all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Etkb Bonus!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Joshua
I use some of them as because they mix pretty well strength and flexibility / mobility:
> single leg deadlift (above all for the back and anti-twist work + balance)
> tactical lunge (for balance)
> "8" figure to coordinate breathing and a complex move
> Russian twist (here, I use very slow motion and goes a bit further than required)

I do not use them systematically, but I do them as a variety. I do them about 2x a week. I consider they are very good to correct imbalances and very "functional".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I used mainly :
1L DL
Figure 8
Crush curl
I'd play with the others, and with windmills, but they never really worked for me the way the first 3 I mentioned did. I would do them on variety days, trying to practice carefully rather than go hard. ROP is hard on me, so I'd stay on the low side of the recommended sets and reps

Did you also use the techniques from https://www.dragondoor.com/pdf/etkb_bonus_a.pdf ? I love love love bottoms up presses, and would do them a lot, perhaps too much.

@pet' I found I get the most out of those 4 moves as well.

@MarkSch thank-you for the reply!

I find I get the most out of the single leg DL
Especially because of it helps my kickboxing. Keeping the foot planted when blocking and so forth

Thanks @Joshua for the link. Seems very nice! I am currently at the beginning of Simple & Sinister, but since I love some variety now and then, these exercises might be fun and "functional" for me.

Is this a bonus to S&S or to ETK? The front page is a bit confusing to me :)

These are from ETK, the use of the phrase simple and sinister here predates the S&S book and routine by quite a bit.

I would be fascinated to hear Pavel's thoughts on these exercises now. I imagine some of them wouldn't fit into the StrongFirst philosophy anymore, but chances are I'm wrong...

- the 1 leg dead lift I find highly valuable, though I normally hold the weight in the opposite hand (right leg, left hand).
- Bottom's Up presses, highly valuable. Never tried the BU clean & press though.
- floor press - highly valuable, initial phase of the get up.

The rotational swing, the tactical lunge, I've never done. I'd actually be pretty hesitant to try the rotational swing.

I won a kettlebell class at martial art studio because of one legged dead lift. Owner saw a very intense kicks from me, which I developed from this. Running this class for nine years.

Some really interesting (and similar) "Athletic Drills" have been added to the SFG II curriculum.

Most of you would be surprised to see them, I think. I am eager for one of the SFGs to put out a video on them. They involve a lot of foot movement (stepping, lunging) while doing swings, cleans, and snatches.

Most of you would be surprised to see them, I think. I am eager for one of the SFGs to put out a video on them. They involve a lot of foot movement (stepping, lunging) while doing swings, cleans, and snatches.
I'd love to see that. I've moved around during the float phase of the swing after reading about it (mainly forward, backwards or step to the side), but I can't think of a way to have a lunge in there.

@Anna C

I'd very much like a video, if its not too much trouble?
I can't really picture it : Strongfirst works so hard at rooting and tension that moving during a swing seems ....blasphemous somehow.

I know, right? It does seem like a mismatch. But not only does it work well, it actually reinforces some of the principles. For example, you can't step forward (R, L) when the bell is floating in a swing, unless you get a good float.

I will give the video a try, and will certainly tag Brett Jones for a check to make sure I don't bastardize it too much.

Excellent material.
I have done BU cleans, but never tried the final pressing part, can't wait to get to the gym today

This videos shows some KB swings incorporating lunges etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom