all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gait training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
hello all,

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with a program training the gait pattern only (crawls, loaded carries, sprints). If so, what were your results, if not why not?

Thank you for your time!

Well, I did lots of gait work with runners. We started with some video run gait analysis, followed by some movement screening, checking range of motion, strength etc to get some additional insights into why they had compensations. Then we started working on mobility and stability through training. This is a LONG term process, years rather than weeks. Gait compensations are deeply ingrained patterns that are hard to break, even when you remove the need for compensation. It is worth working on though.

As for myself, I switched to very minimal shoes (Shamma running sandals actually) over a 5 year period, then worked on hip and glute strength, plus running posture.

I was recently reading a long article about Alberto Salazar as a coach and how he works a lot on gait and other technical issues with his runners - can't remember where I read it, though, maybe NY Times magazine ...

-S-

Last edited:
hello all,

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with a program training the gait pattern only (crawls, loaded carries, sprints). If so, what were your results, if not why not?

Thank you for your time!

Tim Anderson.... Seems he's got results :)

I did a month + of bent presses and crawling last year. My body/mind felt great. While I don't have experience with gait-only training for more than 10 days, I do feel that when I incorporate those daily I have better feel and control. I do them as prep moves mostly (leopard crawls or some sort of carry, Cook drill being my favorite) and as main training on days I don't feel focused enough for bent pressing.

I will probably move to a "season" of gait-centered training after my current bent pressing season. By season I mean a block without designated end-time, I switch or cycle when I feel I am about to plateau.

Awesome examples! I might try a couple weeks of kettlebell carries, Spider-Man crawls, and the occasional sprint, will report my results!

hello all,

Thank you for your time!

A shortcut for most people for improving run gait:
1. Run tall, shoulders back. Easiest way to achieve this is to tuck your chin in. This aligns your cervical spine, which aligns your T and L spine.
2. Single leg jump rope. You simply cannot do this without stiffening your hip stability muscles. You do so in precisely the same way that is required during a GOOD run gait. It is a great way to practice this while FORCING proper hip activation.
3. Core strengthening, McGill's big 3 (Google it).
4. Glute and glute medius strength work

For run gait, I believe these simple interventions will go much farther than crawling. They will address the most common run gait issues like cross over gait, kickstanding (increased foot progression angle), heel striking (overstriding), and hunched forward posture.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom