all posts post new thread

Old Forum fighter push up program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simeon Reigle

First Post
I was just curious about how many other exercises could be done with the same rep/set layout as the FPP. Has anyone here tried it with other things? If so, how many different exercises could you do using these parameters? Is it like GTG where you don't do more than two unrelated exercises?

I had a client do it for pushups once, he nearly doubled his RM in a few short weeks (it was in the 10-15 range).

I've done it with HeSPU and one arm pushup progressions, alternated with pull-ups or weighted chin-ups, several times. A few friends of mine did something similar, alternating with dips or another type of press, in addition to the pulls. All of us were very successful. It's still my preferred way to run the FPP: press, rest a minute, pull, rest a minute, etc. The pulls and presses can be done in different rep ranges. Movements and rep ranges can be rotated to prevent staleness, however, it is not a 'park bench' program and shouldn't be dragged out too far... it's pretty demanding.

Simeon, as long as you cannot do more than 25 reps, it will work.  If you are above that, very unlikely.

Assuming I am under 25 reps in my variation/resistance would it be advisable to work with more than two dissimilar exercises? I am thinking bw squats, pullups, pushups, and leg raises.

If this would be too demanding for proper recovery; would it work if I alternated exercises with a two day split? Alternatively, should I train in two week blocks, focusing on two exercises and maintaining the other two with two or three easy sets?

I may be off-base here, and someone please correct me if so, but as it's often said that, if your goal is strength, and can do more than 5 pullups, you should optimally start loading them, then if you can do more than 5 pressups, would it be better to start loading them (i.e. with an adjustable weight vest) ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom