all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I’m only 2 weeks into 1.0... My question is whether I’m pushing myself enough... I definitely have that same feeling I did after S and S where I feel more energized and not like I’m on empty... And definitely WAY less of the holy crap I’m spent feeling that I did after really pushing myself with ROP. (Currently doing 1.0 with 2x16 and was doing ROP with the 24. My heavy volume day was 10 sets x 6 reps this week.

I’m only 2 weeks into 1.0... My question is whether I’m pushing myself enough... I definitely have that same feeling I did after S and S where I feel more energized and not like I’m on empty... And definitely WAY less of the holy crap I’m spent feeling that I did after really pushing myself with ROP. (Currently doing 1.0 with 2x16 and was doing ROP with the 24. My heavy volume day was 10 sets x 6 reps this week.

What is your 10 RM? That determines it pretty much.

Does anyone have a Giant excel/google spreadsheet they are willing to share? I’ve seen some snapshots of a couple of great ones on here.

Just my opinion here but if you can do a whole other program on your "off" days, you may want to reevaluate the size of the bells you're using. They may in fact be not heavy enough!

I find walking afterwards and on off days doesn't interfere at all.
Thats for me answer. I cant do any lift in day off because i feel so tired . Only mobility drills is needed to add as body become so stick.

Today was week 2, 6's day with 1.0. Decided, let's warm up and do our rep maxes. 55's. Did 5 clean and press. Probably had a 6th, but didn't push it. Rested 2 minutes. Did 45's. 12 easy and left a couple in the tank. more like 15 if I wanted to burn out.

Stopped being stubborn. Shelved 1.0. Grabbed the 55's. and started, day 1 week 1 with 3.0. Going to do a quick and dirty cycle of that until vacation which starts June 9. Every other day instead of 3 x /week.

25 sets x 2 in 29 minutes. Reps were quick and crisp.

Generally question who from you is doing only Giant/strong program? If not what do you add during the week?
It's early days for me - I'm on week 3 of 3.0 only using 24s for push press.

So far I've been doing light swings and sometimes get ups to warm up for my sessions. Nothing hard and makes me feel ready to press start on the timer and do my first set

After my sessions I've settled on band pull aparts and ab wheel, just easy stuff

On off days i occasionally do light movements. A set or two of chins, one set of pushups, one slow get up etc . Very light and I think it promotes recovery to move.

Geoff has said something like, if you must add something you can do one movement for around 10 reps, e.g 3x3 squats or something

It's early days for me - I'm on week 3 of 3.0 only using 24s for push press.

So far I've been doing light swings and sometimes get ups to warm up for my sessions. Nothing hard and makes me feel ready to press start on the timer and do my first set

After my sessions I've settled on band pull aparts and ab wheel, just easy stuff

On off days i occasionally do light movements. A set or two of chins, one set of pushups, one slow get up etc . Very light and I think it promotes recovery to move.

Geoff has said something like, if you must add something you can do one movement for around 10 reps, e.g 3x3 squats or something
I'm not criticizing your light movements on off days so please don't think I'm being a jerk but can I ask why? Are you in a profession that requires you to be tested in them?

My experience.... again we are all different....my experience has been if I'm going to "add" something to a program like Strong or the Giant, I'd do those "light repetitions" as a warmup before my training session or on a Giant training day. The other thought would be not worry about them at all. When I first started the Giant back in the fall I figured I'd hit up some 044 snatches on an off day...when I returned to do a Giant workout the day after my lower back was slightly fatigued and my shoulders were a little sore. They were fine the day before which was a Tuesday after my Monday Giant workout. The 044 was only 2 rounds and I said that's no big deal. It was a big deal on Wednesday's Giant workout which was a "heavy rep/volume day"....

Again, I mean no disrespect, just curiosity.

During 1.0 with 24s I was adding either swings or ring pull-ups+dfsq on my off days and still made progress. However, since starting 1.1 with 28s I can't imagine adding anything substantial.
That being said, I still feel much better doing light activity than complete rest. OS resets, mace 360, Indian Clubs, prying goblet sq, windmills, band pull aparts, bike commuting, walking. . .

What was your 10RM? 2x16s?

If so, you're doing the program correctly.

Don't fall into the trap of feeling like you need to "feel spent" after your training.

Had a good week of training. After deciding to go with 3.0 I then decided to push the rep counts up by 1. No longer the Giant but after DFW felt like the right level and if I'm honest I really don't enjoy the days of singles now that the bells are feeling lighter.

Monday - 14 x 3 = 42 reps
Wednesday - 10 x 4 = 40 reps
Friday - 23 x 2 = 46 reps

Doing this with 2x16 and the bells feel like they're flying up. For my second set of 2s today I tried 2 x 24 and managed a couple of very shaky push presses. It's going to be a long journey getting to the point I can throw them about!

Definitely planning to follow up this 4 week block with the full Giant 1.0 - 1.2 run over 12 weeks which will hopefully get me strong enough to do 3.0 with the 2 x 24s or at least strong enough to do singles.

I'm not criticizing your light movements on off days so please don't think I'm being a jerk but can I ask why? Are you in a profession that requires you to be tested in them?

My experience.... again we are all different....my experience has been if I'm going to "add" something to a program like Strong or the Giant, I'd do those "light repetitions" as a warmup before my training session or on a Giant training day. The other thought would be not worry about them at all. When I first started the Giant back in the fall I figured I'd hit up some 044 snatches on an off day...when I returned to do a Giant workout the day after my lower back was slightly fatigued and my shoulders were a little sore. They were fine the day before which was a Tuesday after my Monday Giant workout. The 044 was only 2 rounds and I said that's no big deal. It was a big deal on Wednesday's Giant workout which was a "heavy rep/volume day"....

Again, I mean no disrespect, just curiosity.
Hi John. Don't worry you're too well respected on this forum for anyone to think you were being a jerk :)

I do light movements - and I stress, light - for a number of reasons.

With my work schedule and 4 week old newborn at home, I'm struggling to lift 3 x per week on non-consecutive days. I'm often only getting two sessions of the Giant done per week instead of 3. Or 5 per fortnight at best. Often I can only train Friday, Saturday, Sunday, in which case I might do: Friday - Giant, Saturday - light swings, Sunday - Giant.... then 4 days not working out. This is to avoid doing the Giant three days in a row but still get something in.

If I'm doing other light movements, it's often when working from home and sitting long periods. I find moving makes me feel so much better. For example the other dang I hung from my chin up bar about 4 x 30sec throughout the day (something geoff has recommended for decompression). I also did 3 x 5 unweighted single leg deadlifts (which are ludicrously light). Really just an activation exercise. The other day I did a single set of 5 chin ups (my max is 19) and 15 pushups as part of my Giant warm up. Some easy variety to stay familiar with other movements but without incurring much if any recovery cost. At least that's the plan.

Back
Top Bottom