all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Event Ideas

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

The thread about Mr. Strong and Mr. Weak spurred me to consider what events would a person put together to make these two athletes equally likely to win? If triathlon and strongman got drunk and had a baby and named it "TriathStrong", what events would go into it? In addition to the events, how would they be performed and scored?

There has to be a run, to allow Mr Weak to play to his strength. But there's really no way Mr Strong can make up the time differential during a strength portion. Mr Weak can probably bang out 6:00 miles easily, Mr Strong will probably be lucky to do 8:00 - 2:00 could be a ton of deadlift reps.

So, there would need to be a time penalty for every additional rep in the strength portions. Perhaps, set a 1000 lb deadlift total, with a 1:00 penalty for 2nd and subsequent rep. Mr Strong can do it in 2 reps, 1:00 penalty. Mr Weak takes 5 reps, 4:00 penalty.

Something like that.

I like that idea and have thought about it before - A competition that's evenly balanced between the extremes of strength and endurance. I suppose it would end up looking kind of crossfitty.

Maybe a run to test cardio endurance, pullups to test relative strength/strength-endurance, and farmers walks to test max strength?

My first thought was OCR too, but on a second thought OCRs are too much on the endurance side.
An OCR without penalties would be good.
By "no penalties" I mean you absolutely have to do the obstacles. No "I cannot do this obstacle so I just take the time penalty or do a bunch of burpees instead."
You have to complete the obstacle! Even if it takes 5 hours.
If you can't complete the obstacle you're out of the competition.
That way you can't just "lung" your way through the OCR because you're superb at running and doing burpees.

Cycle, Ruck, and Farmer's carry can all vary widely in which has the advantage.

Endurance guy would excel on a long flat bike ride, a light long ruck and a light long farmer's carry.
Strong guy would excel on a hilly short bike ride or a hard fast sprint, a very heavy short ruck, and a heavy farmer's carry.

With any of these three events, you could manipulate the variables to find the point where they are exactly evenly matched.

Strong guy might not excel on short hilly ride. Depends on how short is short, and what hilly means. Anytime you are dancing with gravity...you need to remember that you are carrying your own engine.

Additionally Endurance guy (in the original context) appeared to be an experienced cyclist having done an Ironman Triathlon if I recall. Cycling has a skill component. Especially so on hills. My cash is going on endurance guy in any cycling event other than 'short' 'flat' sprints.

But yes... many variables to consider and manipulate.

My vote is

-long distance run
-sprint run
-ruck, long distance with light weight
-farmers walks, short distance with heavy weight

These would need to be tested on more than 1 day.

The thread about Mr. Strong and Mr. Weak spurred me to consider what events would a person put together to make these two athletes equally likely to win? If triathlon and strongman got drunk and had a baby and named it "TriathStrong", what events would go into it? In addition to the events, how would they be performed and scored?

A ruck with a fixed percentage of bodyweight for 5-10K could evenly match a strength athlete and an endurance athlete. The heavier the ruck, the more it advantages the strength athlete and vice versa. The trick would be to find the right % of bodyweight so that they are biased evenly. I am thinking somewhere around 25% of bodyweight. I am not so sure about the other events. It's really hard to balance events for fitness on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I don't mean to spoil the party, but why? Why compare the two like this and before?

As for my answer, if the other one is a powerlifter and the other one a long distance runner, I'd say powerlifting and long distance running could be a nice pair of events.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Some hill running, elevation changes loaded with 25-30% bodyweight. Include at intervals unweighted bodyweight calisthenics and/or other exercises using your ruck load - pullups, pushups, throwing your pack. Rinse and repeat.

I don't mean to spoil the party, but why? Why compare the two like this and before?

As for my answer, if the other one is a powerlifter and the other one a long distance runner, I'd say powerlifting and long distance running could be a nice pair of events.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

I think this is a legitimate question (why compare the two?). It is basically what the crossfit games and the Spartan Race have attempted to do (single event that tests all aspects of fitness). But both don't really get there. Spartan is heavily endurance biased. If you want to do well, run well. The rest is easy. Crossfit games are very strength biased. These discussions are more academic (and fun, like the events I mentioned) than practical.

I think because the popular events do have bias it would be very entertaining to see a 400# and 150# person be neck and neck to the finish and see the title belt transfer between two polar opposite disciplines. Another consideration is the person in the middle that cannot do either side of the equation well.

I have performed well in the clydesdale division of sprint triathlons at >200# but I wouldn't have done well in any strongman competition I'm sure. In my case, I can't do endurance as well as a skinny person and I am not that strong for my bodyweight. I would perform poorly in all these events. I think a long/heavy ruck may be something a person like me could do decently though.

Relative strength does seem to be an important aspect for this type of thing. I definitely like the total poundage idea and a penalty similar to a biathlon.

Regardless, it's for fun and to keep the forum entertaining at the least.

A single 400 metre sprint. Speed strength endurance to the death.
An 800, the endurance guy and the 100 the strength guy, so a 400.
Ah, unfair.... Where's the strength test? It's running, the runner should win a running event.
It's test of strength, power and endurance that both athletes are not familiar with.
Tough one to call. Strength guy will fail at 150, endurance guy will pass him and both will throw up. Both are wimps as it turns out.

Okay so iron man/woman race except with actual iron? swim at the end bodyweight each hand farmers for 50 meters. run and at the end deadlift powerlifting style and finally cycle followed I don't know bench? there going to wanna lay down after that.:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom