all posts post new thread

Kettlebell General Technique Review [Videos]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PaulAtreides

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey Everyone,

Finally, someone has volunteered to film my kettlebell technique. This gives me the opportunity to review my technique before the beginning of a new year of training. Keep in mind this was filmed right after a hard workout, so there's a certain lack of explosiveness visible at some points.

Goblet squats
I have very little experience with squatting in general so any advice is welcome.
What I'm most concerned at the moment is my foot placement and knee movement, as they click/crack at least every other Rep.

Zercher Squats
While we're on the topic of squats, this video is actually my first attempt at Zercher squats.
same as with Goblet squats, any advice is welcome and I'm most concerned about my knees and what some people call "butt wink" (not sure if I have that or not).

Two-handed Swings
I haven't trained the swing in ages. I used to be pretty good and had solid technique but I feel like my technique has deteriorated quite a bit. It's such a central movement in the Kettlebell world, not reviewing it would be asking for trouble in the long run.

Oh and that thing in front of my hips is just an open pocket of my trousers...

What I can see in this video:
- Bad set up. the bell needs to be further back on the floor so I can start swinging without any preliminary squat-type movements
- irregular height/acceleration of the bell. This may be due to post-workout clumsiness.
- Not enough tension generated in the glutes and abs
- Forgot to biomechanically breathe at the beginning, sort of started doing it towards the end but not very well executed
- Bad ending, should have set the kettlebell down much further back. wouldn't dare round my back that much with anything above a 24kg

Kettlebell Military Press
I'm pretty confident about my technique on this move, but I'm posting it just to be sure because I plan to work high volumes on this exercise next year.
The parts I'm somewhat unsure about are the clean portion of the lift, the racked position, and the general Bell path.

24kg KB MP side view 21 12 2018
24kg KB MP frontal view 21 12 2018

What I can see in this video:
- Bad set up. The bell needs to be further back on the floor so I can start swinging/cleaning without any preliminary squat-type movements
- Bad ending, should have set the kettlebell down much further back. wouldn't dare round my back that much with anything above a 24kg

Thanks for watching, looking forward to your feedback (y)

Last edited:
Paul,

In the goblet squat, you did a perfect job on the 'dry' run. Than you bend over to pick-up the bell. When picking things up from the floor: hinge with a flat back. Much safer for the back.
On the swing: you lift the bell straight up. Hook the bell with your fingers when it is in front of you and hicke it back between your legs. Try to sit back more in the hinge on the downswing, and actively pull your shoulders in their sockets (activate the lats).

Overall it all looks solid @PaulAtreides

PRIOR WARNING - I do not currently hold or have held an StrongFirst Certifications. I have attended the SFG and SFL course, which I try to put into practice in all my and client's sessions, from that I am trying to say take the below with a pinch of salt, but it is just food for thought.

The goblet squats look very solid overall, but a few things I noticed
- The SFG standards state 'initiate the ascent with a grunt', which you may wan to look at if you are wanting to go down that route.
- Use your hip flexors to 'pull' you down into the whole and 'make space in the hips', these cues resonated with me whilst at the SFG course.
This will also clear any doubt in your mind if you are slipping into a posterior pelvic tilt in the bottom position, as long if the tension is maintained.
- You may also want to review how you are parking the bell down at the end - I like to drop the bell into my hinge position and park the bell like I would in a swing.

The Zercher squats look very good, I am as not as familiar with these as other squat variations but form my knowledge-
- I don't remember who said it but 'The set up is the first rep' by this get tight on all of your set ups, whether it's 150kg or just 20kg treat them all the same, whatever the movement...
- Again as with the goblet squats, 'pull yourself' down into the bottom with your hip flexors (think pulling your knees up as you descend). As well make space in the hips by spreading the ground apart and think trying to pull the 2 halves of the pelvis away from each other.

The swing-
- I think you should try to utilise the hike, so that you can get straight into powerful swings - just practicing the hike pass and hike swing may help.
- Also the bell looks as if it wants to travel up rather than straight forward, for all of my KB ballistics I like to use the action of my standing broad jump to accomplish this, also the bell should 'float' at the top.
- Also, stand as tall as you can in the top position, practicing the hard-style plank can help, but cramp the glutes at the top, lengthen the crown of the head to the ceiling and pull your rib cage down.
- Like you said yourself, practice the biomechanical breathing match.

The press-
-You may want to experiment with a narrower stance after the clean.
- Breathing wise, I like to exhale through pursed lips; like a leaking air canister.
- Again get tighter in your set up both before the clean and in the rack position.
- After the press draw the elbow back as you drop the bell down so that it stays closer to your body which will shorten the lever so less stress is put through the lower back.
- I like to use the spare arm as a lever as Granvill Myers puts it, make a tight clenched fist, perpendicular to your body, as you press draw it down and in towards your body, a visual representation is much easier to understand - just look at his instagram.

Again I am in no way certified, just saying what I have seen to be effective in my own practice and those who I coach.
Take in what is useful, disregard what is not.
Anyone feel free to disagree and voice your own opinions.

Paul,

In the goblet squat, you did a perfect job on the 'dry' run. Than you bend over to pick-up the bell. When picking things up from the floor: hinge with a flat back. Much safer for the back.
On the swing: you lift the bell straight up. Hook the bell with your fingers when it is in front of you and hicke it back between your legs. Try to sit back more in the hinge on the downswing, and actively pull your shoulders in their sockets (activate the lats).

Thanks for your feedback, Jan

how about this? (warning, loud noise from my phone in the first video.)

Last edited:
Overall it all looks solid @PaulAtreides

PRIOR WARNING - I do not currently hold or have held an StrongFirst Certifications. I have attended the SFG and SFL course, which I try to put into practice in all my and client's sessions, from that I am trying to say take the below with a pinch of salt, but it is just food for thought.

The goblet squats look very solid overall, but a few things I noticed
- The SFG standards state 'initiate the ascent with a grunt', which you may wan to look at if you are wanting to go down that route.
- Use your hip flexors to 'pull' you down into the whole and 'make space in the hips', these cues resonated with me whilst at the SFG course.
This will also clear any doubt in your mind if you are slipping into a posterior pelvic tilt in the bottom position, as long if the tension is maintained.
- You may also want to review how you are parking the bell down at the end - I like to drop the bell into my hinge position and park the bell like I would in a swing.

The Zercher squats look very good, I am as not as familiar with these as other squat variations but form my knowledge-
- I don't remember who said it but 'The set up is the first rep' by this get tight on all of your set ups, whether it's 150kg or just 20kg treat them all the same, whatever the movement...
- Again as with the goblet squats, 'pull yourself' down into the bottom with your hip flexors (think pulling your knees up as you descend). As well make space in the hips by spreading the ground apart and think trying to pull the 2 halves of the pelvis away from each other.

The swing-
- I think you should try to utilise the hike, so that you can get straight into powerful swings - just practicing the hike pass and hike swing may help.
- Also the bell looks as if it wants to travel up rather than straight forward, for all of my KB ballistics I like to use the action of my standing broad jump to accomplish this, also the bell should 'float' at the top.
- Also, stand as tall as you can in the top position, practicing the hard-style plank can help, but cramp the glutes at the top, lengthen the crown of the head to the ceiling and pull your rib cage down.
- Like you said yourself, practice the biomechanical breathing match.

The press-
-You may want to experiment with a narrower stance after the clean.
- Breathing wise, I like to exhale through pursed lips; like a leaking air canister.
- Again get tighter in your set up both before the clean and in the rack position.
- After the press draw the elbow back as you drop the bell down so that it stays closer to your body which will shorten the lever so less stress is put through the lower back.
- I like to use the spare arm as a lever as Granvill Myers puts it, make a tight clenched fist, perpendicular to your body, as you press draw it down and in towards your body, a visual representation is much easier to understand - just look at his instagram.

Again I am in no way certified, just saying what I have seen to be effective in my own practice and those who I coach.
Take in what is useful, disregard what is not.
Anyone feel free to disagree and voice your own opinions.

Thanks for your detailed feedback, Jordan. I agree there's a general lack of tension/tightness in most of what I've posted today. that's in part due to being tired, at the end of a training cycle and already having worked out today. I will try again in a couple of days when I'm fresh and post new videos of it.

I will play around with your other hints and see if I can put them to good use. we'll see in my next videos :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed feedback, Jordan. I agree there's a general lack of tension/tightness in most of what I've posted today. that's in part due to being tired, at the end of a training cycle and already having worked out today. I will try again in a couple of days when I'm fresh and post new videos of it.

I will play around with your other hints and see if I can put them to good use. we'll see in my next videos :)
No worries @PaulAtreides, it was a pleasure.
I can not emphasise enough that the videos you posted are better than most.
I will look forward to seeing those videos!

@Anna C glad to hear that, I will keep it up :)
@Jordan Vaughan that's good to hear. I played around with your advice on how to use the hip flexors in the goblet/Zercher squat and "pulling the pelvis apart" today, just bodyweight in front of a mirror to check the bottom position. That really helped. I still have to focus a lot to do it properly but that'll come with more practice.

General squatting question:
I've always taken clicks, cracking and other audible sounds from my knees as a warning sign and shied away from the exercise.
Can these sounds be disregarded, so longs as they don't cause physical pain or discomfort during/after training?

Last edited:
I've always taken clicks, cracking and other audible sounds from my knees as a warning sign and shied away from the exercise.
Can these sounds be disregarded, so longs as they don't cause physical pain or discomfort during/after training?

I'm not a medical person but from what I've read and from experience, yes you can ignore the sounds; they're not indicating anything you should or shouldn't do relative to movement or exercise.

@Anna C glad to hear that, I will keep it up :)
@Jordan Vaughan that's good to hear. I played around with your advice on how to use the hip flexors in the goblet/Zercher squat and "pulling the pelvis apart" today, just bodyweight in front of a mirror to check the bottom position. That really helped. I still have to focus a lot to do it properly but that'll come with more practice.

@PaulAtreides glad to hear my feedback helped!
I am in no way qualified to answer that sort of question sorry. I’d get an proper assessment in person, if you’re worried.

Another take on the Goblet Squat

There's one rep in the side view where I forgot to maintain good tension and "pulling apart the pelvis", you can see some butt wink in that one.
Breathing is still pretty random.

Anything else?

Last edited:
That looks fine to me for light goblet squats.

Have you tried the prying goblet squat as described in the S&S warm-up? In that version you would put your elbows just inside your knees and push your knees out. You would also relax a bit more in the bottom, sinking lower into it, and maybe shifting side to side a bit, and maybe some curls with the kettlebell at the bottom. Relaxed breathing helps a lot for the prying goblet squat. When using the goblet squat for warm-up, I usually do 4 like you did, then a 5th rep as a prying version, in each of the 3 sets.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom