all posts post new thread

Barbell Getting started with pttp

Hi everyone!

I am a 34 year old metal worker who broke his 10+ year exercise dry spell with a end-of-year Gym membership and Dan John's 10.000 Swing Challenge. A humbling experience. My Job ist not very hard, but I do move my body all day. Going prone, working Overhead, pushing and pulling things. So i was not expecting to be so out of shape.
Do not allow yourself to forget this is supposed to be fun too.

Thanks for the welcome! It looks like my Phone ate half of my post. :) Here is the rest!

I finished the 10k Swing Challenge and completed my first PTTP cycle with Conventional Deadlift, Flat Bench and Pull Up Machine. I stalled at 80kg x5 with the DL because I felt my back round. I stalled at 60 x5 with the Flat Bench. And -35kg x 3 on the Pull Up Machine. My new cycle consists of Sumo DL, incline bench and pull up machine with a different grip.

I am starting to have a few questions:
  • Is it better to use lot's of exercise variations (all the DLs from the book for example) or to stick to only 2-3 or even just 1?
  • Is a deficit Sumo DL a solid exercise to hit the legs? When playing around with the empty bar I can get close to parallel with my thighs.
  • How recommended is the Side Press from the book? I was planning on two handed overhead press, incline bench and flat bench. But I may be missing out on something not doing a one handed press.
  • Has anyone progressed pull ups alongside a deadlift and a press on pttp long term? My goal is just to get to the point where I can do a couple pull ups and I don't feel like it affects recovery for now. Other than that I just want bigger arms. So I would be OK ditching them for curls later on.
Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome! It looks like my Phone ate half of my post. :) Here is the rest!

I finished the 10k Swing Challenge and completed my first PTTP cycle with Conventional Deadlift, Flat Bench and Pull Up Machine. I stalled at 80kg x5 with the DL because I felt my back round. I stalled at 60 x5 with the Flat Bench. And -35kg x 3 on the Pull Up Machine. My new cycle consists of Sumo DL, incline bench and pull up machine with a different grip.

I am starting to have a few questions:
  • Is it better to use lot's of exercise variations (all the DLs from the book for example) or to stick to only 2-3 or even just 1?
  • Is a deficit Sumo DL a solid exercise to hit the legs? When playing around with the empty bar I can get close to parallel with my thighs.
  • How recommended is the Side Press from the book? I was planning on two handed overhead press, incline bench and flat bench. But I may be missing out on something not doing a one handed press.
  • Has anyone progressed pull ups alongside a deadlift and a press on pttp long term? My goal is just to get to the point where I can do a couple pull ups and I don't feel like it affects recovery for now. Other than that I just want bigger arms. So I would be OK ditching them for curls later on.
Thanks!
Pick one variation of a pull and a press and stick with it for a while.

Side press is nice but whatever press you want works fine. I’m pretty sure the book has a side press since it assumes you can’t clean nor have a power rack. You can bench too if you like and have the equipment.

Sure you can do pull-ups. Just work on them easy for a bit until you figure out how much you can recover from. I like to alternate pullups and presses.

OK, i missed a week because of a sudden case of bursitis in my right shoulder. No idea what caused it. No pain or soreness during or after Training. But i will limit myself to deadlifts for now and use light dumbbells and the lat pulldown to slowly ease my shoulders back into Training.

Back
Top Bottom