all posts post new thread

Old Forum Get ups in the morning...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fred99

Level 1 Valued Member
I am doing the Simple & Sinister thing and, of course, I have a thousand questions.

The first one is this: Pavel writes that I should do swings first and get ups second. And the get ups right after the swings. But what if I want to do the get ups in the morning and the swings in the afternoon. Would it really matter? Would that really be "messing with the program as it is written" in a bad way? What would the real difference be? I'm just wondering...

Will it be messing with the program, yes. Will you get cancer from doing it that way? No. If it makes you happier, do it however you want. There are some good reasons for doing it the way Pavel lays it out:

1. You work on power with the swings, immediately followed by strength with the get ups.

2. Doing them in the order prescribed, back to back, helps keep the swings a power exercise, not a "cardio" one, and keeps you from rushing the get up progression too much. They also warm you up well for the getups.

3. The conditioning aspect of the 2 is different, but complementary, and doing one then the other in sequence gives the best of both worlds. Doing it this way was new for me, but I've found it to be a very effective approach. Even starting light, the difference in my BJJ conditioning was noticeable. I've been using this with other people also, and it's worked quite well for them too.

I've occasionally done swings in the AM and TGUs in the PM, which Pavel said was okay in a different thread. For the reasons Jason stated, I find I prefer doing the program as written.

Phil implies another good point; the important thing is to get the work in. If you have a day where you have to break them up, that's better than not doing it at all. Getting work in is usually going to be better than not getting it in. Last year, I was doing a workout with a timed component. In the middle, my neighbor rang my doorbell to ask if I could give her a hand with her elderly mother who was quite sick, because the nurse hadn't shown up (turns out she had been given the wrong address). I did not say "sorry, I'm doing a timed workout, I'd love to help you in 10 minutes or so". I apologized for being slightly sweaty, put on some shoes, and helped her. Sometimes, life happens, and you work around it.

When you have a free 20 minutes or so however, it's not a bad idea to do swings followed by getups.

I've not done getups after swings before.

I've spent weeks on ETK Program Minimum over the years.  Many times when not on ETK, I've done a couple slow getups as a warmup for whatever.

But, it's been challenging for me to get 10x's 24kg TGU after working through some explosive swings with S&S.  Seems to be a good "shock to the system" for me.  Hope to report back after hitting the 32kg goals.

Fred, it is OK if you are fresh by the time swings come around.

Ladies and gents, please Jason's general advice not mess with programs unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all the replies.  I appreciate it.

I have to say, for the sake of discussion mostly, that I am still a little confused. To me the turkish get up is more of a technical and raw strength nervous system demanding exercise than the swing. And in Pavels other writings I get the impression that one should start with the most nervous system demanding (in Power to the People I believe he writes about not doing conditioning before heavy work) and technical (in The Russian Kettlebell Challenge the example is to start with the Two Hands Anyhow)  exercises and therefore do presses before swings (Rite of Passage in Enter the Kettlebell). But... Things change and maybe Simple & Sinister "trumps" the earlier writings and there is a reason to be a little fatigued when doing the TGUs or maybe I am wrong about the TGU being harder on the nervous system than the swing.

Anyway. Thanks again for answering my question.

This question came up soon after S&S came out. I don't remember the exact answer, but it was basically because with S&S, the focus of the swing is more about power production than conditioning.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom