all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Further evidence of Geoff’s continued war against shirts with this program. All my shirts have grown tight, but now apparently I can’t even stretch without hulking out of them. Use caution running the giant if you are attached to your wardrobe. Wrapping up my 24th straight week of the program.
Love it!!

Just finished up week four of 3.0. Got stronger and slimmed up some more. No idea of my body weight as I haven’t been on a pair of scales in a couple years.
Here are the numbers using a single 32kg each arm of course:
Week #1= 66 total on a 25 minute clock, Week #2= 78 total on a 30 minute clock,
Week #3= 85 total on a 30 minute clock,
Week #4= 85 total on a 25 minute clock.

I’m very pleased with results in all aspects. I think I will now do three weeks of KSK and come back and repeat this again.

Kind of a long-winded question for the collective- looking at Geoff's instructions for autoregulation, it says to stop the set if you slow down. During my 10 RM test with 20s after Giant 3.0, the last 2 of 10 were grinds. I started 1.0 this past Monday, and on the 6-rep day, started grinding reps in the last three sets, and had to start push pressing. Here's the question, two parter: based on the grinds in the 10 RM, should I go back to 3.0, and again, based on the grinds in 1.0, should I go back and re-start 3.0 or continue with the push presses if I can't make the lifts?

During my 10 RM test with 20s after Giant 3.0, the last 2 of 10 were grinds.
I think this is fine for Giant 1.0.

I started 1.0 this past Monday, and on the 6-rep day, started grinding reps in the last three sets, and had to start push pressing.
Are you resting enough between sets?

Even if you are doing a set every 3 or 4 minutes (or even 5 at first), that's still plenty of overall volume, and not out of line, depending on:
1. How comfortable a 10RM you are using. Some people will even try it with an 8RM, which can work, but just would require more rest and result in lower total volume.​
2. Your individual work capacity at a given moment, which is a trainable adaptation, but also depends on your overall training load and your recovery from it. And if you haven't done sets of more than 3 for the past 4 weeks on 3.0, sets of 6 will require a bit of acclimation.​
3. Whether you're wired more for low rep strength or more for strength endurance, which is more of a natural disposition.​

Last edited:
I think this is fine for Giant 1.0.

Are you resting enough between sets?

Even if you are doing a set every 3 or 4 minutes (or even 5 at first), that's still plenty of overall volume, and not out of line, depending on:
1. How comfortable a 10RM you are using. Some people will even try it with an 8RM, which can work, but just would require more rest and result in lower total volume.​
2. Your individual work capacity at a given moment, which is a trainable adaptation, but also depends on your overall training load and your recovery from it. If you haven't done sets of more than 3 for the past 4 weeks on 3.0, sets of 6 will require a bit of acclimation.​
3. Whether you're wired more for low rep strength or more for strength endurance, which is more of natural disposition.​
"Are you resting enough between sets?" Cue the Live and Let Die voodoo villain laughter. No. No, I was not. After I read your response this morning, I applied more rest to my 4-rep practice today and while I didn't have as many sets as my ego wanted, they felt really good going up. No push presses at all.

Looks like 4:30 rest for me, and I'll see how that works on Wednesday with 6 reps. Thanks Steve.

Paul

Giant 1.0 was tough for me with the 24kg.(well the 6 rep day) I am thinking instead of 1.1 I may try Giant 2.0 with the ladders? Anyone else do that?

Thanks!
Yup.....my first time through I did the 2.0 before the 1.0 with 32s.....I wanted to ease into higher rep clean and press sets.....it worked!

My second time through with 36s I did the 1.0 first then the 2.0.....it also worked well.

Thanks John! I had a feeling I was on the right track but with your advice now I know that is a smoother path. Thank you sir!
Thank you for saying that Mike, but as you know I'm really a Jack a@@ so taking advice from me isn't always a prudent thing, !

The 2.0 is a great tool to get used to the higher reps......hit up a set of more than five but then retreat to a triple and work back up......it's more "humane" in my mind!

Hello everyone
I am new to kettlebel training the giant is the first program I started doing (Such a great program!). I finished giant 1.0 and I am now in the middle of week 3 of giant 1.1 (using a single 20KG bell). Would you guys recommend that I do giant 1.2 after giant 1.1 with the same weight? Or do you think I would benefit more if I did giant 3.0 after giant 1.1 but using a heavier bell (24 kg I guess should be around my 5RM). Week 3 day 1 of giant 1.1 I did 12 sets of 6 each side. By the way I am interested in strength more than conditioning.

Thanks!

Hello everyone
I am new to kettlebel training the giant is the first program I started doing (Such a great program!). I finished giant 1.0 and I am now in the middle of week 3 of giant 1.1 (using a single 20KG bell). Would you guys recommend that I do giant 1.2 after giant 1.1 with the same weight? Or do you think I would benefit more if I did giant 3.0 after giant 1.1 but using a heavier bell (24 kg I guess should be around my 5RM). Week 3 day 1 of giant 1.1 I did 12 sets of 6 each side. By the way I am interested in strength more than conditioning.

Thanks!
Do you have a pair of bells you can use? As much as I enjoyed the single bell version of the Giant I notice the most gains in strength using doubles.

After running The Giant 3.0 for 2 cycles (single 20kg, then uneven pairs of 20kg and 16kg) and have fairly decent results strength wise, now I’m on week 1 day 3 of Giant 1.0.
I’m using single 16kg with no rest between sides. Well, it’s enough to say that it takes my breath away.

Can’t wait to complain about shrinking tshirts like you all do. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom