all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Experience with using The Program ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I am curious about people's experience with using The program. This program is the program is the one that Strong First is giving to students at the one-day show. (maybe also the certification to SFG 1 too. It is also available for people who has paid for the online courses.

They recommend people to use it until men reach 32 kilo in the military press. Have anyone used it to reach 36 or 40 kilo ?

I've been to both the one-day course and the SFG and I don't know what program you're referring to. There are sections on programming within both, but there is no "The Program" ... unless I'm missing something.

Im sorry. The name is: The plan.

Hmm, OK, I see it in my one-day kettlebell course manual, but not SFG.

I've never known of anyone to do The Plan. But it looks like a good one! Would also be interested to hear of any experience with it.

Hmm, OK, I see it in my one-day kettlebell course manual, but not SFG.

I've never known of anyone to do The Plan. But it looks like a good one! Would also be interested to hear of any experience with it.

I have done it, but only for seven weeks. I got the program from another place than the one day course and have asked @Steve Freides If its okay to talk more in depth of the program but he advised me not to, whitch I respect.

I did write a short text on my experience:

Perhaps I should write a final report om the program but I feel that 7 weeks is to short to do the program justice.

what I did like was the relativley short sessions. I also liked the pressning focus; 1 block of pressing, 1 block of swing/squat and 1 block of pressning. The progression; ”when x weight feels light, go up ro the next ladder progression” really worked great and is something I will use in ny training again. My pressning Numbers went up! I actually loved the heavy-light-medium sessions! It left me fresh and I was always strong and motivated!

what I didnt like was the swing+squat combo. Just felt awkward. One other thing was the timed blocks - it made me rush through it sometimes leading to sloppy reps. But thats entierly my fault. The lack of programmed pull-work was bad. I really like superset pressing with pullups but that does not work well with timed blocks.

I only own a 16, 24 and 32. I could press the16 for days and the weekly pressing Numbers was crazy yet I can only press the 24 for 2 reps on the right and once on my left. The program works better with intermediate bells, imho.

all in all. The program worked well! The Progression system was new for me but felt great as it did not force me to lift a certain volume/weight etc. Perhaps you dont ”need” pulling work but for me that was a deal breaker and why I shifted to DMPM (along with some other things). Its not impossible that I restart the program again soon!

Why did you change it ?

In my last week I was up to 190 presses yet I could not really make the next ladder progression using the "rules" from the program. Perhaps I could have incorporated the 24 but unfortunately my attention span fades after about 6 weeks.

I did try it for about seven months and enjoyed it. I did S&S on 2-3 of the off days, following the step-loading progression to hit timeless Simple. Once I got there, I switched to straight S&S programming because timed Simple is my primary goal. But it was fun to press for a while.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom