all posts post new thread

Old Forum Fighter pullup 3rm results and moving on

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike Marcinek

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have been working on increasing chin up strength with a long term goal of  a bodyweight chin up. Current bw is approx 170lbs)

My routine has looked liked

warmup of  light -ish

goblet squats, kb or TRX rows, pushups, rack lunges and pushups( nothing performed  near failure)

Session

Deadlifts 2x5 (PTTP style)

single arm KB press with 36 following HML volume loading 3 days per week

Fighter Chin up routine

I performed the first two weeks with 90 additional pounds and advanced the past 2 weeks to 100 additional pounds for 5-4-3-2-1. Stating to feel the right shoulder tweak a little bit and figured four weeks straight of pretty much daily heavy chinups may be enough for a while.

Would like to stay on track and was wondering if anyone had any experience post Fighter pullup program. Any insight is appreciated ! Thanks!

Mike

You might want to look at this post by SFB Aris: http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-few-pullup-tips-and-program-example.html

Good example of pull up centric training, and lower volume should let you recover a bit better.

Also, awesome results! Did you test your max before/after? If so what kind of improvements did you see? Smart move on rethinking the program instead of pushing through.

That's some solid pulling, man.

I'd say back off by 10% (including your own weight as well as added weight in that calculation) and only do the FPP every other day or every third day. Also, add some light feeder/prehab work for the upper back/rear delts if you aren't including any already. After a cycle of that, make other changes accordingly, and maybe boost the intensity/frequency back up if you can handle it.

I've had some good success using the FPP for weighted pull Ups, but i only train every other day.   a couple of weeks ago I built my 16kg pull to 5 easy reps and im now using 20kg, when I hit 5 reps I'll move up to 24kg then re-test my max. The extra rest seems to work a lot better when your adding weight

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions!Andy, I did not test my max .  I started with the 90lbs ( which was really probably a 4rm) at about a bw of 166 . I'm probably floating between 170-173 right now and looked at the 100lbs as an improvement. I have been doing these on a bar that's about 1 5/8 in thick so I feel like I can eek out some more weight if I transfer back to a normal rig as well.

Great information and results Mike!

I've been pondering the goal of a +100lb pull-up so this post serves as some additional stoke.  Still working through S&S for now though.

Keep up the great work and post more results as you progress.

Mike, have your shoulder checked and then back cycle.  Train less frequently and use a wave cycle—up for a few sessions, then back off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom