all posts post new thread

Old Forum Greasing the Groove and Running PR's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

23rdwave

Level 5 Valued Member
After 4 weeks of bodyweight exercises (one-arm push up progressions, pistol squat progressions, fighter pull ups, toes to the bar leg raises), kettlebell swings and rack carries using Dan John's 40-Day Program (don't worry Dan advises that 20 days may be all you need but 80 would not be a bad idea either) I began using the grease the groove method with handstands, one-arm push ups, pistols and one-arm chin progressions. I have been using GTG as my preferred training method for the last 3 years. Before I had a 32kg kettlebell and had completed the Rite of Passage with the 24kg, I gtg'd kb clean and presses using both one ladder to 3 (1 x 1,2,3) and 3 ladders to 3 (3 x 1,2,3). It was not long before I could clean and press the 24kg for over 100 reps a day 4 days a week. But primarily I have used it with bodyweight exercises and especially pullups. Today I gtg'd fighter pull ups (20 x 6), one arm push ups (10 x 1/1) and pistols (5 x 3/3).

I am 46 5' 9.5" 195lb and have been running since I was 15. Like most people I did it for fitness but especially because my high school soccer coach mentioned my lack of aerobic conditioning in the report card. He still named me team MVP so no hard feelings. I actually work at my old school and he is still there and we both still run. I used to hate every step until one day on Venice Beach when I ran 8 miles instead of my regular 4 miles from the Venice jetty to the Santa Monica pier and back. All those long miles under my feet led to running ultramarathons and coaching cross country and track and field. Coaching young athletes to get faster and stronger I stepped in and did as much speed work as I could with them. The faster I ran the more I liked it but when the xc and t&f seasons would come to an end the winter cold and summer heat were not friendly to my new athletic ambitions. In November 2012 I ran a pr for 1 hour during the first half of my usual 2 hour run through the riparian forest along the American River in Sacramento, CA. It is a meandering horse and foot trail where I must stare down rattlesnakes, coyotes and trespassing mountain bikers while running through creeks and over, under and through fallen trees. Once it gets cold all that speed work I have put in the bank becomes highly devalued. My currency has little purchase power. I will have to wait a while for another pr. But this winter in California has been one of the warmest so my money is good. In the past my opportunities to run a pr pace were few if not far between. Starting on November 17 I have run 6 pr's on this same trail including 42:09 for 5.5 miles (7:39 mile pace), 1:00:00 for 7.5 miles (8:00) and running near pr pace for 1 hour and then making it back in 56:25. These negative splits as they are called (running the second half of the run at a faster pace) have been my bread and butter for the past year. If the weather had not stayed in the 60's I may have never known how well I had improved.

Running hard and with purpose is one of the most challenging endeavors for any athlete but those of us who are not built like antelopes do not have to lie all day in the tall grass. I challenge all strength athletes to get out there and run. Marty Gallagher would approve. The stronger I get ( 1st full range pistol Dec. 20 and one-arm push up Jan. 5) the faster I get. Both times I completed the ROP with the 24kg I ran a pr the next day. Strength Speed and Endurance can all benefit each other.

"In Yui Shosetsu's military instructions, 'The Way of the Three Ultimates,' there is a passage on the character of karma. He received an oral teaching of about eighteen chapters concerning the Greater Bravery and the Lesser Bravery. He neither wrote them down nor committed them to memory but rather forgot them completely. Then, in facing real situations, he acted on impulse and the things that he had learned became wisdom of his own. This is the character of karma."  Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure - The Book of the Samurai

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom