all posts post new thread

Old Forum Effective clapping push ups routine?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Calthrop

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi!

I am generally into kettlebell training, but due to slightly overloaded knee joints my orthopedist forbade me from this way of training. However, I can't just sit for few weeks, so in addition to running (as recommended by doctor) I would like to do some explosive work at home (not like they do in Afghanistan of course). It's simply my favourite way of training.

So I focused on clapping push ups, doing 10 in set and resting less then a minute between sets; basically I do them everyday, amount of sets depends on my wellbeing. Do You think I could perhaps structurize those in a more effective way?

Pavel, I guess until I'll be back to my kettlebell training, I'm rather working out in order to feel better - currently I'm like fish out of water. Second thing is I don't want it to be just waste of time, so I also expect some mass gain or development of explosive strength.

I did OAPs two years ago for a year, with freestyle kettlebell trainings and since then I do them like once a few months. A while ago I got to a point where I was able to do completely decent one arm one leg push up with my leg on a chair - for a few reps. I did those also from a dead start. I even did OAOLP with my leg on a table, about one meter over a floor (but it didn't feel good for some reason). I check my form once a while and I still can do those tricks, so I don't feel like developing with OAPs anymore.

If your orthopedist told you not to do kettlebells due to "overloaded joints" (that wasn't the orthopedist's actual diagnosis, was it?), but was okay with running and clapping pushups, then the best advice I can give you is to find a different health care practitioner to address your knee issues. This also brings up the question, what are you doing, and where did you learn your kettlebell technique from?

Jason

Unless I did not fail to translate it properly (I'm neither Brit or American, english isn't my main language) I believe I got it right: overloaded joints. He said it's no good to treat my knees with weights right now. He said - in simple words - that running, swimming or bicycle riding will help to "feed" my knee joints, as they need it in regeneration process, but it's difficult for me to get into medicinal details... He prescribed also a few boring orthopedic exercises to perform in large numbers, cold compresses and a salve.

Currently, I'm only into kettlebell training, in home - for a few reasons, I have no possibility to train with certified instructor. By now I counted mostly on ETK book and video and did my best to get my technique straight, but did not always succeed. Now I know I should have spent a lot more time doing low rep swing sets, because that was the routine that finally made my body listen to me and perform snatches or cleans without issues, once and for all.

My knee injury occured when I made technical mistake and set my feet in too big angle while swinging - it gave me feeling that the movement is more explosive, but in fact, I made my knees work in unusual way. Form checked, lesson learned.

Have to admit though, the orthopedist never heard about kettlebell training and is generally reluctant about most sports.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom