all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Goals Changing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
When I started training again a year ago my head was full of ideas. “Bigger arms. Bigger chest. Etc...”. I’m glad I just picked a program eventually and stuck to it. Taking the guess work out was great. I got stronger. Much stronger.

Now that I’m starting ROP over again my goal is just to complete it again but stricter and with better form. If my arms or chest get bigger they do. If they don’t they don’t. I just want to do it right.
I’m glad (at least right now) my goal is just to get stronger and I’m not hyper focused on body composition. I’m sure I’ll care more about that at some point but right now strength is the clear goal.

Edit: I GUESS it didn’t hurt that I definitely did get more muscular though :)

@IMayAgainKnowChris , nice work. Although SF is more strength oriented, I don't think aesthetic goals are necessarily an issue.
What I like about your post is it sounds like you've moved on from "performance/outcome goals" to "process goals" as evidenced by your concern with stricter and better form. I love to see that sort of thing; we can never guarantee outcomes.

Best of luck with another round of ROP! I'm thinking myself of running it again next fall/winter

One thing I really like about SF is the clever use of words to demonstrate points:

"You must be strong FIRST..." then you can get hyuge or whatever :)

I have been through similar thought debates: should I focus on hypertrophy or strength for this cycle or block or whatever...?

Every time I have settled for strength and feeling energetic and well in my body. I have not gained much size at this point, but I have gained some.

Goals change also as we age for sure.. I like to feel more muscular for sure but the general approach in this forum is having that as a side effect of the strength training thats why is healthier than many hypertrophic focus programs out there.

Practicing strenghts lead you to many things inside this forum...maybe you didn't care about your eating, sleeping habits, overall sitting positions or time and so many other stuff.

Realizing that improving all this things lead you to be stronger and actually becoming stronger has the side effect of building muscle, get leaner, improve your overall endurance, change body composition etc..

So yes, as @bluejeff mentioned, you get strong first...the rest will follow and this forum will keep your spark of curiosity always on, thats what matter the most.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom