all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

@daft21 to build on what @John K is saying. You can use this time with single KB Giant to begin patterning your double KB movements as a finisher.

For example, I am running KB GHFL with DCJ. I began patterning the DCJ about a year ago. Practicing the mobility exercises, then practicing the components of the lift, then putting it all together and practicing the lift.

My finisher right now is cleans with 2x32k bells. 28s are about my 12 RM for DCP. My cleans with 2x32k bells are inconsistent. I am really working hard to get 5 solid cleans in a row. Eventually those 5 cleans will be solid. Then I will start pressing the bells.

So I made progress every week in giant 1.0 but I have had mixed results so far in 1.1. I did week one all well and good (nothing to compare too) but then in week 2 I increased my reps on day 1 but dropped on day 2 and day 3 was same as week before. I’m sure this is nothing to worry about and quite normal? I had terrible sleep on the day 2 due to my little girl having night terrors. I’ll update once I have done week 3 1.1

@daft21 to build on what @John K is saying. You can use this time with single KB Giant to begin patterning your double KB movements as a finisher.

For example, I am running KB GHFL with DCJ. I began patterning the DCJ about a year ago. Practicing the mobility exercises, then practicing the components of the lift, then putting it all together and practicing the lift.

My finisher right now is cleans with 2x32k bells. 28s are about my 12 RM for DCP. My cleans with 2x32k bells are inconsistent. I am really working hard to get 5 solid cleans in a row. Eventually those 5 cleans will be solid. Then I will start pressing the bells.
So, are you using heavier 2x32 cleans to build up to pressing them? I’m kind of doing this with my 28’s. I can press them but my upper back gets fried quickly so am just doing double 28 cleans only in the hope of not only getting stronger in the clean but being able to press them better

So I made progress every week in giant 1.0 but I have had mixed results so far in 1.1. I did week one all well and good (nothing to compare too) but then in week 2 I increased my reps on day 1 but dropped on day 2 and day 3 was same as week before. I’m sure this is nothing to worry about and quite normal? I had terrible sleep on the day 2 due to my little girl having night terrors. I’ll update once I have done week 3 1.1
Don’t worry about it, reduced sleep and some stress will have affected you for sure.
I remember our oldest having night terrors for a period of time, not fun seeing her go through that.

Anyone hack the program by doing some sets with the next bell size up?
I rarely tryed if i can mange the next bell size during my giant cycles without going all out on it.

@John K actually Geoff Neupert recommends something similar in his YT videos like you recommended to me. Namely being able to do 10x5 in 20 mins with a single 24kg kettlebell before moving to doubles.

So, are you using heavier 2x32 cleans to build up to pressing them? I’m kind of doing this with my 28’s. I can press them but my upper back gets fried quickly so am just doing double 28 cleans only in the hope of not only getting stronger in the clean but being able to press them better
Yes. I think currently my solid 5 RM might possibly be in between the 2x28s and the 2x32s. I can do 12 reps with the 28s. (The last two reps are a bit ragged) I can do 4 ugly reps with the 32s. My press is stronger than my cleans. I have decided to focus on the cleans because the quality of the cleans dictate the quality of the lift that follows.

For me, my progress to heavier KBs has slowed down. I began working with 28s last April. I anticipated that for DCPs the 32s would be my 7 or 10 RM bells by now. I certainly thought the 32s would be my solid 5RM bells by now. I am not discouraged. Progress slows as you get to the outer limits of your strength. I believe that the quality of my cleans with the 32s is the key to unlocking the bells for me.

After running GFHL I hope to be ready to try either Strong! or KB RMF with 32s.

Last edited:
Yes. I think currently my solid 5 RM might possibly be in between the 2x28s and the 2x32s. I can do 12 reps with the 28s. (The last two reps are a bit ragged) I can do 4 ugly reps with the 32s. My press is stronger than my cleans. I have decided to focus on the cleans because the quality of the cleans dictate the quality of the lift that follows.

For me, my progress to heavier KBs has slowed down. I began working with 28s last April. I anticipated that for DCPs the 32s would be my 7 or 10 RM bells by now. I certainly thought the 32s would be my solid 5RM bells by now. I am not discouraged. Progress slows as you get to the outer limits of your strength. I believe that the quality of my cleans with the 32s is the key to unlocking the bells for me.

After running GFHL I hope to be ready to try either Strong! or KB RMF with 32s.
I think I will revisit Strong after July. Good luck to both of us!! I’d like to be able to comfortably C&P and FSQ the 32’s eventually. Eventually haha

I think I will revisit Strong after July. Good luck to both of us!! I’d like to be able to comfortably C&P and FSQ the 32’s eventually. Eventually haha
Thanks!! Luck to you too.

I have the same goal with the 32s. It will take me longer to accomplish the goal than I originally thought when I began the journey. I'm not discouraged. I have learned a lot about myself on this journey. I am enjoying the process. And, when I finally accomplish the goal of being comfortable with the 32s for both DCP and DFSQs, it will make it all the sweeter.

@blad51 @John K
I wanted to thank you guys again! I had the opportunity to get hands on a pair of 20 kg kettlebells and made a solid 9 RM. I just ordered a second 20kg Kettlebell and will start over with Giant 1.0 and double 20s. After I' am going probably with 2.0->1.1->1.2. Then Soju and Tuba or Giant 3.0 with 24s depending on RM. You were right that same weight kettlebells feel much smoother than uneven pairs.
I also bought Giant X but i am probably going to Stick with Giant original but could also do Giant X.1 after Giant 1.0

@blad51 @John K
I wanted to thank you guys again! I had the opportunity to get hands on a pair of 20 kg kettlebells and made a solid 9 RM. I just ordered a second 20kg Kettlebell and will start over with Giant 1.0 and double 20s. After I' am going probably with 2.0->1.1->1.2. Then Soju and Tuba or Giant 3.0 with 24s depending on RM. You were right that same weight kettlebells feel much smoother than uneven pairs.
I also bought Giant X but i am probably going to Stick with Giant original but could also do Giant X.1 after Giant 1.0
Awesome! Have fun and train hard!

@blad51 @John K

That's great news! I bought my 20k bells thinking that they would only be useful as transition bells. That I would soon outgrow them and they'd be unused and gathering dust in short order.

Well...

I have found my 20k bells to be very useful. They have figured prominently in my kettlebell training in ways that I did not imagine when I bought them. You're gonna get a lot of good training from those 20s.

I partipated in the Beta Test for Giant X. I ran all 3 programs. It's a little different than The Giant. Though the programs are similar, they're different enough to be distinct programs. (Kinda of like siblings...different but similar. )

I enjoyed both Giant and Giant X. I can't pick a favorite. They both have very good qualities...just a little different from each other.

Last edited:
So you see no reason to buy say a second 24kg?

I can only agree on that. Felt pretty nice using doubles.

I already own 20,24,28 and 32kg kettlebells so the cheapest solution would be pairing the ones i already have.
Or, getting 1 adjustable, then you basically have 4 sets of doubles. That is what I wish I did. I have double adjustable, but there are less kettlebells in my garage gym to look at.

Or, getting 1 adjustable, then you basically have 4 sets of doubles. That is what I wish I did. I have double adjustable, but there are less kettlebells in my garage gym to look at.
Thx for your reply. I already own now double 20, 24 and single 10, 28, 32. I also own a Kettlebell storage device. If i started from scratch i'd really consider double adjustable.

I’m new here and to kettlebells, but have had a fun month so far with the Giant 1.0.

I did the RepTest with a single adjustable KB @35 lbs back in January and ordered a pair of 16kg hardstyle bells from Rep to start the journey. The last ~2 reps with the left side weren’t perfect, but I eeked out 10. Later I added a “power systems” 20kg that seemed like a good deal.

MondayWednesdayFriday
Week 1 16/16 TR-24715 sets14 sets22 sets
Week 2 16/16* TR- 25018 sets16 sets16 sets switch to 16/20*
Week 3 16/20 TR - 23814 sets14 sets21 sets

After working into the second week and getting about 30 pages deep on this thread, I started to believe my rep count was too high and upgraded to the 16/20 on the Friday 4 rep day since it was the “lightest”. Instant drop in reps attained, but it felt doable yet challenging. Week 3 I kept the 16/20 setup and was basically able to match my week 1 output which felt great.

My form has definitely improved after the practice, and my “weaker” left shoulder/arm I swear is now my stronger arm. I plan to take it easier on next week’s deload and drop to 20 minute sessions.

Next Sunday I plan to perform a new rep test with my soon to be delivered adjustable BoS bells @24 KG, and jump to the giant 3.0. If I’m not able to hoist 24kg or fall well short of 5 reps, I’ll redo 1.0 at 20/20 or 22/22 or something similar. Here is hoping for the former.
Howdy guys, I am back with some progression/updates. Finished my above first round of the giant with a deload, going back to 16 doubles which felt really nice. Had a little medical issue where I had to take a week off in between, but then proceeded to test my 24RM test. I got 1, sort of and it was really hard. I opted to redo the Giant 1.0 with double 20s, further upgrading the weight from my mid-program switch to 16/20. I did not do a RM test with the double 20s, but figured I could pump out at least 8 since I did 14 sets on the heavy day week 3 with 16/20.

Giant 1.0 double 20sDay 1Day 2Day 3
Week 1 total 21614 sets11 sets20 sets
Week 2 total 25216 sets14 sets22 sets
Week 3 total 27218 sets15 sets23 sets
Wow! I was able to increase my reps every session, and a pretty significant jump in total reps week to week. For autoregulation I used my Apple Watch heart rate, and would let it drop to 100-110 before starting the next set. I went in with a rough plan on how many sets I was going for, and broke that down into 10 minute checkpoints, so at occasion I did start a set at 110-120 in order to stay at schedule. Towards the end I normally played with my rest breaks and starting heart rate to fit in a finishing set.

Next steps, deload week, then probably giant 1.1 with the 20s again. I really don’t think I can get 5 reps with the 24s yet. My other thought would be loading up the adjustables to 22kg and restarting 1.0, but I think I’d prefer the variety of a new rep scheme. I’m really impressed with how the program is working so far and that in just a few weeks I was able to get my 20/20 week reps above where I was with the 16/16. The 20s still feel plenty heavy on the presses, but I know I will be blasting out >100 reps in each daily session. Is there a point where reps are too high for program design?

Hello Everyone!
It has been a long time since I posted here the last time was about 5 months ago when I did 4 months with the Giant using double 20s with great success. I have been trying out different programs for a while and now I just started for the first time using double 24s exclusively with the Giant X1 for the first time. When I tested my max C&P before running it I got 9 reps. Here are my number for the first week doing 20:00 of work.
W1D1: 36 reps
W1D2: 29 reps
W1D3: 32 reps
This week has been good and I try to hold myself from pushing myself too hard. I am still thinking what will I do after X1 I guess it will either X2 or X3 or Just The OG Giant 1.2. My Goal is to do DFW with Double 28s after 12-16 week of running Giant with Double 24s.

Might be a dumb question, but I need some advice. I have been running the The Giant for a few months, but my shoulders have been acting up on my for 5-6 weeks now.

Not been able to follow the program, and even though I have taken a week off it has not helped considerably.

One of the main reasons I have been doing The Giant is because it is supposed to be good for hypertrophy and general fitness.

I considering doing a Giant structured program but with double clean only, skipping the press. So the question is, what am I missing with regards to general fitness and hypertrophy if I do 4-8 weeks of double cleans only?

Might be a dumb question, but I need some advice. I have been running the The Giant for a few months, but my shoulders have been acting up on my for 5-6 weeks now.

Not been able to follow the program, and even though I have taken a week off it has not helped considerably.

One of the main reasons I have been doing The Giant is because it is supposed to be good for hypertrophy and general fitness.

I considering doing a Giant structured program but with double clean only, skipping the press. So the question is, what am I missing with regards to general fitness and hypertrophy if I do 4-8 weeks of double cleans only?
A lot.

Cleans are a ballistic movement, not ideal for hypertrophy, especially on their own.

You’d be better of taking time off, seeing a pt and hopping back with single bell (I assume you’re using doubles). Single bell work is a lot more forgiving on your shoulder(s).

Do it with double kb squats. Shoulders happy and well, it’s not like you won’t grow if you’re squatting 3 x a week and eating for it

Or do it with just double cleans, but one bell size up. Your hips are stronger than your shoulders. IF it doesn’t annoy them

Either way I don’t think your shoulders will shrink.

Currently doing double cleans only for a month due to a tight neck/traps issue. I’m not eating to build muscle but I’m not wasting away. In fact I’m sure my biceps are getting bigger.

Back
Top Bottom