all posts post new thread

Barbell Eleiko Power Lock Barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
It's taken forever to get here (Eleiko may make great products, but the USA shipping is slow compared to Rogue), but my new Eleiko Power Lock Barbell has finally arrived.

It's certainly the best packaged barbell I've seen...

IMG_2337.JPG

And even comes with a cleaning brush...

IMG_2338.JPG

It's hard to tell in the photos, but the center knurling is very very passive (my Rogue WL barbell has no center knurling at all).

IMG_2339.JPG

While the gripping areas have the standard Eleiko "Training" knurling, which is less painful than the cheese grater competition knurling, but more aggressive than most multi-purpose / globo gym / Crossfit barbells.

We'll see if my existing hookgrip thumb calluses stand up to it.

IMG_2340.JPG

Now this is why you buy this rather eccentric barbell, which is a recreation of some Soviet "screw on" bars from the 1980s:

The Power Lock sleeves....

IMG_2341.JPG

...and the matching 2.5kg, IWF certified locking collars.

IMG_2343.JPG

Which mount onto the barbell like this.

IMG_2344.JPG

I haven't lifted with the bar yet (my first session with it will be tomorrow / Friday), but my first impressions is that this is an incredibly well made bar. I've owned and used Eleiko bars before, and they've all been great to use, but these one just has a certain sexiness and finish that goes beyond the norm, even for Eleiko.

I bought the bar for -$230 off the original list price (it may not be selling well), which means it's still a $750 barbell, so by no means a bargain. But considering you get the IWF collars ($170 separately), the cool Power Lock system, and what is otherwise a top of the line 20kg Eleiko training bar, it's a bit better value for money than your typical Eleiko bar, as long as you like the Power Lock feature.

I may not be able to recover or make gains as quickly as when I was younger, but having and adult income and nicer toys almost makes up for it...

That’s the bomb! I have been hunting for one to come up used but no luck so far. Just because I don’t lift big weights doesn’t mean I don’t want the nice toys!

I hate to say it, but it's not nearly as good for biceps curls as the far cheaper "Convict" EZ Curl bro bar.

Then it's useless! Send it back to Eleiko and tell them they should have stuck to making waffle irons because they're clearly hopeless at making bars.

Then it's useless! Send it back to Eleiko and tell them they should have stuck to making waffle irons because they're clearly hopeless at making bars.

Before I sent it back to the Swedish cookery makers, I decided to take it for a spin with some modest clean & jerk practice sets.

IMG_2345.JPG

This is one sweet ride.

Quietest barbell I've ever used by a long shot. Even most good barbells, with bumper plates and typical collars, have a bit of clatter when you drop them due to the weights jiggling around. Much much less so here.

And the grooves in the sleeves mean the change plates outside the collar don't move either, as they're sort of wedged in place. In the picture above, 0.5 kg plate is actually a friction grip plate, but with this bar, I don't think you even need FG plates.

And of course, the whip, spin, and knurl are exactly as expected from an Eleiko.

The only downside so far is that plate math becomes slightly harder because the collars weigh 5 kg total.

You may enjoy this - a tour of the Eleiko factory. The Promised Land. I laughed a little when Aleksey said he was going on a very long trip of 500 km. I've taken plenty of road trips. In the US, 300 miles is just "a bit of a drive."

You may enjoy this - a tour of the Eleiko factory. The Promised Land. I laughed a little when Aleksey said he was going on a very long trip of 500 km. I've taken plenty of road trips. In the US, 300 miles is just "a bit of a drive."

Gotta love the waffle iron pic in the company history...

The only downside so far is that plate math becomes slightly harder because the collars weigh 5 kg total.

Have you checked out the "RackMath" app? You can set it up for your weight inventory and collar weights.

Carl in Dover

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190411-001635_RackMath.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411-001635_RackMath.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 9
Very nice looking barbell.

I used to use on that had the same design back in a gym under a stadium back in the late nineties. Might have been one of the original ones as looked old but felt great to use

How's the bar? Update? Do you still have?

Also, How rough in the main knurl? I've hearnd some of these its quite sharp, but I couldn't discern from the guy if it was an Eleiko Powerlock, Rogue Russian knockoff, or a true Russian bar

How's the bar? Update? Do you still have?

Also, How rough in the main knurl? I've hearnd some of these its quite sharp, but I couldn't discern from the guy if it was an Eleiko Powerlock, Rogue Russian knockoff, or a true Russian bar

Of course I still have it!

I'm keeping it for life. :)

The knurl is standard Eleiko comp training knurl...so not as aggressive as the competition bar, but not as passive as the fitness bars like the XF series.

My Rogue EU bar feels like Kleenex in comparison.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom