all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getting ready for SS with 24 Kg. without a lighter KB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

terje

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,

An out of shape friend of mine is stuck during the lockdown and all he has is a light barbell set (home style, not olympic). He has ordered a 24 kg. KB, but was unable to get a 16 Kg. To build up to be able to handle the 24 kg. I was thinking of the following program:

Barbell Side Press (PP style) 2*5 (in prep for TGU)
One arm loaded carry 10 min. for distance (to prep grip, anti-rotation and work capacity)

Once he gets the KB I would add 2- arm swings)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

He could, after following @Mark Limbaga's suggestion of learning the getup with no weight, and then doing getups with a shoes, try getups with his empty bar.

-S-

If his plates have holes in them at the periphery, he could do plate getups: hold the plate in his hands through the holes, just like a kettlebell. Home sets would have 10, 25 and 35 pounds (this last one, almost 16kg). He may need a wrist guard to reduce pain, depending on the configuration of the hole.

There's body weight, but can he get his hands a couple 5 gal water bottles? Usually they are pretty easy to get (I understand times are different right now). If he can, they weigh about 40lbs full (ea.) They are actually great for farmers carries. Not only would he be under an 80lb load, but it sloshes around. Or do 1H carries, like you already suggested.

Hello,

Firstly, i'd build the dynamics of the GU, performing shoe get up. That way, I would create the motor pattern.

To get the required strength, I would perform several kind of push ups:
- Regular (it would be even better with push up bars to get a bigger ROM)
- Feet elevated
- Archer
- HS

These versions work the shoulders in all directions.

Then I would work a progression toward the pistol on both legs (The Naked Warrior progression for instance). This work will also build hip mobility.

I would also build my core (leg raises / HLR, HS plank and also "windshield wipers")

Considering the swings, I would do single leg ones (there is an excellent article on SF blog in this regard) and also good mornings with perfect form.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom