all posts post new thread

Old Forum Get ups Revivisited

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Atl

Level 1 Valued Member
I am ashamed to say it but ever since I moved to Arizona 4 years ago I have not done a single getup. Laying down in bare desert dirt and getting it all over me is not appealing. I have done every exercise imaginable in that 4 years...just not the getup. So after reading S&S I thought a return to basics might be in order.  So, I decided to suck it up and roll in the dirt and thorns. I can press 2 40kg bells simultaneously about 3 times, I can one hand swing a 40kg with ease and good form, I can also front squat 2 40s for many reps, an I ran 20 miles not that long ago, BUT I just found out that my getup is now (I am embarrassed to say) 16kg...but it is shaky so I scaled back and used my wife's 12kg bell. Lol...it is qute amusing. So maybe a return to basics is what I need to address some imbalances in my strength. Great job on the book Pavel!

<a title="View Ward Cinnamon's profile" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/users/atl/">Ward</a>, when you find a glaring weakness and fix it—you will see excellent gains all across the board.

And thank you for your kind words!

@Ward

I am in Tucson AZ myself. I bought some foam puzzle mats to lay down on the ground for Get Ups. Also you can get Horse Stall mats.

I found a mat in Big 5 that works for get-ups. I'd get out or the desert sand for that if I were you, and not just a mat. If you get valley fever your wife's 12s will be too heavy for you for all your lifts. A friend of mine got that here in Phoenix. Bad juju!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom