all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Get-ups in the StrongEndurance Universe

Tjerr

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
How would one program Get-ups in SE?

I notice that when I do a 40 kg get up, my heart rate spikes towards 170 and the duration is ~35 seconds. So that would make it purely glycolytic.

But having purchased the SEE, I'm having difficulties to program them in a sensible manner.

Reactions: Ege
And, if you really want to lean in to the way strong endurance frames it's workload, you might consider setting a timer for each get up. Not to hurry yourself along, though. But, rather, to enforce a little too much rest.

I personally have found that in a timeless setting my 10 get UPS will be completed in the neighborhood of 15 to 18 minutes. Relative to my preferences about strong endurance training, I found this to be a little shorter than I would like for the effect I am aiming for.

So, in my training of get UPS, I set an interval timer to 2 minutes 30 seconds, in order to enforce a little too much rest for me. This amount of time helps to keep my last reps performing very similarly to my first reps. Your mileage may vary.

Might also want to do L-M-H as described in KBSF
Sure, but that was not exactly my question.

How do they fit in to the StrongEndurance Universe and is there a protocol you can train them, without going glycolitic

How do they fit in to the StrongEndurance Universe and is there a protocol you can train them, without going glycolitic
Well, why don‘t you just wait after each get up for your heartrate to lower… do fast and lose between sets.

If your heartrate spikes too much in heavy get ups try this one:
Do the get up until you stand, set down your kb, - fast and lose - clean the kettlebell, pushpress/jerk it over head and get down to the floor.

First of all, @Jtminster actually gave a pretty good answer. Do you own KBSF? Heavy day is done with partials, so shorter sets. This article by @Mike Torres will give you an idea of it.

Secondly, 35 seconds is not necessarily glycolytic, as this depends on intensity. If the load is light, it could be pretty aerobic and with less involvement of IIX fibers. However, your high HR indicates that it might be glycolytic. Do you feel a burn or congestion somewhere?

Even if it is slightly glycolytic, you might just rest more, as @Xene writes. Just do singles and get up and do fast and loose between all reps (even when switching from left to right). Talk test based. Just pace yourself in a way that allows high quality throughout the whole session.

Page 22 of the SEE manual (on Strength Aerobics) will give you some more guidance. Maybe the 40kg bell is above your 80%1RM for GUs (although this is difficult to determine with GUs).

Insofar as they are a strength exercise.
Limit yourself to singles until they feel "Too Light", do not go beyond triples.
At that point get a heavier bell, and go back to singles.
Rest a little too much, to keep your reps as uniform as you can across your day's practice.

Even if it is slightly glycolytic, you might just rest more
To sharpen this beautifully fine point...

SE is not exactly only about avoiding glycolysis. But, it must have an antiglycolytic direction.

So, SE is also about:
When glycolysis is desired and used purposefully, one must at that point give the body its best chance to clear that acid relatively completely.​
Hence the Glycolytic Power Repeats Protocol.​
You go glycolytic purposefully, and with enough rest and recovery between sets and sessions, you exit the acidic state purposefully.​

I really don’t do get ups, but when I have I’ve done them with no less than about 2.5 minutes of rest between reps/sides. I didn’t know being glycolitic was a concern. I would think doing something like a timed s&s challenge where you are performing them OTM would be as glycolitic as you would want to be. And in everyday training it would be wise to train about 3x as much as that.

When I first started doing 1h swings I noticed when I did them explosively my heart rate would spike to about 175 and I would rest sometimes 2 minutes before doing another set. So there wasn’t hardly any acid build up because I would rest longer.

I would rest as long as you need to be able to be fresh for the next set. That would be pretty easy to figure out since it’s your head under 88 pounds.

Last edited:
How would one program Get-ups in SE?

I notice that when I do a 40 kg get up, my heart rate spikes towards 170 and the duration is ~35 seconds. So that would make it purely glycolytic.

But having purchased the SEE, I'm having difficulties to program them in a sensible manner.
Since they're a highly technical lift, I wouldn't use a SE type of program for the getup..

For context, can you do the timed standard with a 32, 36??

Well, why don‘t you just wait after each get up for your heartrate to lower… do fast and lose between sets.

If your heartrate spikes too much in heavy get ups try this one:
Do the get up until you stand, set down your kb, - fast and lose - clean the kettlebell, pushpress/jerk it over head and get down to the floor.

Good one!

First of all, @Jtminster actually gave a pretty good answer. Do you own KBSF? Heavy day is done with partials, so shorter sets. This article by @Mike Torres will give you an idea of it.

Secondly, 35 seconds is not necessarily glycolytic, as this depends on intensity. If the load is light, it could be pretty aerobic and with less involvement of IIX fibers. However, your high HR indicates that it might be glycolytic. Do you feel a burn or congestion somewhere?

Even if it is slightly glycolytic, you might just rest more, as @Xene writes. Just do singles and get up and do fast and loose between all reps (even when switching from left to right). Talk test based. Just pace yourself in a way that allows high quality throughout the whole session.

Page 22 of the SEE manual (on Strength Aerobics) will give you some more guidance. Maybe the 40kg bell is above your 80%1RM for GUs (although this is difficult to determine with GUs).

It's slightly above 80%, can do a 48 with both arms once.

I really don’t do get ups, but when I have I’ve done them with no less than about 2.5 minutes of rest between reps/sides. I didn’t know being glycolitic was a concern. I would think doing something like a timed s&s challenge where you are performing them OTM would be as glycolitic as you would want to be. And in everyday training it would be wise to train about 3x as much as that.

When I first started doing 1h swings I noticed when I did them explosively my heart rate would spike to about 175 and I would rest sometimes 2 minutes before doing another set. So there wasn’t hardly any acid build up because I would rest longer.

I would rest as long as you need to be able to be fresh for the next set. That would be pretty easy to figure out since it’s your head under 88 pounds.

Makes sense!

Since they're a highly technical lift, I wouldn't use a SE type of program for the getup..

For context, can you do the timed standard with a 32, 36??

I can do the timed standard with a 40, that's why I noticed the peak heart rate.

Good one!

It's slightly above 80%, can do a 48 with both arms once.

Makes sense!

I can do the timed standard with a 40, that's why I noticed the peak heart rate.
Also for context,

Following S and S guidelines, we do getups after swings so our lower bodies are in a pre-fatigued state

Did 20 get ups OTM @ 32, a little rest, and then 12 repeats of low-pull snatches and finished off with some ab work.

So, maybe I was over thinking it (shocker ROFL ) and just go with the flow
Screenshot_20240229-100953~2.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom