all posts post new thread

Old Forum Exercise change

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ricky01

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys

Currently taking on the Bear and loving it. Have had some great suggestions on set up etc and all have been great fully received.

In my original post I said that back issues were meaning that I was goblet squatting instead of back squatting/deadlifting. When I hit a second cycle of this/run pttp for a while I should be back doing one or the other, but at the moment I am goblet squatting.

I have been using the seated press for the shoulders and after feeling pretty wiped from a session I tried using incline rows bear style aswell. That was great until I went back to press today and found the shoulders were a little fatigued (I still got an additional two sets which is great).

I chose seated press as I tend to lean back regardless of weight used when using standing press and with a long back it starts to hurt. Seated press tends to be ok, but I am finding that it is uncomfortable in the hours after a session. With that in mind I was thinking of using a close grip upright row taking it to about bottom/mid chest level. This should target the shoulders/traps nicely and take the pressure off my lower back.

Thoughts?

Richard

Thanks Pavel

I have heard that but standing press definitely hurts. Thoughts?

Richard

If you are leaning back... don't. Decrease the weight enough that you aren't and practice keeping tension in your abs, glutes, and legs. Tuck your chin and look forward, not up. Staggering your stance (one foot slightly in front of the other) can help too.

Do you have a video? And is there an SFL in your area?

Goblet squats and upright rows would be a poor substitute for press and DL... try to learn how to do the lifts properly and choose variants that you can do pain free (try sumo DL with various foot positions to put less pressure on your back, for example).

...Just my .02.

Get your technique solid on the strict press first, I'd say. If you automatically arch your low back when strict pressing... it could be a lot worse if you try push pressing.

Use the strict press. Lower the weight. If your back starts feeling fatigued during a session, stop.

If it is too tight/sore/whatever for overhead pressing then I would recommend running a cycle of something else until your back improves. There's not a lot of point running the bear while you're injured.

You are going to be sore from the bear for your first week or two. Push through it, your body will adapt.

Not to be rude, but it seems your movement selection is not matching the point of bear. i think you need to reconsider what you can do and with what load on the bar. Doing seated press with 100 pounds won't do much even at that kinda volume. I don't know where your strength is at, but higher volume programs function better when absolute strength is high. However, by all means do what keeps you going and just take my opinion as such. Best of luck.

Eric,

IMO, that is some needed and diplomatically applied tough love.

You're not going soft are you? ;-)

Eric thanks for the post.

my exercise selection and questions is based on not having experience with high volume program's. Coming from my rugby background, we always favoured low volume and leaning more towards higher frequency program's. Training movements not body parts.

Shifting to high volume anything is weird for me but I won't know what works for me unless I try it.

The question regarding seated press was only because I have used program's like gulp before were it was an acceptable substitution. I used standing today and ddfinitely noted to work on bracing more. I dropped all weights down and hit 12 sets on the volume sets.

Thanks for getting in touch. I didn't see it as tough love. Even with experience in the weight room I am happy to come into a new style of training and learn like a newbie. That only happens through testing myself and asking questions.

Richard

If your ex rugby odds are your body has some limitations due the general badass sport of hitting grown men without pads. Why not consider bodybuilfing. Keep heavy variations of big movements and just progress the accessory volume for general hyperteophy and well being. Won't leave you beat up day in/out either. Food for though, I'd eat it but I'm full

Thanks Eric. Not a bad shout. I can only hit the gym 2-3 times a week so thought this would be perfect. Suggestions?

haha yeh rugby is nuts. Pads give a false sense of security. You need to feel the hit. Defence is the best part of the game. Defence wins the game.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom