all posts post new thread

Nutrition Food Allergies?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
Anyone else struggle with a food allergy? I'm not talking about preferences, but something that your body just can't handle. I've struggled with gluten most of my adult life and I'm finding its easier to avoid social situations where food is involved than try to explain that certain foods will make me uncomfortable if not sick.

There's a lot to talk about regarding gluten. One theory I've heard is that many people who think they're allergic to or intolerant of gluten wouldn't be bothered by bread and another "glutenous" foods 100 years ago because the grains grown today are what they are for reasons of efficiency/profitability and are much higher in gluten than their earlier counterparts.

But I certainly wouldn't avoid social situations where food is involved - just eat what works for you and don't eat what doesn't. Tell people you're on a diet. :)

-S-

I've studied the whole Paleo/Ancestral diet thing some years back, The fact that wheat has mutated is certainly true.

As far as social situations, I make the best of it. Home cooked Thanksgiving diner is not a problem. Buffets at a restaurant... go for the soup & salad bar.

I'm finding its easier to avoid social situations where food is involved than try to explain that certain foods will make me uncomfortable if not sick.
Hey, it's other people's problem if they can't respect the way you choose to eat, not yours. You don't have to explain, or just say you're on a diet.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom