all posts post new thread

Old Forum From ROP to S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guacadoggie

Level 3 Valued Member
I've been on ROP for quite some time with good results, and just switched to S&S, and really enjoying it. I've asked for similar advice in the past, but that was pre-S&S...

My black belt test is at the end of January, and I'm not sure if I should stick with S&S or train specifically what I'm tested on. I need to do 20 pull-ups in one minute with a two-minute break after 30 seconds; 100 push-ups in two straight minutes; 100 sit-ups in two straight minutes; and more stuff that I'm not worried about.

So, do you guys think S&S will be good enough? Or should I practice these three moves until my test, then go back to S&S afterward?

I know that S&S will certainly help but I imagine actually practicing the specific moves will help as well.

I would do S&S a couple times a week and supplement with the specific calisthenics, possibly in a grease the groove manner.

Early this year, I tested for my fifth Dan, and I prepared by doing the specific requirements first!  Then I did an easy strength approach to clean and press, pull ups, and swings; for my GPP.  S&S or ROP are both good for GPP.  But  your focus has to be on what your testing.

Al

Arryn, how close are you to fulfilling all the requirements, including the endurance for the long day of sparring, testing, etc.?

Thank you guys for replying!

Pavel, I did 19 pull-ups, 39 push-ups, 61 sit-ups on my pre-test a few weeks ago. I passed the pull-ups just fine (minimum was 10); so I'll just have to do the same number on my actual test. Other than these, I have a 1.5 mile run (I think I did it in just under 10 minutes) and about 2.5 more hours of calisthenic and Crossfit types of exercise before we move on to our curriculum for around 3 hours, and then finish up with a 15-minute sparring session with 8 or so rounds.

On my pre-test a few weeks ago, I didn't burn out like everyone else who also tested. My stamina was good throughout, just some muscles gave out at the end of the day: my quads and my calves, and obviously I didn't pass the push-ups or sit-ups.

Gary, my school hasn't had any injuries on the black belt test out of the 6 years they've been open. Everybody who makes it that far (which is very few), prepares to be robbed of energy to see how we perform during the kickboxing drills and sparring rounds.

During regular class, with people who are new and out of shape who push themselves too hard, that's a different story.

Arryn, S&S plus practice of the tested events would be a better choice than ROP right now.  High volume of presses takes it out of you and you need energy for many things now.

Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom