all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Giant 1.0 Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I finished 1.0 last week with my offset 24+16, and I loved it. Saw some *serious* hypertrophy in the upper arms and shoulders (I presume the cleans for the arms? I was also doing Steve Justa's daily singles with deadlift, so that might have added some.) I was going to slide into 1.1, but my holiday + into the new year eating have caught up with me, so I switched over to Dan John's Easy Strength for Fat Loss with (mostly) KBs for the next six weeks.
Did you have any issues with using uneven KBs? Do you think you could you run the other versions of the GIANT using a 16+24 pair?

What time did you choose?
Everyone 30 min?
@taro , I chose 30 minute sessions for the first 3 weeks increasing the volume or density (usually both) and "deloading" during week 4, going for 20% fewer reps than my week 3's effort. Whatever time I get them I shut down fir the day.

One thing I'll add is that I generally take like 10 to 15 minutes building up to the work weight using several low rep sets with lighter weight. Works for me.

Thanks for tips.
Maybe I'll test it in the future.
You wrote that training with single KB worked better for you. Yes?

Thanks for tips.
Maybe I'll test it in the future.
You wrote that training with single KB worked better for you. Yes?
@taro , the doubles program has actually worked "better"so far but I have done a round of 2.0 with a single bell in the past and it was effective! I think you'll make great gains with either version.

@Mark Limbaga hit on a point as to how this came about. (Although I certainly wouldn't say I was courageous, ?) ... I attempted some of Geoff's "singles" programs as doubles programs and he gave me a thumbs up to try them. They came from "Kettlebell Express" where the original Giant program came from. On my radar after the c+p programs is the "double king sized killer", a snatch protocol. I have done it effectively as a single bell program and will try it with doubles.

Last edited:
@taro , the doubles program has actually worked "better"so far but I have done a round of 2.0 with a single bell in the past and it was effective! I think you'll make great gains with either version.

@Mark Limbaga hit on a point as to how this came about. (Although I certainly wouldn't say I was courageous, ?) ... I attempted some of Geoff's "singles" programs as doubles programs and he gave me a thumbs up to try them. They came from "Kettlebell Express" where the original Giant program came from. On my radar after the c+p programs is the "double king sized killer", a snatch protocol. I have done it effectively as a single bell program and will try it with doubles.

Another crazy idea is double front squat madness

Did you have any issues with using uneven KBs? Do you think you could you run the other versions of the GIANT using a 16+24 pair?
Nope, no issues...not preferred, just the only pair I own is a 16, which is like a 16RM for me.

I was totally planning to run 1.1 with the same pair (unless I could get another 24 ordered), but shifted directions. I'll probably still do 1.1 once I've finished ES4FL.

What time did you choose?
Everyone 30 min?
I did 20m sessions, mainly because I was also running the Justa Singles program with the deadlift at the same time. If I were doing only the giant, I'd probably do 30m sessions.

Did my heavy day yesterday. I will say this, the 36s are a heavier pair than the 32s were! ?!

My volume and density combination is less but I definitely felt like I was "worked" for a lack of a better term. I certainly don't feel like doing anything but recovering afterward. I really enjoyed KB Strong! and would at this time have a hard time deciding whether I prefer Strong or the Giant for doubles work! I view it as a good dilemma to have!

I'm wondering if I'm the only one that does Giant / DFW with dead cleans?
I think you have an perfectly excellent reason to, given your sport. Do you find that it slows down your ability to accumulate more reps each week?

I’ve performed all my C+P with the swing though for the benefit of eccentrically loading the posterior chain as well as my shoulder external rotators. I have personally felt that I had a better chance to “zip up” which allows me to press heavier or press more times.

Week one in the books! This was a much tougher effort than I thought but effective nonetheless! Total reps for the week are fewer but I think this will be more "productive" in the long run! I'm "enjoying " it!

Week one in the books! This was a much tougher effort than I thought but effective nonetheless! Total reps for the week are fewer but I think this will be more "productive" in the long run! I'm "enjoying " it!
Nice! I did week 1 last week and was.....ahem....... kind of shocked/humbled by how hard the heavy day was. This week I pushed the heavy day sets to 9 (from 7 last week; and rests down from ~4m to ~3m). Didn't feel quite so much like I was drinking from a fire hose..... "Enjoyable" (though that's a loose term), for sure!

My week 2 of 1.0 is done. Heavy day went from 43 to 54; Medium day went from 57 to 66; and light day went from 68 to 76 (I didn't manage to sandbag). Total went from 168 to 196..... I figure by the end of week 4 I'll be Yoda levitating Luke's X-Wing. "There is no try!"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom