all posts post new thread

Old Forum Eid Mubarak to all !!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I thought that was a Muslim greeting only extended to other Muslims, reserved strictly for the festivals Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr.

Thank you JediMind.

Jeffrey, it was the end of Ramadan on Sunday and Eid al-Fitr on Monday in most places, some regions celebrated today.

I did about 10 days of S&S with 24kg towards the end of a 19 hour fast and last couple of weeks I switched to double 24kg front squats, 5 reps and 6-10 sets.

But I thought that was a greeting that Muslims only made to other Muslims.

JediMind, I had too look the phrase up and so I learnt something new so Eid Mubarak to you too.

I too had to look this up and learned something.

Holiday wishes for various religious and secular occasions (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) have been posted here in the past.

People often wish me "Merry Christmas." Even though I am not Christian, I say, "Thank you," or wish them "Merry Christmas" in return.

This used to be primarily a Christian country, and people wanted to come here, and still do.  I don't exactly see a wave of people willing to leave behind everything they know in order to immigrate to a Muslim nation.  There must be a good reason for that.  I support the right for people to worship God in any way they see fit, but it is hard to recognize the effects that Islam has had on every region they have been able to control.  The greeting made is specifically one that Muslims extend to other Muslims.  Why would a Muslim offer the greeting to those who are not Muslim?

I can hear it coming: This is not a forum to discuss politics or religion, but the greeting is specifically a religious one.

We are all brothers and sisters here, if someone wants to celebrate something I'll be the first to join.

We are certainly not all sisters and brothers.  You can decide for yourself what to celebrate.

"This used to be primarily a Christian country..."

This is actually website on the World Wide Web, and serves an international community centered around a business organization that operates internationally.  As such, this opening premise seems overly broad.

Jeffrey, it's not a specific greeting restricted to Muslims, most of my colleagues (in the UK) happily wish me happy Eid (translation of Eid Mubarak), just as we wish other colleagues happy diwali or Merry Christmas. Eid Mubarak in fact is the common way to greet in the subcontinent, Arabs generally use Eid Sa'eed.

Ultimately no one is forcing anyone to wish others happy holidays, but as Steve said we do on this forum exchange various well wishes, shows the diversity of this strength community.

JediMind specifically wishes a strong and happy life "to all".  No need to read anything else into it.  The Muslims who offered sanctuary to Marcus Luttrell risked their lives to do so.  They felt honor bound and were honorable men.   I believe this is a website for honorable men and women and it should be assumed unless proven otherwise.

JediMind,

I bet you didn't expect this much debate over a holiday greeting.

I admit I had to look up the term but it gave me an opportunity to learn a little more about the world we live in so thank you and Eid Mubarak to you too.

Jeffrey,

I am with you about keeping religion out of this. It is easy for the religious to pass things like this off as a happy greeting (and I'm sure it really was meant that way, so I'm not directing this at anyone here), but you all need to remember something important: the religious texts that Christianity and Islam are based on explicitly say that non-believers are evil fools who deserve to go to hell and be tortured for eternity. It is hard to stomach even a friendly greeting when I remember that this harsh truth lies behind all of the pleasantries of religious politeness.

I disagree with you about the United States having been a religious country. The founders of this country made it very clear that while freedom of religion is important, freedom from religion is important as well, and we are a secular nation that does not support any specific religion.

Well since we have gone there anyway, I would be interested in a little survey.

There are quite a few here who have moved from one country to another.

I wonder how many people have chosen to:

1) Move from a non-Muslim country to a Muslim country;

2) Moved from a non-Muslim country to a non-Muslim country;

3) Moved from Muslim country to a Muslim country;

4) Moved from a Muslim country to a non-Muslim country.

Most likely, whether Muslim or not, most people would choose to move to a non-Muslim country.  Why do you suppose that is?

But, either way, the greeting Eid Mubarak can only be from Muslim to Muslim in connection to specific  Muslim festivals.

Jeffrey,

This seems completely unnecessary. Most muslims are good decent people. They are products of their culture, and it is not their fault that religious leaders in their countries are making poor decisions. There was a time not too long ago when people were fleeing christian countries in Europe because of the horrible behavior of Christians there. Pointing out the fact that countries with Islamic rule are terrible places to live is not proving anything relevant to this discussion.

I've studied Arabic and Eid Mubarak is an Arabic expression meaning happy holidays. It is not a specific muslim expression, otherwise only muslims would greet each other this way on holidays. But I've noticed many people wish me a merry christmas at the 25th of December.

The perilous situation in the Arab world has more to do with the economic and social malaise that's reigning in that part of the world. Islam is not the problem that's bothering the Middle East. Social and economic conditions influence the political landscape and the international situation is not helping improve their standards of life.

I think it would be wrong to blame specific people for mistakes made by others. I would not express my feelings about others on a forum if I didn't know the background of their situation. Besides, this forum is about strength and I can give many examples of strength in the Muslim world. Strength is something held in high regard in all societies. Makes you wonder why they would be any different from us, doesn't it?

Why do religious greetings bother some people? Its only words. How often do we hear beliefs, attitudes, facts, reports, discussions, news, during the course of a day that may be uncomfortable to listen to for whatever resson, and just let it slide?

Although it works the other way around too, that is, secular attitudes would bother some religious worshippers.

In the end, everybody deserves respect, until proven otherwise.

Eid mubarak to all those who observe it or appreciate the sentiment. And a lot of respect to those of you who observed the fast of Ramadan and continued to train through it; that takes serious dedication.

Jeffrey, I have no idea where you're getting this idea that non-Muslims can't use that expression; I've had Muslim friends, both Arab and non-Arab, most of my life, and my Mom spent years teaching in a school with a large Muslim population, and neither of us have ever had  any complaint from anyone for saying Eid Mubarak; in fact people appreciate that we've taken a minute to learn something of there culture. I'm not Muslim, but I can wish others well. I'm not a Christian either, but I don't get bent out of shape when people on this board post Christmas or Easter greetings. I'd rather leave discussions of religion and politics out of it, but I really don't see the problem wishing someone well. I congratulate people on PRs even if it's a lift I don't work on, or in a sport I don't care about; this is no different.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom