all posts post new thread

GMB and Kettlebells

justinr

Level 5 Valued Member
Fun to watch Ryan Hurst combine his love of locomotion with kettlebells.

Edit to Add: GMB has a long form post as well - Integrating Movement And Kettlebell Training GMB Fitness

Last edited:
Fun to watch Ryan Hurst combine his love of locomotion with kettlebells.

Edit to Add: GMB has a long form post as well - Integrating Movement And Kettlebell Training GMB Fitness
I like the GMB crew and their work. They were quite helpful for me as a beginner.

I discovered them recently. I'm tempted by the Element programme, but I'm wondering if it's really compatible with a strength/conditioning programme based on Kettlebells (2 days strength, 2 days conditioning). Wouldn't that be too much ?
If anyone has already tried Element, I'd like to have some advice...

I discovered them recently. I'm tempted by the Element programme, but I'm wondering if it's really compatible with a strength/conditioning programme based on Kettlebells (2 days strength, 2 days conditioning). Wouldn't that be too much ?
Last summer I took a break from KB and did just Elements but it was more of a deload. I did enjoy it quite a bit. It starts very easy but ramps up. You can pick how long you want each work out to be. I think if you did the shorter sessions you could easily do it concurrently with a weight regimen.

Yeah the app let's you pick how long and how often you'd like the train. As little as 15 min and I think up to 45 or 60 min. With the warm-up, the shortest takes maybe 20 min. Nice for a deload, active recovery, or even part of a more fleshed out session that includes kettlebells.

They are working on new rings programming, but in the meantime, if you can track down some of their older rings stuff (if that is on your list of goals at all), I highly recommend it. I did maybe 6 months of rings training + S&S style swing progression, and some Elements on odd days, and loved it. Talk about WTH effect. PR'ed my TGU without training it.

Elements is the only mobility program that I am able to stick with. I’ve tried a bunch, but Elements hits the fun and useful categories for me.

When I first did Elements all the way through was a couple of years ago, and I made it my training priority. I did 4 days a week with 45 minute sessions. Took me right around 9 weeks to go through the whole program. Two other days of the week I ran 5/3/1 (specifically the Limited Time template in Forever. 2 days lifting, 2 days mobility, 2 days conditioning). I used Elements as my 2 days mobility and 2 days conditioning. I also finished up each training day with 20 minutes of Z2 cardio (my cardiologist requires it :) ). I used an 80% training max. It was all about maintaining strength for 9 weeks. Didn’t care about pushing the lifts.

At the end of my 9 weeks, I was hooked. At this point, the more advanced movements I’ll only do occasionally just so I maintain them. I’m thinking of the slow frogger, monkey cartwheel, bent arm bear, etc. But all the core movements and transitions are basically my warm up and mobility sessions now. I’ve been doing Elements long enough that I can just get on the ground for 10 minutes and go through some stuff. If I’ve got a lower body workout, I focus more on monkey and frogger (a couple of bear walks if it’s deadlift day as bear warms up the hamstrings quite nicely). Upper body I focus more on bear and crab.

In thinking back on it, the first few weeks were very boring. But once you get to transitions, it gets more fun and you can really start seeing the mobility pay offs.

I will probably never look as smooth as Ryan Hurst does, but Elements will be in my training for the rest of my training life.

You've convinced me... I've just bought the program ;)
I'm going to try short sessions on days off or the morning. Seems to be a good addition to my favorite minimalists StrongFirst programs. Lifting heavy weight in a minimalist approach, moving my body in as many different ways as possible in a maximalist approach...

Was going to recommend GMB Mobility as it's more focused on mobility, and introduces even lower risk of overtraining.

However, Elements is a fine choice and won't be much of a threat for overtraining unless you do something like bent-arm Bear when they tell you do do regular Bear.

Was going to recommend GMB Mobility as it's more focused on mobility, and introduces even lower risk of overtraining.

However, Elements is a fine choice and won't be much of a threat for overtraining unless you do something like bent-arm Bear when they tell you do do regular Bear.
Ah, interesting, haven't checked their developments in the last few years. Can you give us a hint how sessions are structured compared to Elements?

[Edit: Found this helpful comparison: GMB Mobility Vs Elements - Which One Should You Pick? ]

Elements was one of my first programs (back in 2014 or so) and I had great fun exploring movements with it.

Can the folks who have done the program talk about the benefits? What differences (if any) did you notice after the program?

Last summer I took a break from KB and did just Elements but it was more of a deload. I did enjoy it quite a bit. It starts very easy but ramps up. You can pick how long you want each work out to be. I think if you did the shorter sessions you could easily do it concurrently with a weight regimen.
What benefits did you notice? (If any?)

Can the folks who have done the program talk about the benefits? What differences (if any) did you notice after the program?
Since both Mobility and Elements has been brought up, I can only talk to Elements.

3 main things I got out of it and still reap the benefits from.

The first is that while I’ve always had good hip mobility, it usually took some warming up and goblet prying squats to get them completely open for an easy a#@ to grass squat. After Elements (frogger and the monkey specifically), I can drop to an a#@ to grass w/o any warmup and say in the position for a long time.

The second is my benchpresser’s posture (exasperated by my computer programmer posture) was reversed using the crab and table top positions.

The third is all the straight arm work in the bear and frogger ”fixed” my overhead position. No more little aches when pressing heavy overhead, during snatches, or clean and jerks.

But the biggest reason I keep doing it - it’s fun. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the first few weeks are boring because you’re working on foundational movements. But for me once I got into the transitions and I started stringing them together into my own flows, it’s a lot of fun. Up until I started Elements, I was so laser focused on competitions that I wasn’t really having any fun.

Since both Mobility and Elements has been brought up, I can only talk to Elements.

3 main things I got out of it and still reap the benefits from.

The first is that while I’ve always had good hip mobility, it usually took some warming up and goblet prying squats to get them completely open for an easy a#@ to grass squat. After Elements (frogger and the monkey specifically), I can drop to an a#@ to grass w/o any warmup and say in the position for a long time.

The second is my benchpresser’s posture (exasperated by my computer programmer posture) was reversed using the crab and table top positions.

The third is all the straight arm work in the bear and frogger ”fixed” my overhead position. No more little aches when pressing heavy overhead, during snatches, or clean and jerks.

But the biggest reason I keep doing it - it’s fun. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the first few weeks are boring because you’re working on foundational movements. But for me once I got into the transitions and I started stringing them together into my own flows, it’s a lot of fun. Up until I started Elements, I was so laser focused on competitions that I wasn’t really having any fun.
Thankyou for the reply

Ah, interesting, haven't checked their developments in the last few years. Can you give us a hint how sessions are structured compared to Elements?

[Edit: Found this helpful comparison: GMB Mobility Vs Elements - Which One Should You Pick? ]

Elements was one of my first programs (back in 2014 or so) and I had great fun exploring movements with it.

Yes, that comparison is pretty thorough.

In both programs, the session starts with a Prepare section in with you do joint mobility and light stretching exercise.

After Prepare, Mobility takes you through PNF stretches, then locomotion to explore your newly gained ROM. Elements has you training more for a mix of strength/body control and flexibility through locomotion.

Another difference is Elements will often have you finish the session with a bit of conditioning, typically by pushing the pace of the locomotions.

Last edited:
I have completed Elements 3 times.

It is a solid GPP program that is geared towards improving movement control and mobility. Which includes strength and conditioning components as well. Some of their core principals are very much inline w SF.

Their website gives an honest explanation of what to expect and what to get.

I believe what you get from a good GPP is very much related to where you are in your strength and fitness journey and what your goals are.

I can list what I learned and gained from Elements here, but it will not have much meaning.

I've started the program... I will stick with it for 3-4 months and see what happens !

Reactions: Ege
Most snatch videos I have seen the feet stay flat - do many people do this tiptoe variation ? Is it a way of getting a bit of extra help from legs ?

I have completed Elements 3 times.

It is a solid GPP program that is geared towards improving movement control and mobility. Which includes strength and conditioning components as well. Some of their core principals are very much inline w SF.

Their website gives an honest explanation of what to expect and what to get.

I believe what you get from a good GPP is very much related to where you are in your strength and fitness journey and what your goals are.

I can list what I learned and gained from Elements here, but it will not have much meaning.
Thanks for the reply

Most snatch videos I have seen the feet stay flat - do many people do this tiptoe variation ? Is it a way of getting a bit of extra help from legs ?
It is better suited for the "dead snatch" from the ground/floor as opposed to a set of kettlebell snatches where you use the backswing of the hinge. With the dead snatch (a fine variation, but not the usual one for StrongFirst practitioners), it's more similar to a barbell snatch, and therefore may have some more similarities to it, including the triple extension.

We recently discussed the heels coming off the floor ('triple extension") in the double snatch, here: Triple extension on double kettlebell snatches

For most hardstyle snatches, the heels stay planted.

I've started the program... I will stick with it for 3-4 months and see what happens !
How did it go? what did or do you think of elements? Have a little one at home so thinking something along these lines will help me keep up with him.
Probably going to try 2 days elements 2 days iron cardio or S&S.

Back
Top Bottom