all posts post new thread

Old Forum get up question - windshield wiper

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Have a question about the windshield wiper move going from kneeling with the hand to the lunge position - is it acceptable to move the lunge leg rather than to windshield wipe the rear leg? I've seen a get up done like this and wanted to know if it is sfg acceptable or not. Sometimes I have a problem getting my rear leg in the right position when doing the get down. It isn't so much a mobility issue - guess it might be - but more of a surface issue, especially with a 32. My knee sinks into the grass/surface and is difficult to adjust and when indoors on a mat, the movement scrunches up the mat and my clumbersome feet get all tangled up and is off putting more than anything. When moving the forward lunge leg it is a smoother transition and more manageable to achieve the desired position. So I've been playing with it but don't want to continue if it is deemed unacceptable.

Either way is OK, just make sure if it's a mobility issue that you address that.  You should be able to do it "by the book" but needn't if your working surface, old knees (my personal situation), or other conditions dictate that moving the front leg is a better choice.

-S-

Thanks for clearing that up, Steve. Did it today in S&S and it isn't a mobility issue but definitely a knee-stuck-in-the-mud thing going on. I get a better alignment with the leg and hand on the get down.  Good to know that it is legit. Cheers.

Because of my knee issues, I have always closed the gap to the front by repositioning the front leg.  At my cert, it was accepted to perform it in this way due to my knee (ill)health.  But you have to let your team leader know in advance.

Relative to this discussion: on the way down, to maintain stability, from the lunge position, I teach to rotate the trunk toward the KB as you shift your gaze up to it.  Then, hinge back over the hip under the KB ... it'll feel something like the windmill ...  as you post your hand just off to the side and in front of the posted knee.  Now, you are in a stable and tight 3-point stance, so go ahead and open the gap to the front by repositioning your forward leg ...  or, just reposition into that 1/2-Indian-style sit described in S&S; I think Pavel calls it the "low sweep".

Al

Thank you Al. Definately find it easier to get in a better position but I'll keep doing both options, surface dependent.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom