all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Experiences with accelerometers?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Based on the use of accelerometers described in this article by @Brett Jones
Data for the Data-Averse | StrongFirst

How are your experiences with the Push Band or Beast sensor (or is there another useful tool?)?

@Tjerr @Shawn Reed @tebe @Wesker11
What does it do for you? Does it help you to stop sets before reps slow down too much? Or does it help with focussing on explosive swings on each and every rep? Does it actually help with choosing the right weight for Q&D or is the sprint test more reliable?

I am curious to hear about your experiences. I am considering to buy one to help myself with quality control during S&S workouts. And also to see if my velocity increases during a step cycle.

The PUSH band allowed me to set a baseline for my power and velocity (You will see in an upcoming article how that became important) and validated the rest periods and protocols since I never found the point of losing power and velocity during a session due to the protocols work rest ratios etc...
(I had to compress my rest periods to find the drop off—but this also allowed for good information on when that happens)

+1 to what Brett said.

I use it for "testing" but don't use it consistently for training. I posted this to my Instagram a couple months back, reposting here:

This morning, after 10 hours of sleep and some coffee, I put the @trainwithpush band on my arm and spent 90 minutes doing Q&D accelerometer tests. What did I learn? That I can generate more power than I thought - a LOT more - and that I guess I’ve been sandbagging my Q&D swing bell.

Based on feel, I had assumed my sweet spot for power generation in the one-arm swing was 28kg, and for two-arm overspeed eccentric swings it was 32kg. Not even close.

Power is Force x Velocity - it requires both speed AND strength. What I was feeling with lighter bells was the VELOCITY... and of course the speed of a heavier bell won’t always match that of a lighter bell. But I was looking past the FORCE I had to generate to move it through space.

I started with 5 reps at 24kg and worked up by 4kg to 40kg for 1-arm swings, with 5 minutes of rest between sets. Each set generated more power than the last, both cumulatively as well as for each individual rep (except sometimes the first). I stopped at 40kg because my grip was starting to weaken, not because power was starting to drop.

With two-arm swings, I started at 32kg and worked up to 48kg. Again, each set was more powerful than the last by every measure. The most powerful rep with the beast was in the 600W range compared to the mid-400s with 32kg. I had to stop at 48kg because that’s my biggest bell (which I need to fix).

Lesson learned: Getting an objective measure of power as a baseline may have saved me a lot of time and effort. I’ll know in 3 months.

Mike Torres on Instagram: “[Q&D ACCELEROMETER TESTS] . “You can be anything you want. A warrior. An athlete. A hard man or woman ready to handle whatever life throws…”

+1 to what Brett said.

I use it for "testing" but don't use it consistently for training. I posted this to my Instagram a couple months back, reposting here:

This morning, after 10 hours of sleep and some coffee, I put the @trainwithpush band on my arm and spent 90 minutes doing Q&D accelerometer tests. What did I learn? That I can generate more power than I thought - a LOT more - and that I guess I’ve been sandbagging my Q&D swing bell.

Based on feel, I had assumed my sweet spot for power generation in the one-arm swing was 28kg, and for two-arm overspeed eccentric swings it was 32kg. Not even close.

Power is Force x Velocity - it requires both speed AND strength. What I was feeling with lighter bells was the VELOCITY... and of course the speed of a heavier bell won’t always match that of a lighter bell. But I was looking past the FORCE I had to generate to move it through space.

I started with 5 reps at 24kg and worked up by 4kg to 40kg for 1-arm swings, with 5 minutes of rest between sets. Each set generated more power than the last, both cumulatively as well as for each individual rep (except sometimes the first). I stopped at 40kg because my grip was starting to weaken, not because power was starting to drop.

With two-arm swings, I started at 32kg and worked up to 48kg. Again, each set was more powerful than the last by every measure. The most powerful rep with the beast was in the 600W range compared to the mid-400s with 32kg. I had to stop at 48kg because that’s my biggest bell (which I need to fix).

Lesson learned: Getting an objective measure of power as a baseline may have saved me a lot of time and effort. I’ll know in 3 months.

Mike Torres on Instagram: “[Q&D ACCELEROMETER TESTS] . “You can be anything you want. A warrior. An athlete. A hard man or woman ready to handle whatever life throws…”
That is interesting, thanks for sharing. And did the results hold up? Were those heavier weights manageable?

I have to admit that the 5 rep accelerometer test sounds quite different than the 20-30 seconds "sprint" test.

@Bauer Yes, it held up. The ample rest periods, and alternating between swings and push-ups, made it so that I was always fresh when I was setting up to swing. 5-10 reps with max explosiveness felt very achievable. Of course your mileage may vary, but if you go too light, you won't get the full effect.

I made this mistake a couple years ago when I was first testing 044 as well - Pavel asked me what size KB I was using, and when I said 28kg he said, "start using the 32kg and work towards the 36kg". Which I did - and he was right (my results are covered on p53 of the book).

@Bauer Yes, it held up. The ample rest periods, and alternating between swings and push-ups, made it so that I was always fresh when I was setting up to swing. 5-10 reps with max explosiveness felt very achievable. Of course your mileage may vary, but if you go too light, you won't get the full effect.

I made this mistake a couple years ago when I was first testing 044 as well - Pavel asked me what size KB I was using, and when I said 28kg he said, "start using the 32kg and work towards the 36kg". Which I did - and he was right (my results are covered on p53 of the book).
Thanks a lot!

Based on the use of accelerometers described in this article by @Brett Jones
Data for the Data-Averse | StrongFirst

How are your experiences with the Push Band or Beast sensor (or is there another useful tool?)?

What does it do for you? Does it help you to stop sets before reps slow down too much? Or does it help with focussing on explosive swings on each and every rep? Does it actually help with choosing the right weight for Q&D or is the sprint test more reliable?

I am curious to hear about your experiences. I am considering to buy one to help myself with quality control during S&S workouts. And also to see if my velocity increases during a step cycle.

Exactly this:

+1 to what Brett said.

I never would have guessed I should use the 48 for two-arm and one-arm swings, but the test said so. Still used the 40 for one-arm, wanted to grow in to the program.

For me, it helps to see when I reach the point of fatigue, where I have to take a bit longer rest periods (even if it means diverging from the protocol), and hleps a lot to push (excuse me for the pun) myself harder on every repetition. Every half-hearted rep appears on the screen immediately, so it requires honest and maximal effort. At this point I really believe that more power development can be reached by less reps with these tools.

This does intrigue me.

States IOS only - anyone know of a android version that's available in the UK?

Checked out beast sensor though and seems to be a European company and compatable

I use the beast sensor, and honestly, am not entirely happy with it. Although it gets the job done, there are many "ghost reps", and from time to time it misses a rep too. I don't know if the Push is more reliable or not, but using the beast sensor takes some patience.

I use the beast sensor, and honestly, am not entirely happy with it. Although it gets the job done, there are many "ghost reps", and from time to time it misses a rep too. I don't know if the Push is more reliable or not, but using the beast sensor takes some patience.
Unfortunately the Beast sensor seems to be the least reliable of the VBT tools. And a couple of them seem to be geared at barbell use only.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom