hard cover 45,92€
EtK ebook 11,09€, hard cover 42,49€

Many titles are cheaper ebooks now. Used to be some titles were only available hardcopy and now its reversed - many are only available ebook and are cheaper as well.

Overall I don't see an issue (even tho I'm employed in printing), but I remember as a kid and young adult our dining room was lined with books. I knew which ones were my mom's or dad's and which ones had been read by my older siblings. By the time I was 10 I was reading at a high school level, I couldn't go to "R" movies but could read all the racy titles on the shelf, so an incentive to develop strong reading skills.

I imagine a world where our kids have zero idea what our parents read or their interests aside from what is directly communicated - there is nothing to passively communicate to offspring or anyone else when it comes to ecopy. In years ahead will current formats even play on future devices that may very well project directly to one's retina?

I am comfortable around lots of hardcopy book but am pretty sure its on the way out with no return. How do you lend a friend a book anymore?

Many titles are cheaper ebooks now. Used to be some titles were only available hardcopy and now its reversed - many are only available ebook and are cheaper as well.

Overall I don't see an issue (even tho I'm employed in printing), but I remember as a kid and young adult our dining room was lined with books. I knew which ones were my mom's or dad's and which ones had been read by my older siblings. By the time I was 10 I was reading at a high school level, I couldn't go to "R" movies but could read all the racy titles on the shelf, so an incentive to develop strong reading skills.

I imagine a world where our kids have zero idea what our parents read or their interests aside from what is directly communicated - there is nothing to passively communicate to offspring or anyone else when it comes to ecopy. In years ahead will current formats even play on future devices that may very well project directly to one's retina?

I am comfortable around lots of hardcopy book but am pretty sure its on the way out with no return. How do you lend a friend a book anymore?
No, hardcopies are much preferred over ebooks. Remember, there are two kinds of books - those you read just once and those you read many times over and refer back to. Ebooks are good for the read 'em once kind of "literature" and hardcopies are good for things worth the paper they were printed on.

My Pavel books for instance are on the desk near my workout area. They are real books that I can consult instantly with no recharging of some ridiculous device I left in another room and then flipping through some electronic menu.

I prefer ebooks than books. I read most ebooks on my phone (5,5" display) which I have always with me. Every time I have to wait - commuting, waiting for appointment etc - I can read. This way I already read 15 books this year. Another advantage is searching through ebooks and instant delivery from the bookstore. Taking notes directly to Evernote. Not mentioning the price.

Of course hardcopies have that true feeling of reading, but benefits of electronic versions made them more comfortable for me.

Last edited:
I now only buy ebooks first. If I really like the book, and I know I'll be referencing the book a lot (like Pavels books) Then I buy the real deal.
Most books I only read once.
It's the price and instant delivery that wins on the ebook side.

On another related topic is people who pirate books and videos. I am one of those people who always pays for my stuff, because I value their work, and they should be compensated for their work. I work with a guy who probably has almost never paid for any books or such. He is so stingy, he is constantly looking for free stuff. Because of this he values nothing, so he has never implemented anything he has learned. The more you value something, the more likely you are to use it!

Al

I prefer hard copy but it's hard to argue the convenience of e-books. I have a bunch of books on my cell phone that I bring with me where ever I go. Whenever I have some free time, I can pull out a book.

I'd pay double for hard copy . Guess I'm old school but i want my book and turn real pages , not a finger swipe.

I love real books. That being said I also really enjoy less clutter and having lots of good training material all on my iPad(and iPhone,MAC,PC,ETC) is pretty awesome.

Makes it really nice on trips when you want to study.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom