all posts post new thread

Even Easier Strength: Switching Exercises Every Two Weeks?

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi there,
Upon rereading Dan Johns article I noticed his emphasis on switching exercise variations every two weeks.

For example:
Press Movement: Change the lifts every two weeks, “Same, but Different.” So flat bench press, incline bench press, and military press can be exchanged for each other after every two-week block
Source: https://danjohnuniversity.com/essays/even-easier-strength

Does anyone around here acutally do this? I was under the impression that most people just pick 5 lifts and keep going for some time.

Hi there,
Upon rereading Dan Johns article I noticed his emphasis on switching exercise variations every two weeks.

For example:

Does anyone around here acutally do this? I was under the impression that most people just pick 5 lifts and keep going for some time.
I have just to try it out. I started with standing press, switched to high incline press, low incline press, and finally flat press. For hinging, I started with paused deficit, then deficit, then normal, and finally block pulls.

I honestly have no idea if it actually made a difference in strength. But it did make the sessions more interesting. Since I knew I’d only be doing the lift for 2 weeks, I increased the weight I was using faster than if I had just stuck with the same lift for 4 to 8 weeks.

Hi there,

For example:

I have always preferred to keep the exercises the same to get as much practice as possible. I’ve never been a fan of rotating exercises frequently.

I always preferred changing set and rep schemes first.

Hi there,

For example:

My most used Easy Strength template follows either a two-week rotation (provided I train five days a week) or a three-week one (if I train three times a week, using heavier loads).

Generally speaking, I always combine a lower body exercise, switching back and forth between knee bend and hip hinge variations, plus an upper body push & pull.

Week 1 & 2
  • Back squat.
  • 45ª bent over row.
  • Overhead press.
Week 3 & 4
  • Sumo deadlift.
  • Incline bench press. .
  • Curl (yes, curls).
Week 5 & 6
  • Front squat.
  • Pull up.
  • Bench press.
Week 7 & 8
  • Back squat.
  • Horizontal row.
  • Overhead press.
It goes without saying, this is not intended to be a peaking program. You are not trying to improve your PRs in any particular lift, but to become generally stronger all over.

And it works wonderfully.

This might work really well if you had lots of different bars. You could do a lot of very similar lifts that compliment each other well. I think it would work for those people who like to push themselves more.

Some of Dan's followers kind of work out in the RPE of 5-6and the 40 days on the same exercises works great. Others like to RPE of say 7-9 and find themselves getting up near their 5 rep max after 2 weeks.

Swapping bars could keep you going indefinitely. Drop down to 1 plate each fortnight. Then slowly work back up to your normal weight a little at a time or push beyond over 2 weeks. Repeat.

I do different squat variants frequently - box squats, Manta Ray squat, wide stance w. safety squat bar or manta ray, squat w. chains, box squat w. chains, overhead squats, etc

This is a meme I made years ago:
gump squats.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom