all posts post new thread

Old Forum Grind Starts with Lateral Momentum

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Grind Starts with Lateral Momentum – two lifts I’m thinking of below – appreciate comments on these techniques. Are they good, bad, good or bad for some but not others, are they legal where they’re contested (Beast Challenge, PL meet)?

Kettlebell Military Press – lifter racks bell close to centerline, starts it outward by moving forearm to vertical before pressing up.

Barbell Deadlift – lifter starts well behind the bar, rolls the bar towards him then pulls up as it reaches his shins.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

I don't know about the legality of the moves, but I do believe I have seen videos of men doing it with the DL at strongmen type deadlift meets. During my most recent deadlifting run I started using it slightly with a rocking start. I would start with my shins touching the bar and angled slightly forward. Then I would rock back and achieve vertical shins and go up. Of course the bar follows the shins, so I would get about 1-2 inches at max of horizontal roll before really leaving the floor. Seemed to work really well for me. I hit double BW 185kg at 92kg this way, with less effort than I have previously achieved double BW when I was lighter last year.

Thank you, James.  I'm pretty sure it's legal in most PL federations and would love to hear from more people.

I'd also like to know what everyone thinks about it for the kb press.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom