all posts post new thread

GMB and Kettlebells

Yeah the app let's you pick how long and how often you'd like the train. As little as 15 min and I think up to 45 or 60 min. With the warm-up, the shortest takes maybe 20 min. Nice for a deload, active recovery, or even part of a more fleshed out session that includes kettlebells.

They are working on new rings programming, but in the meantime, if you can track down some of their older rings stuff (if that is on your list of goals at all), I highly recommend it. I did maybe 6 months of rings training + S&S style swing progression, and some Elements on odd days, and loved it. Talk about WTH effect. PR'ed my TGU without training it.
That sounds like a really solid combination for a foundation to do just about everything.

I've done Elements and Mobility...Mobility once, but I'm on my third round of Elements. Honestly, I found Mobility less interesting. I use Elements 2-3x/week on recovery days. For me, it's been a good compliment to my kettlebell work.

Has anyone used the Mobility for Life program by Ryan Hurst that is found on strongandfit? If so, curious how that stacks up versus Mobility or Elements?

Has anyone used the Mobility for Life program by Ryan Hurst that is found on strongandfit? If so, curious how that stacks up versus Mobility or Elements?
I haven't bought it, but from the table of contents it looks like a joint mobility programme, more like "Super Joints" by Pavel. So it should be similar to the warmup of Elements, but it does not include much locomotion. I like the idea of some short follow allong routines ("For Desk Jockeys", "For Hiking", etc.).

I haven't bought it, but from the table of contents it looks like a joint mobility programme, more like "Super Joints" by Pavel. So it should be similar to the warmup of Elements, but it does not include much locomotion. I like the idea of some short follow allong routines ("For Desk Jockeys", "For Hiking", etc.).
I don’t know about this program, but I have used GMB Elements, Mobility, and Integral Strength. I love GMB programs. If I were not a KB fan, I would do GMB everyday. Even now I combine GMB Elements with my main workout, either using 15min versions as warmups or run Mobility on off days. I found GMB methods weird when I started but I started seeing results. I was doing the frogger and I didn’t realise until much later that my squat depth improved. There are other movements that do feel weird but build mobility and strength. I will definitely recommend it to anyone - beginner or advanced.

@ItemB
I think the program is very well designed. It's still very, very basic, despite the fact that I'm not very mobile. It's also nice to incorporate a bit of "play"; there's no standard form at GMB, which is liberating in some ways and avoids the frustration of not being able to do certain positions "perfectly". I also totally agree with the designers' mindset.

You can choose a session length of 45, 30 or 15 minutes. It's perfectly possible to do the program for 15 minutes on a daily basis, as a general warm-up or morning routine, or alternating with IC/S&S (3 days IC/S&S, 3 days GMB Elements). It won't be too taxing for someone who's a bit sporty/active.

For my personal use, the hip mobility component is very, very useful. The coordination component and the upper-train work are a little less useful to me at the moment.

I find that it complements the kb work very well (especially the fact of "playing" in unusual positions), but doesn't necessarily "reinforce" it.
I hope this feedback will help.

Out of curiosity I logged into the forum today and did a search for GMB. Glad to find this thread. I haven’t done GMB work beyond Elements but otherwise will agree with what @Matthieu and @mvikred have said on the topic.

When I was first training for SFB some years ago, my coach used Elements material that I think helped my preparation.

Now nomadic and without kettlebells, so bodyweight needs to be the foundation of my training, am expecting GMB to provide the basis for that. I redid Elements and finished it today. I’ll probably do theit Integral Strength program next and based on the Elements experience am expecting a lot from it.

Again Elements is the only GMB program I’m familiar with for now, but think it’s a great companion to kettlebell work.

Elements always seems to keep me “Feeling well” and surprisingly very strong. I began the program at 290 lbs and finished it at around 230 (graduation weight). Now I did clean up my diet BIG TIME and gave up beer. I went out to the garage and banged out 8 handstand push ups and 6 full ROM pull ups nice and slow ones.

I now worry like I’m missing out on weights and would like to complete the program again but need to find a big pull, ie deadlifts once a week or kettlebell swings 1-2 days. Has anyone combined weights with Elements or will your back get stronger without training a big pull?

Elements always seems to keep me “Feeling well” and surprisingly very strong. I began the program at 290 lbs and finished it at around 230 (graduation weight). Now I did clean up my diet BIG TIME and gave up beer. I went out to the garage and banged out 8 handstand push ups and 6 full ROM pull ups nice and slow ones.

I now worry like I’m missing out on weights and would like to complete the program again but need to find a big pull, ie deadlifts once a week or kettlebell swings 1-2 days. Has anyone combined weights with Elements or will your back get stronger without training a big pull?
I use what I learned from Elements everyday. But I don’t fire up Praxis (their online software) for Elements anymore. I know all the movements, the transitions, etc. So now it‘s just Play for me, as opposed to their model of Prepare, Play, and Push. A lot of people that follow Wendler’s 5/3/1 (my programming of choice) use the DeFranco Agile 8 (or is it 11 now?) as their warm up. I use 10 to 15 minutes of Elements.

So if I’m doing deadlift, I tend to use Bear and Twisting Bear. Squat is mainly transitioning between Frogger and Monkey. Benchpress and Overhead press I use Crab to open up my chest and shoulders. I’ll throw in some transitions with Crab because 15 minutes of Crab is boring.

At the end of my session, I‘ll do probably 5 more minutes of the same movements I used in warm up as active cool down.

I just saw that Tim Almond is praising for his success with Elements - I am digging Into it and saw that there are lots of free resources available in the internet.

Would love to try it for some time, but the price is...high!

Back
Top Bottom