all posts post new thread

Old Forum Great blog on realistic muscle gain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Read it twice and still don't know where I stand on it. In principle I find myself agreeing to the statement that based on a long career even for people whos sport it is to put on muscle if you divide it on the amount of year spent it will be a low muscle/year gain. The exact number may vary. And I agree that most will be packed on in a short frame of time when the person get's going for real (like Dan Johns famous example of 40 pounds of muscle in a short time).

Here is another thing I find myself thinking about too: If you're in it for the muscle. How fast do you hit, say, 90% of your genetical potentinal at wich the gains slow down hard(or at whatever % of genetical potential you choose)? Is it after that first short frame of time?

On the other hand I think gaining muscle, realistically for most of us, is a 6-12 week project once a year. The rest of the year spent mostly on strength and other goals. I'll go as high, for people who need the muscle, as 24 weeks and that is 2 blocks of 12 week muscle gaining with strength periods inbetween.

Good article overall. Even if I don't know if all the claims are exact in principle I agree.

Interesting article, but I think his premise needs a tweak.

If you're already lean and fairly muscular, then incremental gains like he desribes makes sense. But if you're +25% bodyfat and just starting out, you're more likely to shed fat and pack on muscle.

I use the analogy of a novice and intermediate strength trainer; when you start out, you can easily add 10-20 lbs to the bar every other week. Once you've reached close to your potential, the increases slow down and the curve tapers off...you add weight much more slowly.

Bottom line is he's right....once you've entered into the intermediate/advanced level, expect slow & incremental gains...this is where wisdom, patience, and discipline really kick in!

-KUJO

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom