all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Exercise recommendations for testing progress in S&S training block

Brickwork

Level 2 Valued Member
After a long hiatus I am planning to soon resume training with a 10 week block of S&S. My initial thinking is a two week block with a light weight (to reacquaint with and prime the movement patterns), followed by eight weeks, during which I’ll wave (incrementally increasing intensity). I’m working towards the goal of achieving the timeless Simple standard (again).

I was considering testing and re-testing a set of exercises as means to measure progress made during the 10 week block. Obviously the S&S progress will speak for itself, however I’m curious to test carryover results to other exercises and WTH effects. To this end, what exercise tests would you recommend for this purpose? I was hoping to have a couple tests each for push, pull and hip hinge movements.

For background, I last achieved the timed Simple standard in March 2023. For equipment, I have single 16kg, 20kg, 24kg and 32kg kettlebells, a TRX equivalent and adjustable dumbbells which can be loaded to 20kg per hand.

Thanks in advance. I find putting effort into measuring progress to be motivating and increases my adherence to programming.

I was considering testing and re-testing a set of exercises as means to measure progress made during the 10 week block. Obviously the S&S progress will speak for itself, however I’m curious to test carryover results to other exercises and WTH effects. To this end, what exercise tests would you recommend for this purpose? I was hoping to have a couple tests each for push, pull and hip hinge movements.
Personally, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to measure progress in lifts you aren't training.

For instance, if you decided to periodically test your military press and it wasn't obviously improving, what would you do with that information? Would it affect your S&S practice in any way? I've seen reports here on the forum of people who focused on S&S and were doing get ups with 40kg, but struggled to press 24kg.

Carryover and WTH effects do occur, but aren't something you can necessarily count on and don't really constitute a training strategy.

If you really care about progress in other lifts, maybe those are lifts you should be training, even at a maintenance/variety level if S&S is your priority.

If you're just curious about possible carryover, well, what drills are YOU curious about?

A weighted ruck for time, all nose-breathing, would be interesting (to me at least).

Pick a fixed course, throw a challenging weight on your back, go at a pace that puts you right up against that nose-breathing limit, and track time to completion.

I would be genuinely interested in your results should you opt for this.

I agree with Steve. I wouldn't expect my press to increase from S&S. A barbell deadlift could potentially increase. I believe timeless simple is meant to be performed until you can perform timeless wit 40kg before you actually test timed simple. I think the goals laid out in the book are probably good goals. Maybe throw on a 45 pound ruck and go for a 12 mile hike with it and see how you feel after a some time of doing S&S. That's just my goal though. I don't imagine many lifts will see a lot of gains if you aren't specifically training those lifts. But you will certainly have a very good base of physical conditioning. Why not test yourself to an SFG 1 certification after some time of doing a S&S. There you will be tested on different lifts, a snatch test, and have some great energy that spills over into your training!

I found that my pull-ups increased a couple reps without training them for several months. I'm assuming this is from the increase in grip strength through the swings and shoulder strength through the get-ups.

IMHO, you could potentially test your SLDL as well with current equipment before and after.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. As I mentioned, having done S&S blocks previously I was mostly looking for ways to stave off the monotony towards the end and ensure I’m motivated to adhere for the duration.

Every year I perform a fitness test... I always use the 5min 1H swing test as part of it... my ultimate goal is 50% bodyweight for 100 reps in 5min...

My only suggestion is a break in period of TGUs (for you a 16kg qualifies as a light weight) just to make sure you've still got the groove. I always find kyphotic curve is the enemy when I've had a lay off and using the TGU as a shoulder and thoracic opener pays dividends that far outstrip the investment in time. That and after 5-7 days of TGUs, I'm so fired up for swings I can barely contain myself.

Probably the most appropriate might be timed Turkish Get Ups unweighted or light. However, many you can get in 5 or 10 min.

That’s awesome that you’re planning to resume training with a 10-week block of S&S. Testing and re-testing exercises are a great way to measure progress and stay motivated. For push movements, you could try testing your max push-ups or bench press. For pull movements, you could test your max pull-ups or rows. And for hip hinge movements, you could test your deadlift or kettlebell swing. These tests will give a good idea of your progress and can carryover effects.

Back
Top Bottom