all posts post new thread

Old Forum Grip Failure issues with swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chazak

Level 1 Valued Member
Greetings,

I am experiencing a lot of frustration with my swings.  I have been doing 53 pound swings for about 5 weeks now, and have not been able to move beyond 5 sets.  By the end of the fourth set my grip, especially on my right hand, starts to fail.  By swing 6 or 7 of the 5th set i'm desperately trying to not to let go of the bell.  I've been stopping at 5 sets, with lots of rest in between, because I don't want to rush.

The getups at 53 pounds are hella hard also, but I just started that a week ago so I'm not worried about it.  Again, though, my right forearm is screaming by the time i'm done.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Loving all of StrongFirst's and Pavels stuff!  thanks to everyone

This has been mentioned before on the forum, but a gripper from Ironmind might be useful.  I purchased this one (the 100 lb version) and it really seemed to help:  http://www.ironmind-store.com/Trainer-Captains-of-Crush-Hand-Gripper/productinfo/1250/ Also, don't forget to buy the 'expand your hand' bands. I'm having trouble finding them on the Ironmind site but Amazon sells them here:  http://www.amazon.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands-10-Pack-Goodbye/dp/B00083B79M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432658225&sr=8-1&keywords=expand+your+hand+bands

Farmer's carries have helped my grip endurance, prescribed by Al Ciampa in my SFG prep training plan.  4 times, 90 seconds each, at the end of a training session, as heavy as you can go.  (Note, this will be a lot less "heavy" than what you can farmer's carry for 20 or 30 seconds).  It's such a simple exercise, hard to go wrong here... I would think you could also do this at another point during the day other than your designated training time, because you don't work up much of a sweat.

I thought It would not be a good idea to actually do grip work aside from the swings, as they may get overworked.  Can i use grippers ( i actually have the 100 pound one that was linked) or farmers carries and not over fatigue the forearms?

I've been using the grippers without any problems.  I do them on days where I don't do S&S, and am careful not to overtrain (I think the guide says to keep it to 3 or 4 x 5 reps.) But it works for me.

Dmitry, not sure on the overworked question, someone else can answer I'm sure.

Whether grippers or farmer's carries probably depends on whether it's a "grip strength" or "grip endurance" issue.  I would say, try carrying a 24 or 32kg in both hands for 60 sec and see if it gives you trouble.  If so, endurance might be more of the problem.

On the good side...  that your swing is challenging your grip suggests that you probably have a good powerful swing!

Also for your swings, use your thumb opposite the fingers as part of the grip (not just a hook grip with fingers) and use chalk, if it helps.

When I first started doing one arm swings, I would gradually incorporate them to my training.

Maybe at the moment you could do something like 24T-24R-24L-24T-24R-24L-24T-24R-24L-24with enough rest in between. Then after a while you can add a couple more of one arm swings. And then finally do them all one handed.

I imagine you already know you're supposed to hook the handle with your fingers and not your palm. You can focus on this: wrap your thumb around your fingers so it remains on top of your index or middle finger. Try to keep it there during swings. In other words, try to not let your hands open too much.

Do not grip the kettlebell hard, just try to not let your hand open and your thumb move away from your fingers.

http://www.strongfirst.com/simple-sinister-progressing-from-two-to-one-handed-swings/

The above article by Steve Friedes helped me considerably when I had grip issues going one handed with the 32. Can't remember exactly but building upto about 5 or 6 sets caused all sorts of chaos with my grip. Used the suggested protocol and it worked a treat, getting me to 10x10. Really don't know if adding additional grip work would be beneficial or not with more demands placed on you, doing a gradual change means your grip strengthens gradually with less fatigue AND you are still swinging and getting the numbers in.

Cut the volume back and build up gradually. If you fall apart at 5 sets of 10, then cut back to 4 sets of 8.

Dmitry, the solution is: get stronger.  In your place with your problem, which I have absolutely been in myself, I always recommend cutting way back on swings or eliminating them altogether for a while in favor of limit strength grip work - the barbell deadlift is my favorite.

Try deadlifting instead of swinging for a while, and I predict you will come back to your swings with better grip endurance.  Of course, ease back into the volume of your swings when you do return.

I cannot explain why, the converse is also true: when I have had deadlift grip strength issues, doing kettlebell swings has helped me improve.

-S-

Dmitry - I had horrendous grip issues after five years in a commercial gym. My arms where strong but my grip weak and the imbalance caused massive pain and loss of hand motor function to the point a sports physio actually thought I had a distal bicep tendon rupture AND compartment syndrome! A consequence of using machines and lifting straps. KB's sorted out the imbalance but it took time and it was painful. My grip is now in silver-back territory. Anna's advice on chalk is sound but only use an absolute bare minimum as too much will cause the skin to stick to the handle and exacerbate the formation of callouses if not tear the skin outright. I found Farmer Carries to be the best way to build grip - you can do suitcase carries if you only have one bell. If you have two bell of different sizes you can Farmer Carry them and swap over sides between sets. Having a mismatch in weights for double work isn't a disadvantage - it builds stability and resilience.

Chalk helps me - but my problem always felt like the kettlebell was slipping rather than outright grip failure.

I have much less problem with callouses pinching with chalk.

Finishing off the sets with two handed swings really helped me when transitioning between weights.

On the plus side in another 5 weeks when you are banging out 100 one handed swings you won't believe you could ever have had a problem.

Hello Dmitry,

I believe all of the above is good advice, but I highly encourage to begin with 'Tamer's advice. In fact I would take it a step further and suggest you add PLAY sessions where you experiment with new lifts and get some extra practice swing reps. Just spending time picking up a 'bell will improve grip strength/stamina. I little patience and a playful attitude will go a long way in my experience.

I suggest the above because I do not know what equipment access you have. If you are anything like me when I picked up a kettlebell 11 years ago, I didn't have (or want) other gear. In fact, that used to be selling point for the lovely little hunks of iron. I now deadlift, own too many grippers, and went through a chalk phase. But as suggested by Pnigro as your technique improves so will the demands on your grip. Of course, I would seek out an SFG whenever possible.

Dmitry, simply take longer rest between set, as long as you need to recover your grip.

You can do finger extensions with rubber bands between sets to speed up the recovery.

Thanks Pavel!  Always appreciate that you take the time to answer my noob questions :)

Happened to have some iron mind bands laying around so I used them in between swings this morning. It's like magic. :)

"Greetings,

I am experiencing a lot of frustration with my swings.  I have been doing 53 pound swings for about 5 weeks now, and have not been able to move beyond 5 sets.  By the end of the fourth set my grip, especially on my right hand, starts to fail.  By swing 6 or 7 of the 5th set i’m desperately trying to not to let go of the bell.  I’ve been stopping at 5 sets, with lots of rest in between, because I don’t want to rush.

The getups at 53 pounds are hella hard also, but I just started that a week ago so I’m not worried about it.  Again, though, my right forearm is screaming by the time i’m done.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Loving all of StrongFirst’s and Pavels stuff!  thanks to everyone." -Dmitry

Dmitry,

I am throwing my hat in the ring on this question, because grip strength is kind of, "my (only) thing."  :)

This is a simple fix.  Not "easy," but fixable.

If I'm reading right, you are stopping at a total of about 50 one-hand swings with the 24kg kettlebell.  So, 25 per hand.

How many times per week are you doing the one-hand swing with the 24kg KB?

Here's what I would recommend:

One-hand swing 2 or 3 times per week.  Always with at least a day between the swing days.

DAY 1:  S&S (which is what I assume you are doing?), or exactly what you are doing now.  Don't push too hard.  But try to grip the kettlebell handle the least amount necessary to perform the rep.  Don't limp grip it.  You want to be safe and powerful.  But until something is second nature, we are always going to grip too hard when we're getting used to an exercise where we hold onto something.
DAY 2: Expand Your Horizons.  Since 50 total one-hand swings is your current "limit" - your goal for this workout is 60 total one-hand swings.  You will be able to do this total because you won't be trying to outrun the clock.  That won't help improve your ability to hold onto the kettlebell if you are rushing and not recovering your ability to continue to grip the kettlebell.  You will just continue to bump up against the grip endurance ceiling that you're temporarily flirting with.  Instead, do sets of 3 reps with LONG RESTS between sets.  Switch hands every set.  I'd do this on a day when you don't mind taking up to an hour - if you need it to reach the 60 reps total goal.
DAY 3: Optional.  Another Expand Your Horizons session.  Up the rep total by 4 to 8 reps total.  You might be tempted to go for 70 reps total this time.  Resist the urge.  Just take it nice and slow.  A few months of adding 4 to 8 reps total and you will DESTROY your previous ability many times over.

Please let me know how it works out for you if you decide to give this a shot!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom